Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit suddenly only displaying basic sleep data

Hi There

I have been wearing my fitbit for months with no problems but suddenly this morning it only collected basic sleep data (sleep, restless/awake times) and no sleep stages or sleep score. I have noticed from reading other posts that this has happened to others. Why would this have occurred and how can it be resolved? It seems to have collected my heart rate data over night so not sure why it did not log sleep stages. Thanks.

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

I'm having the same issue as of this morning. Heart rate clearly tracked all night, and yet I only see basic sleep data - the usual link for "Why am I only seeing basic sleep data?" is not there, oddly, and I also didn't get a sleep score.

Best Answer

Me too, and based on how I was hung up on by customer service, I would say this took all the reps at fitbit by surprise too! Since I received no resolution on my request, I can only infer that this is a new "feature" that you only get with "premium" fitbit will take your 10 dollars/month now. 

Best Answer

The last 2 nights I have got the same. No sleep score and does not tell me the sleep stages such as REM/Deep sleep etc... This is very frustrating

Best Answer

What does your app say about seeing simple sleep. 

Was the period over 3 hours? Was their a consistant heart rate? 

Is heart rate turned on? 

Best Answer

Once again fitbit is messing with their CUSTOMERS by requiring additional money to continue to receive sleep data...even though we all purchased the device (Charge HR) in my case because it offered sleep data analysis as part of the program. This is the 3rd time fitbit has played this game with me. Time for me to find a different device. No wonder fitbit is looking for a buyer for the company.

Best Answer

If your seeing basic sleep data @murphbhbl it is not because Fitbit has taken it away. We have an issue probably with the tracker. What does the app say about not seeing sleep data? 

Best Answer

Any insight on this?  I am seeing the same thing.  Only getting basic sleep data on most nights.

Heart is being tracked all night and there is nothing saying why I'm not seeing sleep data

Best Answer
Hi.

I believe fitbit has been trying to remove the advanced sleep diagnostic service from the charge HR/charge 3 devices. They want consumers to pay a premium price for that service.

I understand that they want to charge a premium…but when I bought my device the advanced sleep diagnostics were part of the deal. You don’t get to change the service post consumer purchase in my opinion. I think the “update” was programmed to kill the advance sleep diagnostic program. That’s what happened to me. My third charge HR device has now failed.

I am switching to Garmin.

Best of luck with your device…

Murph
Best Answer

If your seeing basic sleep data, first step to do is check the fitbit app. 

Tsp on the offending sleep record and read the note below the graph.

Screenshot_20191020-120456_Fitbit.jpg

 in the next screen, after some research i discovered the Versa 2 update turned the heart rate off. 

Screenshot_20191020-120514_Fitbit.jpg

Best Answer

That was the issue.  I never had any notes below the graph, just basic sleep data or a sleep score on random days.

I can confirm that the feature was removed as I now have a dialog box on the main sleep page stating that I need to join Fitbit Premium to see details about my sleep.

This is very disappointing as I feel I was mislead into purchasing my device which I have only had for a couple of months. 

It's probably too late to return the device but it will definitely be my last purchase from Fitbit and right now 3 of my 4 family members have Fitbit's with the fourth having a Garmin.  That won't be the case going forward.

Best Answer

So many conspiracy theorists!  Now anytime one doesn't get sleep stages, you're going to blame it on Premium?  There have been plenty of times long before Premium when users didn't always get sleep stages.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Not sure what value your comments provide but to clarify there is now a message in the sleep section of the app stating you need to subscribe to premium to see the sleep data.fitbit-sleep1.jpg

This is not the same as occasionally not getting sleep data because of missed heart rate reading or sleep cycle too short. 

I had a functionality that was advertised with the product I purchased and now that functionality is gone.

So no conspiracy theories here.

Best Answer

try resetting your fitbit by pushing in the left button and the right bottom button  at the same time until you see the fitbit logo on the screen, it takes 5 or so seconds for this to happen. I've had the simple sleep display issue and this usually solves it.

Best Answer

Thanks Michelle.  Unfortunately my fitbit appears to be dead. And its only 5 months old I believe...tt was a replacement unit for my previously fried unit. And I haven't downloaded ios 13 yet.

My unit was working perfectly until fitbit started removal of sleep diagnostics via their "update" process. It's been a nightmare since then. I have gotten used to taking my daily hike without a device again.

Best Answer

Thank You for your post Mountain High. The contention that fitbit screwed up many devices with their effort to pull back sleep diagnostics is true.

Best Answer

Are you enjoying your Garmin? I switched to Ticwatch because I grew tired of Fitbit trackers only lasting just beyond the 2 year warranty LOL

Best Answer

I have the same issue but it's not even asking for a subscription. I used the "log sleep" feature in the app. It used to give me details but now it doesn't. How do you know whether heart rate data are being collected?

Screenshot_2019-10-25-07-04-36.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nevermind, I found the heart rate info, and yes it's there. I got the watch just a few weeks ago as a birthday present and especially wanted the sleep tracker. Thanks in advance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just discovered my phone is low on memory. That could be why. Of course it's prolly low because of the Fitbit app. 

Best Answer
0 Votes