Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My husband and I are getting different step count with Fitbit Sense

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

When my husband and I go out for a walk, we walk the same course at the same speed but he will get as many as 500 more steps than me.  Why?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @janetmckee, welcome to the Community Forums! 

As @JohnnyRow has said, I would like to clarify that it's normal that you see a difference when you are comparing your data with another person, this is because Fitbit devices record your data based on your personal information (age, gender, weight and height).

If you feel that your step count and distance are inaccurate, confirm the following are correct in the Fitbit app:

Since we use height to estimate your walking and running stride lengths, you may want to measure and manually adjust these values if your legs are longer or shorter than average. For more information, see How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity?

Sometimes, when you start walking, your steps may not update on your device right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps, you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real time with each step you take. For more information, see: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

Let us know if you have any questions present.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

He probably has a longer stride length.  2 people can go the same distance at the same speed, one taking longer, but fewer, steps.  Not knowing how far or long you walked, there's no way to tell if a 500 step difference makes sense for you.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @janetmckee, welcome to the Community Forums! 

As @JohnnyRow has said, I would like to clarify that it's normal that you see a difference when you are comparing your data with another person, this is because Fitbit devices record your data based on your personal information (age, gender, weight and height).

If you feel that your step count and distance are inaccurate, confirm the following are correct in the Fitbit app:

Since we use height to estimate your walking and running stride lengths, you may want to measure and manually adjust these values if your legs are longer or shorter than average. For more information, see How does my Fitbit device calculate my daily activity?

Sometimes, when you start walking, your steps may not update on your device right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps, you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real time with each step you take. For more information, see: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

Let us know if you have any questions present.

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes

But that doesn't make sense. If he has a longer stride, he would have FEWER steps to cover the same distance. Not more. 

Best Answer

Hlawson828, I agree.  They tend to conflate Step count and distance calculations.  Yes, they use estimated stride length to calculate the distance walked/ran.  But that should have nothing to do with step count.  The only thing that I can see which affects this is which wrist it's on. Dominant vs non-dominant, since random hand movement can count as steps. My wife and I have the same problem, her step count (NOT DISTANCE) is always significantly less than mine.  We both have our proper height and wrist placement programmed into the apps. So either one of two things is happening, either her device is not sensitive enough to register all her steps or mine is registering too many.  While they give the advice to correct the distance calculations, they have yet to address the step count disparity.  I understand data between devices will vary...but in my mind that one data point that should be very close is the step count.  A step is a step regardless of height, stride, weight, hair color of anything else.

Best Answer

@Hlawson828 wrote:

But that doesn't make sense. If he has a longer stride, he would have FEWER steps to cover the same distance. Not more. 

If you are referring to my response, you are correct.  I was wrong, this time 2 + years ago, but still get mixed up plenty of times today.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My wife and I had the same issue a while back. We swapped devices and the issue stayed with my wife, but it was much closer. She had hers set for her dominant wrist. The difference now is smaller, but still happens. Her arm swing is much smaller, so it must be missing some. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

They need to add a sensitivity adjustment for the step count.  My wife has her Fitbit on her non-dominant hand, maybe she should try wearing it on her dominant.  Wil have to see how that goes.  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

The way to truly test step counter is to go someplace, probably outside, where you can walk uninterrupted for a good distance, at least 100 steps, preferably more, and count your steps as you walk.  Begin from a complete stop for a few seconds to make sure count catches up, check step count on watch, then walk normally, not holding anything, counting steps, preferably for a few hundred steps.  Then stop for a few seconds to make sure watch step count catches up completely; then see how count on watch compares to what you counted.  Maybe takes 2 of you; one 2 remember count at beginning or write it down, then add count to that number at end.

I expect it will be within the margin of a few arm swings at the start or stop.  If so, you will know that it is counting correctly.  Then you would have to just look for any differences in how the 2 of you are walking together.  Is one of you gesturing as you walk?  or holding arms steady? or anything like that?

Dominant wrist setting should not affect step count when you are gong for a walk; what it should do is filter out some pseudo-steps from dominant arm movements that might get mistaken for steps, maybe brushing teeth or such, but I would not think would affect longer continuous activity such as a walk.

Best Answer
0 Votes