Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darker Skin Tone Heart Rate Not Read Properly

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just upgraded to a Sense 1 from a Versa 2. Until the bitter end my Versa 2 was able to properly read my heart rate and give me proper zone points. I worked out with the Sense 1 two days in a row and I noticed my zone points were very low. I did sprints for 25 minutes and weights for 40 minutes. I received only 40 zone points. With my Versa 2 I would.have had at least double that. I've read it is possible for fitness trackers to have a difficult time reading darker skin tones properly. Is anyone else experiencing this issue with the Sense 1?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Hi @NadiaB the closest to your situation is people who have dark ink tattoos on their wrists. A few of them had the Sense and it didn't pick up their heart rate properly. Could be a similar situation for you. I've asked a Fitbit Moderator to stop by to address this with you.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, thanks for reaching out. From what I've read, there have been fitness trackers that have an issue with properly being able to read POC HR properly due to the trackers being beta tested on lighter skin tones verses ours. Apparently,  it's not just POC who are having issues with the Sense. I spoke to someone today and apparently a lot of customers are having the HR issue. They claim it's been escalated to the highest department so hopefully our Senses will be working properly soon.

Best Answer

Hi @NadiaB - while there are many factors that affect how HR is determined on a Sense it would seem there is a flaw with the way it works for many people in the forums.

For some it over reads, in my case almost double in some exercises and for others it under reads. This has been observed since it was released in September 2020.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit devices tend to not be accurate during weight training. The algorithm seems to miss some heartrate bursts.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are so correct.  That's why I miss having Active Zone points. With those you didn't feel cheated when you were lifting. My poor 72 year old Mom has recently gotten into lifting and she is always disappointed that she doesn't get that many points when she's worked out for 45 minutes.  It would be nice if when you chose the weights exercise option, it would give a different type of score. 

Best Answer
0 Votes