Wheelchair use

If the team could improve FitBit for wheelchair use this would be wonderful.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

128 Comments
DaveThiessen
First Steps
Yeah I’m hoping that if there will be enough support they will put some R&D into it and put it into their next update!

Sent from my iPhone
VeronicaG
Jogger

I am able bodied, but my boyfriend is in a wheelchair. We walked together while I wore my Fitbit flex 2 and he wore a cheap knock off tracker (to see if wheeling would track at all).. to say there was a significant difference is an understatement. We returned the cheap one and he's now looking for a high quality one - unfortunately only apple makes trackers with wheelchair mode (hand motion to wheel, speed, HR, etc.) We have Android devices, or else we'd consider the Apple watch. I love my Fitbit, it keeps me active, and that's what he wants too. 

Also, he really doesn't like the square screen look... Maybe start designing some with round faces that look more like watches - expand your market. 

hotinerie
Jogger

I would love to see FitBit create a device for wheelchair users that tracks pushes.  Apple watch has created a device and FitBit is behind the curve.  I might be forced to switch to Apple watch.

Rialou
First Steps

I’d like to see a wheelchair mode as not all of your users (including my self) are fully able bodied. I am not in a wheel chair any longer my self but I will be back there one day. Maybe even go above and beyond Apple and include workout routines for those of us with with physical disabilities. Also a stop smoking app would be amazing 

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Rialou! Thank you for sharing your suggestion. I merged your idea into this suggestion because they are very similar. Regarding the "stop smoking app" I recommend to post a new feature suggestion. Do not forget to give kudos by clicking on the thumbs up button.

dave1967
Keeping Pace

Both my kids are wheelchair users, So I end up pushing them quite a it. It would be nice if there was an exercise for people who push wheelchairs or pushchairs, and have steps and distance calculated correctly.  Or is their an exciting exercise that could be substituted for this. I can not be the only person with this problem there must be lots of parent and carers out there who have this problem.  

RugbyDragon
First Steps

Also using wheels, I find the flex 2 fairly accurate for normal steps/pushes but there is no capacity for any wheelchair sports. As you advertise the story of a guy in a chair to now doing sport this is really frustrating..I enjoy playing rugby, American football and athletics as well as just swimming and the gym so am quite active...but the majority of the sports you do offer aren’t possible, and it doesn’t detect these.

@Conrad_Valmont wrote:

If the team could improve FitBit for wheelchair use this would be wonderful.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

Please could you add a few wheelie sports and the option for steps or equiv so that it isn’t assumed every one’s legs cooperate! Thanks 😊

Wedgendary
First Steps

I would like to have you expand options for wheelchair users, I believe adding a monitor to both wrist could add to the accuracy for wheelchair users. This would monitor the activity in the two primary modes of action. This would give a true exercise monitoring experience.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Wedgendary, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here.

Siue886
Jogger

I would like to see Fitbit count steps for wheelchair users if they are going backwards 

DaveDes
Jogger

As an active wheelchair user( up to 50 km/day in the spring, summer and fall), an app for your smart watch line, that accurately monitors a push or arm revolution would bring me back to Fitbit. As it would numerous other wheelchair athletes. I know it can be done, another company, that I'm not fond of, and have no use for brags about it in their advertising, so it's a matter of making a fitbit app to facilitate. I know what you're thinking...but other work out doesn't cut it when you want specifics. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @DaveDes ! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

Sibyalicious
Jogger

It would be wonderful for the Fitbit’s developers to add counting “steps” / pushes for wheelchair users

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Sibyalicious, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

Sibyalicious
Jogger

Thank you for adding my suggestion.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Bella9374
First Steps

I'm a double amputee and use a wheelchair. I purchased a Fitbit 2 hoping it would be a good fit but is missing many of my propelling movements. Please update your software for wheelchair settings, many of us would find it beneficial especially because it's so important for all of us to continue to be as active as possible to have good health.

RugbyDragon
First Steps
Well apparently doing an asda shop in a wheelchair equates to 14 lengths of my local pool! Who’d have thought it?

Sent from my iPad
TinkerHell
First Steps

I think it's disgusting that after so many years FitBit still hasn't implimented settings for wheelchair users. 

Wheelie01
First Steps
I totally agree

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Sibyalicious
Jogger

@TinkerHell @Wheelie01 I suggested that some time ago and was told that it had already been brought to Fitbit’s attention so in other words “go away, we are aware” but I’ve not seen any changes. 

My 1 ½ hr tennis session credits me with 32 minutes if I’m lucky.  Ok, I’m no pro but c’mon ……

Susanag
First Steps

I would like to see wheelchair exercises or modified exercises for the disabled. An exercise program would be awesome. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Susanag! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Mummyjames
Jogger

I have a fitbit Inspire HR and quite frankly it's not fit for purpose as a disabled customer. It doesnt ever pickup on my activity when I got to paracheer with is 90mins a week of lifting another adult above my head. Quite frankly that's a workout able bodied or not but it doesnt pick anything up in the 90mins other than a few more steps. It doesnt have any wheelchair options or a way I can turn it off so it doesnt track my powerchair as steps. Finally the wrist band is causing a burn like mark on my wrists after every few days. I have to keep alternating it and I know from looking on here that I am not the only one with the exact same problems. 

Stop failing the wheelchair community and start making those little software tweaks that allow para athletes the chance to track their activities the same as everyone else. 

hotinerie
Jogger

I use a wheelchair and have been a faithful Fitbit user for the last few years.   Although the Fitbit does NOT count my pushes accurately, it does give me a step count and a way to understand how much I move each day.  HOWEVER, as soon as my Fitbit dies I plan to get an Apple Watch which actually has a wheelchair setting.    It will allow me to accurately compete in challenges with able bodied people.   And it’s 2020....let’s keep up with the technology, Fitbit, and actually develop a product that wheelchair users can feel confident about.   

Sibyalicious
Jogger
I wrote to “Fitbit” two years ago after I had received one as a Christmas present.
I was told that they had already been made aware of that fact but I heard no further.
Pretty outrageous that the new generation of Fitbit still has no setting for wheelchair users who wheel their chairs or go to the gym for a workout.
The only thing mine picks up is if I go on the hand cycle for 30 to 60 minutes

Sent from my iPhone
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.