Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to resolve the Major issues causing short battery life.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Functions and features added with updates [perhaps automatically], or manually chosen options, are possibly causing short battery life on a Sense or Versa 3.

Verify each of the functions you currently have enabled and eliminate the ones you don't need.

Some of the main battery drainers, which vary depending on Firmware level and Fitbit App level, are:

• GPS
  • Snore Detection
  • SpO2 tracker app [can be uninstalled  see the Versa 3 or Sense Fitbit App Gallery tile]
  • SpO2 Clock faces
  • Readiness report
  • Clock faces with Internet connections [such as Weather]
  • Clock faces with animation and lots of activity
  • Possibly heart / Afib notifications

and possibly in the watch Settings,

• Status indicators
  • Always On Display
  • high brightness
  • long display timeout
  • absence of a Sleep schedule
  • some music functions
  • etc.

and Syncing / Bluetooth issues

• Watch constantly trying/failing to sync
  • Fitbit app constantly trying/failing to sync
  • Multiple devices syncing with the watch

The syncing issue is best confirmed by temporarily disabling the phone's Bluetooth and restarting the watch via Shutdown and restarting the phone, then monitoring the change.

If the phone shuts down Bluetooth or the Fitbit App [to save battery] so they are not running in background, this may be a cause of syncing issues.

Also review Can I extend my Fitbit device's battery life? 

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
34 REPLIES 34

I would also add that switching off device resolves the problem of battery completely. 

What's the point of having a "smartwatch" when so many functions aimed at the tracking health are recommended to be switched off?

Best Answer

How does a thread like this, get a best response, so people know that the question has been answered? 

Best Answer

Hi @Soyerski123 -  the point is to know and isolate which features are causing an issue and then to resolve it, in a way that suits your requirements.

Of course if you drive a fast car really fast it will use lots of petrol, and if you don't want to use lots of petrol you have to drive slower. You have to choose.

Best Answer

This post was referred to me...but my problem is with Fitbit app battery drain not device battery drain.

Best Answer

Thank you Guy_ for your response. I have had my Sense for about a week. I did not notice the battery drainage until two days ago. After readying your post, I noticed that one of the drainers was "high brightness". I had changed my brightness to "max" a few days ago. In 24 hours my battery had drained 31%. I have switched back to normal and I hope it solves the problem.  

Best Answer

For me, dim is even good enough in most cases. Do you do always on display and/or snore and noise detection? Both use a significant amount. I do like always on when I'm working but I turned off snore and noise detection because I was getting minimal to none after a weeks worth of tracking. 

Best Answer

@Blessingtoyou-  make sure you check them all - high brightness probably won't make that much difference.

Best Answer
I thought I would tackle it one issue at a time. I will be really disappointed if I have to disable some of the functions so I can achieve at least 4 days of battery life. As it is now, 2 1/2 days battery life is not acceptable.

I will post again with an update.
Best Answer

@eezeepee - Being an older women, my eyesight needs assistance and the low setting for brightness would not work for me. 😊 

I will go 24 hours with just changing the brightness level from high to normal. If that is insufficient, I may take your advise on the snore/noise detection. If that is the case, I will be disappointed that I  can't use a standard feature without causing major drainage.Thank you.

Best Answer

Thanks for the very informative post Guy. This will be very helpful for those looking to prolong battery life and still use the features most important to them. I’m always on the lookout to improve my Fitbit experience. 

Sense Activation 11/3/20\IPhone 12 Pro Max\SimpleClockPro Watch Face\Spigen Rugged Armor Pro Case/Band
Best Answer

Sleep and noise is a standard feature but it does warn of the increase usage when turning on. I've noticed sometimes around 20% for 7 hours or so of sleep. I think it's not necessary once you already know you either do or don't snore.

I get about 30% of usage over 24 hours with always-on display on, screen wake manual, brightness dim, and snore and noise detection off so about 3.5 days worth. If I turn off always-on display, screen wake automatic that's when I get the advertised 6 days or so. I really don't charge to 100% nor use until it's low. I top off while I shower and get ready. Like today I went from 40% to 70% in 23 minutes. 

Best Answer

Make this a sticky (pinned) post!

Sense Activation 11/3/20\IPhone 12 Pro Max\SimpleClockPro Watch Face\Spigen Rugged Armor Pro Case/Band
Best Answer

eezeeepee - I appreciate the additional information. I do have my screen on automatic. You bring up an excellent point on how quickly Sense charges. The first time I had to charge it, I was shocked at how fast the Sense charges!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would have switched it to auto brightness

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rich_Laue - It appears to me that the Sense only has three brightness levels: Dim, Normal and Max. I now have mine on Normal.

Best Answer

@Guy_  When I joined this thread I was losing 34% charge within a 24 hour time period. I first changed my brightness level from High to Norma. I waited 24 hours and it made a whooping 2% difference (total charge loss of 32%). Next, I disable the snore detection and observed my charge level after 24 hours. It improved by 13%. Now my  total charge loss for 24 hours is down to 19%! I am certain that my other big drainer is the weather. 

I agree with you and others in this forum ( @eezeepee) that we have to choose which functions we want/need to customize the main features that best suits our needs. 😀 Thank you all for your comments and assistance! 

Best Answer

Thank you Guy for this very informative post !

I have had my watch for only 3 weeks and my drainage is mostly at night .

My charge stays in the 90% during the day after I charge it ,then the next morning it has dropped to 55-50%

And the next morning it is very low 10-15% so basically only 36 hours of charge instead of the 6 days promised!

Very deceiving I miss the battery life of my Ionic that started freaking out before Christmas !

So I suspect the snore and SpO2 are maybe the problem ...I will try that 

But as others say it is deceiving that you have to turn off the features you bought the watch for..

If you have any other tips for me feel free

Thank you again

Best Answer

In my testing, snore and noise used up more than SpO2 overnight. With only SpO2 on and of course sleep mode on, I get around 6-8% overnight loss in 7 hours.

Best Answer

Thank you @eezeepee 

I will test it today ,I charged fully and turned off the snore and noise and kept SPO2 and see if it helps 🤞🏼

Best Answer