Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate Variability unable to detect

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi. On the Sense, every time I do an EDA scan, on the ‘Heart Rate Variability’ section it always says “unable to detect”. Anyone know for the reason for this? I get readings for everything else. And stay extremely still when I do the scan. The watch is under three days old. 

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

Try restarting your watch first, to see if it clears the problem.

Shut down the watch

[Swipe left, Settings, at the bottom, Shutdown]

wait a minute

Start the watch

[Hold button till it vibrates or logo appears]

Wait for the clock to reappear.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope. No difference. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

As a matter of interest it says "unable to detect" what? Perhaps there is more to this message if you keep scrolling?

Does it show at least your starting - ending heart rate?

Best Answer
0 Votes

068936E3-B4E9-405A-92DA-8268CB846A2B.jpeg

Yes. It shows everything else. Like start and end heart rate. But just doesn’t show heart rate variability, says make sure you are touching the case. 

Best Answer

@Bauer24 Thanks.

You probably aren't still enough for it to register.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Trust me. I sat very still in all 20 of the times I done it. I managed to get a reading once! Not sure what the difference was from the other 19 times. 

Best Answer

@Bauer24  It might be your watch is super sensitive [there must be some variance between them] so you can have lots of fun practicing!

Or replace it is another possibility.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I get the exact same issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. I've tried different times of the day, laying down, sitting up, you name it. 

Best Answer

@Bauer24  @Soozeei  @ash8410  May be a silly question, are you a premium user?

You can easily check,. You are if you have a yellow ring around your profile photo in the app, or health metrics tile which gives you a graph of heart rate variability.

or

In the phone Fitbit App

Click on profile photo [top left]

Account Settings

Manage Subscriptions

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the exact same issue and would be keen to hear from anyone who's managed to get HRV readings during their EDA scan as I have never got one. I also stay very still throughout the 2 minute scan.

Best Answer

Yes I am a premium user.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Soozeei  Well it should give you a reading. Do you place the palm of your hand on the face of the watch so that the screen is presses in the palm and the rest of the hand touches the watch all round the sides?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, a premium user!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ash8410  Thanks, then try the method described in my previous post.

Am interested if there is a technique which does not work, or if its a watch fault.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bauer24 - Another tip in the Fitbit Help pages is to tighten your band (it should be tight but not constricting). You can read more about it by tapping here, then scrolling down to Why Didn’t The EDA Scan Work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same thing for me. It's not worked since day one. Always says unable to detect. No matter how still you are.

BW
Best Answer

premium user here, I am having the exact same issue, my sense is about a month old.  

Best Answer