Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display error message if messaging socket not open in Companion

ANSWERED

Hi all,

Could someone tell me if and how I can display an error message in the clock Settings/Companion if message socket is not OPEN? The Fitbit Settings Guide example code below works fine if the messaging socket is OPEN, but if the socket is not OPEN, I would like to display some error message in the user screeen (Companion/Settings of the smartphone) instead of console.log.

function sendSettingData(data) {
   if (messaging.peerSocket.readyState === messaging.peerSocket.OPEN) {
      messaging.peerSocket.send(data);
   } else {
      console.log("No peerSocket connection");
   }
}

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

This can be done (and it's a great idea!), but it's a bit tricky/cumbersome.

First, I'd create a <Text> or equivalent element in index.jsx that displays the error message.

Then, use a conditional statement in your index.jsx that will only render that message when a certain setting item has a certain value (something like getItem('socketClosed')==='true'). There's a very brief example in the <Toggle> documentation, I think.

Then, in your companion index.js, set the value of that setting item wherever appropriate (and it may need to be in multiple places). This should cause the Settings page to magically show or hide the corresponding setting element.

(All of the code snippets above are incomplete and untested.)

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

This can be done (and it's a great idea!), but it's a bit tricky/cumbersome.

First, I'd create a <Text> or equivalent element in index.jsx that displays the error message.

Then, use a conditional statement in your index.jsx that will only render that message when a certain setting item has a certain value (something like getItem('socketClosed')==='true'). There's a very brief example in the <Toggle> documentation, I think.

Then, in your companion index.js, set the value of that setting item wherever appropriate (and it may need to be in multiple places). This should cause the Settings page to magically show or hide the corresponding setting element.

(All of the code snippets above are incomplete and untested.)

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer

Thank you Peter for your solution idea. I'll try to learn and use the conditional rendering of element in index.jsx as you suggested.

Best Answer

Here's another little example. It doesn't do what you want, but might help.

<Page>
      {props.settingsStorage.getItem('calendarsOptions') && props.settingsStorage.getItem('calendarsOptions')==='[]' &&
        <TextImageRow label="No calendars available!" sublabel="Check calendar permissions." icon={warningIcon}/>
      }
      <Button label="Sync now" onClick={() => props.settingsStorage.setItem('syncBtn', 'true')}/>

</Page>
Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes