Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Sense tracking too many steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My sense is tracking way too many steps. I wear it on my dominant wrist and I have it set to dominant in the app so that’s not the problem. It tracked 75 steps when it should have been 30 at most. 

Moderator edit: subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hello @Msteele2028. Welcome to the community forums! 

Thank you for the detailed information and for setting up your wrist setting to dominant on the Fitbit App. At this time, I recommend changing the wrist setting to non-dominant and please test the behavior of your Sense after this change.

• The dominant wrist setting decreases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any over counting of steps when your body is not moving. Your dominant hand is the one you use for writing and eating.
  • The non-dominant wrist setting increases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any under counting of steps.

Also, take into consideration that when working at a desk, cooking, or performing other activities with arm movements, a device on your wrist may add some steps. When you’re doing activities that involve arm movement such as working or cooking, you often walk a few steps in-between stationary periods as well, so the device tries to give you credit for those steps. 

If the discrepancy persists, please try to restart your Sense by following the steps here. In addition, if you feel that your step count and distance are inaccurate, confirm the following is correct in the Fitbit app:

Since we use height to estimate your walking and running stride lengths, you may want to measure and manually adjust these values if your legs are longer or shorter than average. For more information, see How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity?

Hope this helps. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried all the above and steps still too many.

Best Answer
0 Votes