Background notifications for Smartwatches apps

(Looks like I've had this improperly tagged under Ionic. Should be under SDK. Fixed.)

I'd like my Ionic apps to be able to send notifications to FitBit's standard notification queue. I'm suggesting a two-part solution:

(1) Allow apps to register a background process function that the FitBit device calls on a regular basis, even when the app is not running. The app would indicate its desired wake-up frequency, but FitBit might want to set a maximum wake-up frequency to limit resource usage.

(2) Allow apps to drop messages into the notification queue that FitBit displays above the clock face. This allows apps to provide notifications without having to write a phone app to push them, which would further clutter the phone's own notification queue.

The max wake-up frequency would determine the kinds of apps that users could write. Once-an-hour wake-up would allow apps to provide reports or reminders. Once-every-N-minutes wake-up would allow apps to monitor progress and make suggestions or provide encouragement. Once-every-minute (or faster) would allow apps to provide real time notifications.

Absent this feature, app developers are forced to write their own clock apps to provide app notification services, even when a novelty clock isn't the point of the app. Alternatively, app devs could write mobile phone apps that issue app notices to the FitBit watch, but this clutters up the phone's notification queue. At present, this latter approach also requires round-tripping between the phone app and an Internet server in order to communicate with the companion.

Also, it's ideal that the app be able to do this without the phone (companion) present, so that people can rely on the FitBit without having to always have the phone around.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

26 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Are you simply requesting that a backgroind app call a popup with a message lthe dame way the notification app does?

I would think any app would be able to call thos routine, am I wrong?

jtlapp
Base Runner

The Ionic does not currently support background apps, and there is no published API for queuing notifications.

raimaj
Jogger

+ 1 for this!

We definitely need some sort of system that allows us to develop reminders / alarms like apps, that means the ability of listening to some events in background or just be notified when some events occur.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community member think.

mjsisley
First Steps

I would love to be able to use/build a more fully featured reminder/alarm app for the Ionic. The built in ones are pretty limited (ie, there is no way to do an ionic only reminder). You can get notifications from your phone, but if you are without your phone... there is no way to receive a reminder. Would be great to have the ability to trigger notifications from the background so something like this could be built.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I wonder how the step goal hit reminder can display while in the background. I was using the stopwatch when it went off, 

mjsisley
First Steps

It is possible on the device, there just isn't a developer API available for Third party apps. First party FitBit apps are already triggering from the background (steps, alarms, timers, etc...).

a.lapinski
Recovery Runner

Hello Fitbit Team, do you have any update on this matter? Do you even plan to implement this in near future?

JimBobs
Jogger

I'd like to add my support for this feature request. I'm not currently a FitBit developer but I'm investigating the possibility of developing an app for the Versa / Ionic. However an essential capability I am looking for is to allow an app to run in the background and periodically (e.g. every 2 hours) surface a notification on the watch face with UI components such as buttons or a number picker, to allow the user to quickly and easily provide a simple input. The whole point would be to provide this on the watch without cluttering the phone with notifications. From browsing the APIs and this feature request it seems like this currently isn't really possible (although I'm not familiar with the FitBit SDK so please correct me if I'm wrong!). This seems like a common feature a health-related app would benefit from.

Mbibbey
Stepping Up

A background functionality would allow developers to build a much more flexible alarm clock app with out the fear of the app being dismissed.

arthurgleckler
Recovery Runner

Would it be possible to add a companion API that supports instant delivery of messages from third-party servers?  It would be great to be able to send messages from a server to the companion app rather than forcing the app to long-poll to retrieve them.  For example, my watch face displays messages retrieved from a server, and it would be nice if new messages were delivered instantly rather than every ten minutes, which is how often I poll currently.

Thanks very much.

P.S.: I'm submitting this because JonFitbit asked that I submit it based on my post in the SDK Development forum.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I would also like this. I'm frustrated with how long it takes to start a timer with the builtin app. Developing a better one doesn't seem possible without this feature.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Thanks for your suggestion @arthurgleckler: it's a duplication of Background notifications for Ionic apps.

arthurgleckler
Recovery Runner

This really isn't a duplication of that suggestion.  I'm asking for instant notification without polling so that I can display specific information in the watch face itself.  The other suggestion is for notifications to be displayed in Fitbit's over-watch-face area even when the watch face isn't running, and for them to be delivered through polling, which is pretty much the opposite of what I'm requesting.

arthurgleckler
Recovery Runner

A standards-compliant way to support this feature would be to support EventSource.  That would be just perfect, and super simple.

Rajid
Base Runner
tfenster
Stepping Up

@SunsetRunner Would you have any update or status on this? I've built a custom app where just that one part is missing. It works if I keep the app open, but that obviously is not a good solution you can rely on. Maybe as a first step it could be possible to keep a messaging socket open in the background and an incoming message could trigger the app to start again? Not ideal but maybe a fair tradeoff?

Hey  @SunsetRunner,

Is there any update on this feature and if it'll be added to the roadmap anytime soon (or rejected)? I had someone request a feature in an app I had that would only work if this were allowed.

lawrey
Jogger

Hey @SunsetRunner, any updates on this? I am currently developing a POC and it requires this background feature to proceed. 

JWDT
First Steps

This would definitely be helpful.

I was thinking about an app design that would benefit from being able to "sleep" for X minutes, or alternatively be able to be woken up to do something every X minutes.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Lets say you get a calendar app and add some events. I think it would be good if you could get notifications from apps on your smartwatch rather than just from the phone.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Remember to add your vote.

Leks1011
Jogger

@LuciaFitbit  any updates on this feature?

kazuhiro-mat
First Steps

I really need this feature!

Without this,  I can't create even simple timers running in the background. 

that0n3guy
Jogger
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.