Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Versa 4 missing features

I found something minimally promising that apparently the "in development" versions of the fitbit SDK do have the "hera" (aka Versa 4) target available. I was able to build the template app and submit it to the gallery (private because I don't want people trying to use a hello world app) but my next roadblock is the CLI doesn't seem to be able to see my device, so I assume I'm not doing something right as I had it in a state where it found it but failed to talk to it and error'd out.

An error was encountered when loading the list of available device hosts: An error was encountered when loading the list of available USB hosts: LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND

Maybe if we can bombard the gallery with interesting apps Fitbit will toggle the real gallery view on?

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

HI @Tsaukpaetra - I moved your post to this forum where you will get better answers.

There has been no announcement of an SDK being available for use so it is normal not to be able to link to it as that feature is not available.

You can use private links to load things to a watch but no remote watch testing is available for the Versa 4 or Sense 2. To do testing you will need to display any errors on the watch face.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Guy_ wrote:

HI @Tsaukpaetra - I moved your post to this forum where you will get better answers.

Wasn't seeking to get answers, but I appreciate the gesture.

@Guy_ wrote:

There has been no announcement of an SDK being available for use so it is normal not to be able to link to it as that feature is not available.

Normal to not be able to link to... what? The #master branch on the github? You've baffled me.

@Guy_ wrote:

You can use private links to load things to a watch but no remote watch testing is available for the Versa 4 or Sense 2. To do testing you will need to display any errors on the watch face.

This is demonstrably false, as the gallery is explicitly disabled for Versa 4 devices in the App view. I'm not entirely sure where you perceived I was asking for help for remote testing, but I'll try to be less obscure in the future.

As-is, the test app I build currently kernel-panics the watch (most likely due to mismatch between the public API and the beta API versions).

My only intent was to give what is clearly a long list of concerned users some hope that we were not shunned by Fitbit as an attempt by Google to force everyone onto the Google side. I have clearly failed in this regard, but again, I appreciate that the community is apparently still active.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tsaukpaetra- thanks your intent was appreciated, however unless Fitbit actually release something it may be giving false hope to prematurely indicate the future.

Incidentally you can't load private links from the Clocks or Apps section in the Gallery tile, only published ones.

The response was concerning about using CLI to see your device and the error message posted.

As regards forcing people to the Pixel, this is just a popular misconception, as that watch does not have a good battery life which is one of the reasons people buy the Fitbit, so in all likelihood it will force them to other brands especially if they are dissatisfied with the Versa 4 or Sense 2, as it seems many are doing.

In all probability the complexity of switching to a new UI was grossly under estimated and the new watches were released before the development was complete.

We are over 7 months into the normally 2 year life cycle of the new watches already with still no official sign of support for developer apps or clocks and in all probability into the dwindling sales area where less developers [ or users] are interested anymore.

What the future holds is still uncertain but thanks for your interest and help and intent, it's good to still have passionate members.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I ended up resolving the libusb error through some unorthodox driver manipulation. Apparently Microsoft Windows 11 ships older winusb drivers that libusb can't talk to properly anymore, so swapping those out let that part go through.

It's quite interesting though that others seem to have gotten the beta sdk running (apparently), so it seems support should be really close. I do wonder what the holdup is, beyond typical Google abandonment. 🤔

I assume it's something silly like "can't filter out apps that rely on Internet connectivity" or something like that. 😁

Best Answer

@Tsaukpaetra- thanks for the update.

In all probability as there is no revenue stream from providing a free SDK for the few interested developers/users, it is low or an inexistent priority to provide one, especially as an official documented SDK requires a lot of work to accommodate the new UI and support for the free Fitbit Studio, hence it too was simply removed. There is more work required on getting the new UI to work fully on new watches first, with the remaining development team, that weren't moved to help with the Pixel.

In any case Google probably merely wanted the Fitbit App platform. infrastructure and know how, not the brand..

Knowing this could also explain why Pandora and Deezer abandoned support for the Fitbit watches, realising there was no or little future revenue stream.

It would seem it's merely a case of follow the money unfortunately.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, I'm also running into the issue 'LIBUSB_ERROR_NOT_FOUND' when trying to connect to the versa 4 with any of the newer SDKs/ CLI.

How did you end up swapping out your winusb driver?

What a headache for even trying to get the default watch face running 😮

Best Answer
0 Votes

Essentially, I used VisualGDB's UsbDriverTool, found the watch (It was listed as a USB composite device with Vendor ID 2687, Device ID FD13, no interface), and used the "Install LibUSB - WinUSB" option on it like so:

Tsaukpaetra_0-1685077026966.png

That allowed it to be visible in the tool. Apparently, Windows will detect the fitbit as a set of special serial ports and the tool doesn't like that. 😅 

Best Answer

There's a chance that an update to Fitbit firmware to support debugging might change this behaviour. I hope changes to drivers can be undone!

Peter McLennan
Gondwana Software
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, there's an option to restore original driver, works like a charm.

Best Answer

Awesome, thanks so much Tsaukpaetra!

It worked- so can actually access the Versa4. Was about to return it to swap for a Versa2- kinda crazy they appear to have abandoned it. Makes you wonder if Google plans to tank fitbit in favor of its product line.

Best Answer
0 Votes