Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app crashes when updating credit card

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a fitbit sense and a google pixel5a.

I set the fitbit up a month or two ago, and added some credit cards for FitBit pay.  Recently, I received a replacement credit card, so I need to update that on my FitBit Sense.

When I go to the wallet app on my phone, it briefly goes to the credit card manager screen, then back out to the Sense dashboard.  When I try that 2 or 3 times, the app closes.

I've contacted customer support and they couldn't solve the issue.  I reinstalled my Sense, cleared caches, confirmed I have current firmware and android versions.

Anything else I can do?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi @John98. Welcome to the Community Forums.

Thanks for the detailed information, and the steps tried prior to posting. I understand how you're feeling and I'm sorry for this inconvenience. Our team constantly works to improve our devices and services, and the input we receive from our members is a big part of the process. Your feedback is truly appreciated and rest assured it won't go unnoticed.

I was checking your details and it seems our Support team already sent you an email with more information. If you haven't done so, please check your inbox, spam and junk folders, and keep an open communication with them.

Best Answer

I understand that the support team is looking into this, but they did not have any solutions last night or this morning.  The email they sent is:

"We’re currently working to resolve it and hope to have a fix soon. Be sure to keep your Fitbit device and app up-to-date to ensure you receive the quickest resolution."

If anyone else has had this problem, I would be interested in hearing how it was solved.

Best Answer

Hi there, @John98.

Thanks for getting back and sharing more details about this situation. As you were told, it seems our team is currently investigating this situation to identify a fix as soon as possible. While I understand where you're coming from, my best advice is to keep an open communication with them in order to receive more updates about your case.

Thanks again for your feedback. Every comment shared in the forums helps us to evaluate our procedures and improve our services, and yours won't be the exception.

Best Answer

I am having the same problem. 

App 3.62

Fitbit Sense

Samsung S20FE 5G Android 12

Was working fine with two cards added up until about a week ago. 

The crash occurred when the wallet screen appeared, whether I used a fingerprint or code.

I tried clearing cache and data.  Got "Error Registering Sense with Fitbit Pay Wallet."  It would sometimes work but then crash when it got to the Add card screen.

Uninstalled app, deleted files.  Downloaded again.  Now I cannot get past the "Error Registering..." screen.  Now I have no access to the wallet.

Wouldn't it have been useful to have this capability on the web in my account?  (But that's a different issue.)

Best Answer

Welcome on board, @mbmn.

Thanks for the detailed information, and the steps tried prior to posting to get the Fitbit app working well. I'm sorry this isn't the case and for any inconvenience this has caused. Let me share a few days ago our team released a new update for the Fitbit app and in case you have already install it, may I know if the issue still persists? If that's correct, please get in touch with our Support team so they can investigate and see what can be done to help you with this matter. They're available via chat and phone, just click here to get connected with them.

About your other question, as you may know some features including the Wallet app were optimized to work on mobile devices. I understand your point of view about having it available on the website and my best advice is to share this idea in the Feature Suggestions board so our developers can take it into consideration for improvements. To learn more about this board, see our FAQs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same exact issue with my Fitbit Versa 3, so I doubt that it is a Sense issue. I'm using version 3.64 of the app. I noticed that I couldn't get into my Versa settings on the spot recently, so I deleted the app and started over and factor rest my Versa 3. I was able to get into the Versa settings without it crashing, but I can't reset up my wallet without the crashes happening. I was able to get one credit card on the wallet but not my other two. I think these issues are related to the app update. I don't remember having these kind of issues before a few weeks ago.

Best Answer

Same thing - although I haven't used FitBit Pay in a while so I don't know when this started.  First I couldn't even find the Wallet icon in the app.  I needed to update my location in my profile.  That still didn't work so I cleared the data in the app, force stopped, then started it again.  When I logged in, the app wanted always-on location data.  Okay, fine - granted that.  At least now I could see the wallet app again. But any time I go to wallet, it starts to load, I see two cards pop up briefly, then the app crashes.

Tried everything I could think of - deleted data and forced-stop again, even went so far as to unpair the fitbit, reset to clear user data on the device, then re-pair it. Still get the crash in the Android app.  Sucks that they're not fixing this.

Best Answer

Finally got it working I think - After unpairing the device via the app, then clearing the user data on the device, I re-added the device in the app.  I still couldn't get to the wallet section.  But, I went to the PIN setup, and received a notification that the device had recently been reset and I needed to set up a new pin.  It also notified me that cards would be removed from my Fitbit pay account.  After that, I was able to go into wallet and add one of my cards.  I'm going to leave it with one card for now as that's all I really use.  I'll test it out later to see if it actually works for payments.

Best Answer

I ran into the same issue when trying to add a new card on a Fitbit device I had started using just two weeks prior. I tried the workaround, i.e. clearing user data on watch and re-adding the device in Fitbit app. Afterwards I was able to add just one card and now wallet hard crashes every time I choose it in the Fitbit app and I can't change the pin or add any other cards. Were you able to find any further workarounds?

My sense 2 fw is 60.20001.184.52 and Fitbit app version 3.79 (37952011).

Best Answer
0 Votes
Nope.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a clunky and horrible workaround to get things working again. Clearing all data for the 'Google Play services' app (i.e. doing Step 2 from https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/9037938?hl=en) gets the fitbit app into a state where I can add a card or change pin. However after adding a single card it seems to usually get into a broken state again (luckily retaining all previously added cards), so you may have to clear the data multiple times if you have several cards to add/delete.

Note that every time you do this it also clears the saved cards from the regular (non-fitbit) google wallet app, so the proper procedure is to

1. Do all the necessary modifications for fitbit wallet, clearing play services data every time you run into crashing.

2. Once you're happy with how everything looks in the fitbit wallet (including pin and card order), finally re-add your cards to the non-fitbit google wallet. At this point you shouldn't need to clear play services data anymore since the normal wallet app works fine.

So yeah, this is indeed quite tedious, but luckily card changes are not that common.

Now I'm not sure what practical effect clearing play services data has besides clearing the payment card data (the above linked support article mentions "it may delete some information saved to your device, including transit cards, COVID cards, and virtual payment cards saved to Google Pay"), but so far I haven't noticed anything critical missing as you'd expect most data to be stored in the cloud anyway (for example all the non-payment cards I had in stored in my google wallet were still in place / re-downloaded from cloud). Proceed at your own peril.

Best Answer