Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic won't update to new Beta OS

My Ionic wasn't getting prompted to update to 27.30.5.8 (I was on 27.30.3.2).  I tried resetting both watch & phone, unpairing / repairing the watch, and uninstalling / reinstalling the Fitbit app (on Android).

I finally did a Factory reset on the Ionic and now it's downgraded me to 27.25.16.7.

What do I need to do to get back on the Developer Beta release?

Best Answer
0 Votes
25 REPLIES 25

Did you previously ask to be removed from the developer preview?

You could try this:

• Log out of studio.fitbit.com
  • Log out of www.fitbit.com
  • Log out of the Fitbit mobile app
  • Login in to studio.fitbit.com
  • Login to the Fitbit mobile app
Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope -- have not asked to be removed from the developer preview.

I tried following your steps.  Gave it around 10 minutes before logging back into studio.fitbit.com & mobile app.  Have been logged in for over an hour and still no prompt to download the Beta OS.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have manually added you to the firmware group, force quit the mobile app and hopefully the firmware will appear.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @JonFitbit!  That did the trick.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please also to add manual again, thanks.

0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JonFitbit I have a similar issue with my new FitBit and I wonder if you could do some magic to get it to update.

I purchased Ionic a couple of weeks back to try out and I registered with it to used FitBit Studio. The watch was updated to FitBit OS beta and I was able to try out the new SDK. I eventually decided to return that watch, but luckily I won't another one during FitBit meetup event. So now I would like to use the SDK again in order to work on some apps and watch faces, but the new watch is not getting the beta version of the OS. I tried following posted instructions, but so far no luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Request for renewed inclusion in the SDK Development Project.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner, how can I make such request?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner @vitalyk I've added you both

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @JonFitbit! I got the update as soon as I opened the app.

This should be added to documentation somewhere. Perhaps the troubleshooting section of https://dev.fitbit.com/getting-started

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to thank you, worked out. Greetings from Mecklenburg in Germany.

Ich möchte mich bei Dir bedanken, hat geklappt. Grüße aus Mecklenburg in Deutschland.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you manauly add me back. I asked to be removed but I was a big mistake 🙂 thanks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get the prompt, but can't get the update to finish downloading. Have tried with mobile signal (which is generally faster than my satellite internet) and also with wifi.  Have forced closed the app, restarted the watch and turned bluetooth on and off multiple times.  No luck.  I had similar problems with the initial setup of the watch.  I suspect it's due to having a slow connection.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ruthiepg you need to connect your Ionic to WiFi otherwise firmware upload takes too long and will eventually time out. I was able to connect my Fitbit to my phone's hotspot, but make sure it's 2.4GHz and not 5.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My WiFi is slower than my phone. I spent an hour on the phone with customer service last night. Still couldn't get it to download. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue for me.  I signed up to the dev program when I got my Ionic a while ago, but never was prompted to update the firmware.  Please advise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ruthiepg @ssass24 

1. Go to studio.fitbit.com and logout
  2. Go to www.fitbit.com and logout
  3. Logout of the Fitbit mobile app
  4. Go to studio.fitbit.com and login (accept the enrolment if prompted).
  5. Login to the Fitbit mobile app, you should get the beta firmware.

Let me know if this doesn't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried this twice now, (first time was over a week ago), and I am still on 27.30.3.2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BayssMekanique wrote:

I have tried this twice now, (first time was over a week ago), and I am still on 27.30.3.2.

I think you need to factory reset to get of that particular version, sorry.

Best Answer
0 Votes