Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low HR during sleep?

Hi(:

im 22 F, 5'4 and 164lbs. I started at 196 a year ago so about 30 pounds. I work out a little bit not anything crazy, yet:)

Anyways just a health question. I have a low heart rate normally ... 50's and drops into the upper 40's when lying down for bed but at night my Hr drops to 42:/ 

i do sometimes get dizzy and SOB. I've had EKGs, blood work and X-ray nothing came back abnormal... but I know and have read that a low heart rate is okay if you're an athlete. I'm not. 

I have an apt with a cardiologist next week.... 

does anyone know If this is normal even if you're not an athlete?? I'm freaking out a bit:/

IMG_1818.PNG

IMG_1820.PNG

IMG_1821.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes
13 REPLIES 13

And I believe that my low HR at night is causing my RHR to be lower. It's 48 as you can see.... but I thoughts RHR is different than your sleeping HR... so is my RHR actually that low or is my fitbit not calculating it correctly because of my sleeping Hr???

Best Answer
0 Votes

Aw, don't freak out @SarahLucy145, things will be alright. I'm glad you have an appointment with a doctor, who's advice will be far better than anything I could say.

As to your question about resting heart rate, it's difficult to say. Could you post a screenshot of a 24 hour period, so we can see the high and low periods?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

IMG_1833.PNG

This is today so far as it's 8pm. I went to my cardiologist and ekg. DIdnt find anything but she's ordering a holter monitor, stress test and echo, to make sure but she mentioned that she didn't see anything abnormal but based on my symptoms she's wanting to make sure. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine does that too! My resting heart rate is usually about 54. When I sleep , it goes as low as 41! I’ve had a 24 hour holter monitor and I was told everything was normal. I have been working out for about 2 years now so I guess my heart is just in good shape? What did your cardiologist say??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey(:

i went and had every test preformed. They couldn’t find anything alarming. She said she didn’t see any sign of heart disease or arrhythmia. She said some people just have a low HR...(:

Best Answer

oh great! that makes me feel sooooo much better that i am not the only one! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

A lower heart rate in sleep is normal, and I'm sure I read somewhere that the FitBit RHR is calculated using an average of both sleep and inactive daytime HR... actually yes, I found it -

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/How-does-Fitbit-calculate-Resting-Heart-Rate/m-p/1747633/h...

Allie
Best Answer

Hey me too!  I noticed this in 2016 when I got my new fit bit hr and was so scared.  I was just sitting there and was in the 40's!  I got so scared I couldn't eat and was a new mom so that was bad timing.  I don't work out...we do have heart disease in the family, but I am 33 and got all the tests and holter monitors so everything checked out ok!  I was told I am healthy and some hrs run low.  I noticed I can raise it to a comfortable rate when I have a glass of wine, or anything with alcohol.  I have been having one glass of red wine each night and it at least stays mid 40s to 50s now.  It also takes the anxiety off of wondering if I'll never wake up lol sounds stupid but it's real.  I found out I have a chiari malformation and read that can make your hr low as well.  So glad now that new people are using the fitbit hr like you now I see newer posts that are similar!  Makes me feel better!  I researched this forever lol.  Hope all is well!!

Best Answer

Hi everyone, I got the Fitbit Charge 4 last month & recently looked at my sleeping HR. Mine is low when resting & really low when I’m asleep. This thread has reassured me a little that all is okay though. :). I do have a congenital heart condition, & I’m due to have an appt with my cardiologist in September (whether it’ll be face-to-face or over the phone, I’m not sure at the moment) so I’m going to ask then anyway just to make sure. Thanks for this thread & I hope everyone is healthy heart- & otherwise. 🙂 

Best Answer

I also have a low HR during sleep, low 40’s.

During the day its usually around 58bpm.

I am also wondering if this all started from too much cardio running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@H8891   I'm not sure you can do "too much" cardio running, unless it causes an injury.  Increasing your fitness level tends to decrease your resting heart rate, which tends to go lower in your sleep.  Although my long distance running days are in the past, I still have a resting heart rate in the mid 40's.  My lowest sleeping heart rate is 37.  I have a Charge 5 and can't use the ECG feature -- you are supposed to be at rest, but your heart rate must be over 50 bpm.  But I agree with you, the changes you see are probably due to your increased running.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20220305-103028.png

The lowest I've hit this week appears to be 46 BPM. Not too bad. I used to do a good amount of cycling and also worked out 5-6 days a week. Cycling I haven't done in nearly a year and workouts are only 1-3 if I'm luckily but my heart seems to still be pretty efficient when asleep

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are dizzy, there is some problem.  I generally run a RHR between 40 and 43, but at night I am in the 30s.  I know that my heart has slowed a little since I got older (I'm 67), but I have no dizziness.  Your cardiologist can determine if your heart is perfusing your brain adequately. Your heart will keep up with your demand for the most part, so don't worry about it too much!  I run a little (maybe 6 miles/day) but I'm basically not an athlete, stay healthy and you'll be OK.  Good luck!

Best Answer