Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can third party app be background running on Ionic?

ANSWERED

Can third party app be background running on Ionic?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Yes and No.

The part of your app that runs on the watch can only round in the foreground. The companion which runs on the phone can be triggered at specific intervals or when the user moves significantly - that works in the background.

Check out the life cycle events documentation for more information about this.

cheers,

thomas

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Yes and No.

The part of your app that runs on the watch can only round in the foreground. The companion which runs on the phone can be triggered at specific intervals or when the user moves significantly - that works in the background.

Check out the life cycle events documentation for more information about this.

cheers,

thomas

Best Answer

Thanks!

so, in my understanding, the background music playing(after switched to other apps) and pop up customized alert(of my app) would be NO without a mobile phone nearby, right?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you got this right:

- Music will continue playing after you switch to your app. 

- Popping up notifications is a no without a phone triggering them.

thomas

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just to clarify, are you saying that I cannot write an app that pops up messages in response to sensor readings or companion messages while the watch is showing the clock face?

Best Answer
0 Votes

To do this your app has to be running (or your app has to be a clock face).

Let me know if that is not clear enough.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay, not ideal. It would be nice for apps to be able to push into the notification queue. Thanks for the response!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do sensor reading keep working when screen turns off? Is there estimate how long when e.g. accelerometer can be read (e.g. 10 Hz, batch 100) on full battery?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I posted a feature suggestion combining background processing with app-originated notifications:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Background-notifications-for-Ionic-apps/idi-p/21...

Best Answer