Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wet sleeves keep interacting with Sense 2 screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Since Fitbit can't be bothered with implementing touch screen lock (commonly known as water lock), are there any users workarounds to prevent moisture from interacting with the screen? Today 2 of 3 of my runs have been prematurely terminated because of my base layer sleeve. I also had a problem with navigating the menu. As soon as I pulled the sleeve back the "ghost" touches started. The temperature in the UK dropped and now wearing more clothing is a must, especially on long endurance runs when the HR won't get that much up. I know I could lift my sleeve up but it's just too cold (and I hate to have freezing wrists). Even trying to keep the sleeve above the watch, I don't want to keep fixing it when it slides down onto the screen. Any working "homebrew" solution to that problem?

Edit: I decided to record a short video showing what the issue is. I turned on the shower and made the flow similar to the rainy weather I run from time to time. This shows that the screen lock is a must. The issue I described at the beginning of this post is very similar yet more serious. The wet sleeve is rubbing on the screen which is more likely to produce touch events (which killed my two runs). Also, just a drizzle from the sky is enough to make touch navigation very frustrating (but with a single button there isn't really much choice).

Nobody ever experienced this issue? Am I the only one running in moderate to heavy rain? 😄 What about people from Seattle? 🤣

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lij_PtknlDQ

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

I certainly haven't had any experience with this as I don't run outside (well, maybe once a year I do) - I just do the treadmill. But, I was wondering if a screen protector would help at all? Perhaps it would desensitize it enough for your purposes? Maybe someone who has both used a screen protector and runs in the rain could chime in?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a similar problem with Sense and Ionic and had a screen protector only for Ionic and that brought a different issue. Condensation was forming between the protector and screen and that on its own made "ghost" touches (the UK climate wasn't helping :)). I haven't had experience with screen protectors on Sense and Sense 2.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JerryHam I updated my first post with a video showing the nature of the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This seems to be an issue with many touch screen devices. I don't know why some are affected, while others are not. I assume it is in the driver's. Some touch screens simply do not work when wet.

Is there an adjustment for us, No

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue ... or Fitbit could implement water lock? Maybe doing it the same way as it's done on Samsung Galaxy 5? Option in settings to turn it on, long press button to turn it off 🤷‍:male_sign: Every other watch with touchscreen I own already has such option but not Fitbit. It's like they never tested it in the rain, shower or any wet conditions.

During my last race on Sunday, I put a plastic cover (from SDCard little box, the size quite matched) on top of screen and placed watch under wristband so it wouldn't move. It meant that I had to start tracking my race a few minutes sooner (didn't want to fiddle with it after crossing start line). It was heavy raining so chances something would go wrong were significant (and my sleeves ended up soaking wet both from rain and sweat). That worked fine. Maybe the lid was an overkill and wristband would be enough but I was worried that it would get wet eventually. The trade-off is no access to the watch but at least it won't stop recording 🙄

Best Answer
0 Votes

Received a Sense2 for Christmas after using the Blaze for many years.  While running I have multiple layers and gloves on.  The fabric from the gloves and shirts brushes against the face of the Sense 2 and stops tracking the exercise.  Is there a way to prevent this other than not having anything touch the face of the watch.  With the Blaze you had to press a button to end the exercise making wearing layers and gloves a non issue 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I described this issue here . The problem isn't sleeve but sweat making the sleeve wet and that sends touch evens to the watch. You can try to put something on top of the screen that will prevent moisture from interacting with screen but there is no really better way of doing it but keep watch uncovered (unless it rains then anything may happen 🤣).

Best Answer
0 Votes

My first thought would be to put a terry wrist band on 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tried doing using the lock so a button push was required to turn on the screen, but I still got an alert asking me if I wanted to stop my exercise. I am not convinced it is the sleeve rubbing anymore, but need to do some more tests.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@drdab77 the question you see appears if you keep the watch longer in the pause state (it doesn't have to be very long). So it may be a sleeve. To pause the activity you need to swipe the screen up which is very easy to imitate with a wet sleeve. However, the same thing will see by pausing activity by pressing the button.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please  upvote this here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Lock-screen-buttons-during-exercise-for-all-Fitb...

for me is completely annoying to have a fitness tracking device that keeps pausing/stopping recording my exercises when is cold and O use a jacket…

Common Fitbit, you can do it better!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes