Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I interpret the blood oxygen variation graph?

ANSWERED

Good morning,

I use a Charge 3 and recently noticed the addition of a blood oxygen variation graph in my sleep data. I've been googling a bit but am unsure how to interpret it. Can someone help?

Unfortunately, I'm unable to include a picture, but I'll try to explain as best I can.

The x-axis is clearly for time, but what about the y-axis? There's a line about halfway up where labels say "large" above it and "small" below it (my translation; I use the app in Swedish). The graph legend also states that a green line indicates small variations, while yellow marks bigger variations, so that's also pretty self-explanatory. My graph is almost entirely green every night, but it's fairly low on the chart. Does this mean my Charge 3 estimates I have a fairly low level of blood oxygen, but with small variations? The few times the graph has been yellow, it's been to form a peak rather than a trough.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

2642DED5-B503-42B2-8227-F37786E9F910.png

What about mine? Am I getting enough oxygen?

Best Answer
0 Votes

So low is good? Mine went up slightly 

87EBB879-8413-46EE-8978-954CCFB8A988.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

IMG_0417.jpg

During the sleep, if you usually breath with your nose while your mouth is closed and any or both of your nostrils are congested you will get the high variation like the one above I got last night. However, if both of your nostrils are congested and your mouth opens to continue breathing, your variation in the Orange zone will be reduced or disappears all together.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Take a look at your heart rate during the night.  I was seeing a lot of variation, but when I noted the high point I was also seeing that my heart rate was dropping to a very low level.  I was waking up at that point.  It appeared to be medication induced.  I have discontinued that medication.  My resting heart rate went up, but oxygen has stabilized dramatically.  Also while doing cardio exercise I am no longer seeing an erratic heart rate, and heart rate has reduced during exercise.

Best Answer

I've got a Charge 3. Is there any way to see my actual oxygen levels, not the variation in them?  (It obviously knows the SpO2 values, because it's calculating how much they vary.)  I use a CPAP so the variation's always low.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I have noticed another correlation with the nights I get a small spike or two into the orange.  I suffer from sinus problems. When I have a sinus headache or my sinuses become badly clogged at night, I’ll get the spikes.  Again, most nights I get no spikes, But, a few times a month I’ll get a spike or two during the night.  These spike-nights will sometimes come in clusters — like two right in a row followed by a few weeks of no spikes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lately I am having flat curves like the ones below. Any one knows the meaning of it?

Flatliner...!Flatliner...!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have noticed on mine a single flat line for last few nights. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Natalia86

I rarely see any spikes into the orange zone. But we should always keep in mind that Fitbit or even any technology is not an exact science and any mismatch, anywhere in the system will create an anomaly. 

I offer three suggestions as possibilities for flatlineing.

1. Wristband to tight.

2. Wristband too loose.

3. Try wearing your Fitbit higher on the wrist.

Best wishes and keep safe 

Best Answer

Hello everyone,  😊 @2optimistic, thank you for your input! I agree with you and thanks for sharing the tips you practice! 

Currently, the estimated oxygen variation graph shows an estimate of the variations in your blood oxygen saturation levels throughout the night: These are 2 variations: 

Small variations: 

Show that your estimated blood oxygen saturation levels remained consistent.

Big variationsShow that your estimated blood oxygen saturation level fluctuated. A high variation on the graph may indicate you had variations or disturbances in your breathing during sleep. For more information, I recommend checking the following link: 
How do I track my estimated oxygen variation in the Fitbit app? 

See you around. 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer

I have also noticed a single flat line on mine, its happened twice now

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WilsonFitbit  Tell me something I don't know... Please stick to the point...What is meaning of Flat Lining...?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chris_uk35@netmann, can you please confirm when did you see the Flat line on the graph? Has this happened before? 

Also, make sure that the Fitbit app for your mobile devices are up to date. In addition, please force quit restart the Fitbit App, log out and back into the App. 

There are circumstances as stated in the link above, in which including your arm position and certain physical characteristics, can affect your estimated oxygen variation readings, making them appear to be more variable. It would be great if you can keep an eye on the behavior to see if it happens again, this way it can be further investigated. 

I look forward to your response. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi yes it happened 2 weeks ago for one night then has been fine up until last night when it did it again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WilsonFitbit  Wilson, the wrist band tightness, looseness and position reasons indicated above are Not convincing reasons. I like to know the real reason as this does not happen every night, and my band position and tightness does not change.

I started to notice the flat lining which is combination of flat lines and spikes on 1/26, 1/27, 1/28, 1/30, 2/1, 2/2, 2/3, 2/5, 2/6, 2/7, 2,9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/14, 2/15, 2/16, 2/17, 2/19, 2/20, 2/21, 2/22, 2/23, 2/25, 2/26 and 2/27. The missing dates graphs between these dates are all spikes...

Again: How and Why does Flat Lining recorded in Fitbit App...?

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 😊

Thank you very much for the time you've taken to report this and for the information! I'd like to let you know that I've shared the details with my team for investigation and they have informed me that a flat trend line indicates a pretty constant blood oxygen saturation. Also, it could indicate little to no function through the night. Meaning no changes or fluctuations through the night. 

See you around. 

Best Answer

Thanks for asking the question again for us. However again last night I got this below.. Does it not seem odd to you that I had NO variation at all through the night? That does not seem right to me. 

Screenshot_20210305-064158.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Chris_uk35 I think there is something wrong with Fitbit app or the sensor in the Fitbit watch that causes flat lining...!

(1) The watch sensor recording resolution of sleep oxygen variation is not capable of, or hasn’t been set high enough to show minute spikes, so it defaults to flat lines. 
(2) The app cannot extrapolate or amplify the minute variations to show them as actual spikes so it defaults to flat lines. 
(3) Combination of (1) and (2) above. 

Best Answer

@Chris_uk35@netmann, thanks for your posts and for the information that you've shared! 

I talked to my team a few minutes ago regarding your last two posts and they informed me that the straight line means your devices didn't collect the sufficient data needed to provide the graph you are expecting. As you've mentioned, it doesn't happen every day. So, it is like when you get simplified sleep instead of sleep stages. Thanks for your patience! 

See you around. 

Best Answer

So do I have a faulty watch? 

OK so is it a fault of my versa 3?

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

Best Answer