Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How activity intensity is measured

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

New Sense user here. Can anyone tell me why does changing random auto-selections for activity to "Gardening" result in a reduction from intense to moderate activity? Is there an algorithm which isn't programmed for using crowbars, heavy digging etc? What topic should I choose to record my activity so it matches the live record instead of downgrading my effort?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

The Sense uses something called Pure Pulse Technology, meaning it uses your heart rate to guess which exercise you're doing.  As for customizing your exercise, there's a way that you can add a custom activity, however, I'm not sure where it is (I haven't used it in years).

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your answer - but what I want to know is why the exercise Fitbit has already recorded as "Intense" (from my heart rate) is changed to "Moderate" after I tell it what I was doing at that time...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Elwel  - manually changing an exercise probably overrides the default calculation as well as each exercise may have different algorithms.

Possibly selecting the correct exercise at the start will give you better results.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Guy - shame heavy gardening/yardwork is not popular enough to have an icon - I'll try "Outdoor workout" and see how that goes 🙂

Best Answer

Heavy for one person can be easy for another. It's impossible to get it correct. Since you mentioned outdoor workout; It is a difference working out upper body, and doing squats. Personally For logging purposes, distance and maps, I log my walks, hikes, running and treadmill, all others I rely on the accelerometer, and variations in HR. It will never be accurate. instead of asking how accurate Sense is, the better question is, is it accurate enough for your purposes? 

Fitbit user since September 2019
Sense2 Sense, Charge3, Android, Windows
Best Answer
0 Votes

LokeAa Thanks for that very thoughtful reply - I decided that I just have to stop feeling offended by a watch downgrading my effort 🙂 BTW I used "outdoor workout" for a vigorous weeding session today and it didn't downgrade my effort/intensity so I am now happy, and will use that option from now on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Guy - well I tried your suggestion and it worked - hooray - I will now use "Outdoor Exercise" as an approximation for gardening in future. Cheers el.

Best Answer