Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I like the new sleep restoration feature!

One new component of sleep score I’m just starting to discover is sleep restoration (which accounts for 25% of the total score). I didn’t realize how much my HR can fluctuate from one night to another, in relation to resting HR. Here are two examples from last week.

Here is the Friday night (time asleep 7h35m, score 77):

sleep restoration 52-48.png

I spent more than half of the time above resting HR.

Here is Sunday night (time asleep 7h6m, score 83):

sleep restoration 96-4.png

I spent almost the entire night below my resting HR, hence the much higher restoration score (23/25 vs. 17/25). Overall, I ended with a significantly higher score (83 vs. 77), in spite of slightly less time asleep.

Although HR at night can be found within the 24-hour HR graph, there’s not nearly the same level of granulation. Here is what the HR graph looks like for the "poorer" night:

24-HR.png

No way to see HR during the early hours of the day was elevated. And for people who go to bed early, their sleep is spread over two different days, which makes it harder to see their HR during the night.

All in all, I find sleep restoration a great addition to the existing metrics provided by Fitbit.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

@Dominique I agree, I also like the sleep (restoration) HR graph.

Its seems for me though that "normal" is a HR that is 50-80% over resting and on the odd (rare) occasion it may be around 60-75% below.

I'm currently trying to work out how (if anything) I can do to change this so that my HR is below resting for the most part, so far I'm trying to cut out caffeine after midday. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

What are you doing to regulate your heart rate while you are asleep?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, obviously regulating your resting HR (whether during daytime or at night) isn’t something that can be done consciously, but I’m trying to see if there are patterns that can be identified. Just like I now know my daytime RHR tends to elevate with stress. One thing that seem to have an effect is the number of trips to the bathroom I’m taking, so I try to cut intake of liquid early enough in the afternoon.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Fitbit really needs to display this graph on the same page as the Sleep Stages graph (just below it, for example) so that we can see, at-a-glance how or heart rate correlates to the various sleep stages. Other apps like SleepAsAndroid and Beautyrest's SleepTracker do this and I find it to be very interesting and useful.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner Actually that isn't a bad idea, it would make sense when trying to compare things etc. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@N8teGee I think so, too! It's one of the details that I put in this Feature Suggestion thread:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Improve-the-Presentation-of-Sleep-Data/idi-p/374...

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you like the new restoration feature then you must be paying for the Premium Plan. 🙂

Best Answer

Hi, 

where do you find the restoration score? I bought fitbit premium (now in 90 day evaluation period) but I  don not seem to find this data. I do have access to the fitbit coach trainings. But I cannot find the sleep heart rate etc. In the metrics I can see, nothing seems to have changed since my fitbit premium account. 

Thanks,

Monique

Best Answer
0 Votes

What worked for me is : very light dinner low in protein and as early as possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes