Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense touch screen malfunctioning + suddenly dead (after 2 years)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi Fitbit,

I have a sense for 2 years now and always taken very well care of it.

Last week the touch screen started to flash (not able to control it, random strokes or taps opening apps etc) and sometimes it froze completely. After multiple resets (side button), the issue didn't go away. Luckily (with the right amount of patience) I was sometimes able to start an exercise (wherefor I use my sense the most).

After a couple of days, my sense wasn't starting up anymore and it's still dead. Charging it will not help.

No real cause lead up to this issue that i can think of. First it seemed an issue with water getting inside (what i read on the internet). But this is absolutly not possible since I only used this for running and hiking. I can't imagine sweat can enter the device?

Does anybody have experienced the same fatal issue?

Fitbit, Can i send the watch to you for investigation? I know warranty is only 2 years, but a 300€ device should last a bit longer than this.

Thank you for your reply,

Rik

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @RikSlabbinck - the symptoms you describe seem like water inside and that can be from sweat accumulation.

Once the warranty is ended unfortunately there is not a lot you can do other than if it is not charging see How to check charge cable - Sense/Versa 3 won't charge, won't start or blank screen  If it gets hot while charging stop immediately.

In case it is just a software issue try a factory reset.

If this does not help and you liked this watch, a new one is a lot cheaper than the original and it isn't worth spending more on a later model which doesn't have some of the features found on this watch, even though it is more expensive.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Guy_,

Thank you for your reply.

For me it is a bit difficult to understand that a sport-watch isn't capable to withstand sweat.. Sport and healty activity is what the watch was made for and also my intention to purchase it. No accumulation of sweat could have been occured since I clean the watch regulary with normal water. Not only for the health of the device, I also like to have the wristband clean.

In my previous message I was just stating the "most plausable causes", since nothing outstanding happened when these issues occured. I didn't state that the watch was indeed drenched in sweat. I didn't do anything with the watch that could be considered Extreme Sport. No scratches, no other issues, nothing.

I am a (fit)bit dissapointed to read your conclusion as I really took care of it very well. I still can't believe these watches should only last for 2 years with the best of care. The fact that everything was working fine until sudden dead makes it difficult to believe any external harm was done to the device.

Is there still no option to have a look at this issue?

I am looking forward to your reply,

Rik

Best Answer
0 Votes

@RikSlabbinck- sweat isn't the only thing that has been known to damage a watch inside, washing with water can eventually do it. A number of unforeseen factors have an impact how resistant to water a watch remains.

If you look in the forums a number of users who looked after their watches have suffered a similar problem.

It should be noted that the seals on some watches are not as robust as others and they do deteriorate over time. I already binned 2 watches, one from water damage and the other from a failed factory reset.

As it wouldn't be repairable, even if it were an option, a new watch is still a better deal as it comes with a new warranty and you have the freedom to select a watch which meets your needs fully when spending your money.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer
0 Votes