Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Sleep Log? Change your settings!

Hi sleepy Community members!

Does your sleep log look something like this?

sleep log restless.png

If you think your log is inaccurate when it shows this much restlessness, you're not alone! A lot of Fitbit users have sleep logs like this, and many times it's due to the fact that Sleep settings are on "Sensitive" mode instead of "Normal" mode. A little about these two modes:

• The normal setting counts significant movements as being awake (such as rolling over) and is appropriate for most users.
  • The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

We strongly suggest that most users use the Normal setting. To change your settings to Normal, follow these steps, or visit our help article!

• To change your setting in the Fitbit iOS app, go to Account Advanced Settings > Sleep Sensitivity.
  • To change your setting in the fitbit.com dashboard, go to Settings > Devices > scroll down to Sleep Tracking.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any trouble changing this setting or if you have seen a difference in the accuracy of your sleep log after switching!

Best Answer
522 REPLIES 522
I have changed the settings. It still is not working. Thank you for the input.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

And? 

Best Answer
I changed the settings it did not help. Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Here's the thing that makes my suspicious of Sleep clinics. I know of no one who was tested in a clinic who didn't get told they needed an expensive sleep machine. Many ignored this advice and those who didn't now sleep alone because the noise is too hard on the partner sleeper. I took one look at what they wanted to put on me for the test and I walked out. I would never be able to sleep in those conditions. 

Here is the second thing. All of the commentators are going in circles and repeating responses that were given 50 commentators previously. Only one in five seems to suggest that their fitbit is working at all or that they solved any problem. No one from Fitbit seems to engage in anything pragmatic except references to the dashboard which is highly limited.   Why don't we all simply admit we bought junk with fraudulent advertising and move on?

Best Answer

I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one with inaccurate sleep logs. It's a shame no one from Fitbit is addressing this problem because it seemed to be accurate when I first started using it. Of course the devise doesn't really last long so maybe this is the beginning of the end. This is my 2nd Fitbit. I might try something else next time.

Best Answer

I've used both sleep modes and neither recorded more than 4 hours sleep. Why can't I get it to record the whole night? It says I fall to sleep at 2:30 a.m. and awaken at 4:30. Not worth wearing to bed if it's that off.

Best Answer
I agree - have you called Fitbit?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I almost always have to edit my times to close to when I think I fell asleep and woke up. it then adds the sleep time and still shows the stages. It will recalculate. 

Best Answer
how do you edit you sleep length?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Really?? I didn’t know you could do that. How do you do it?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Hi I will try this. Thanks for the tip
Best Answer
In sleep then today screen. In upper right hand corner touch little dots and edit will come up.

Sent from my iPhone - Beth
Best Answer

I found my adjustment was already set to normal. My fitbit Versa still does not show sleep until about 03:00. I went off to sleep about 22:00- 23:30. Is there a possibility that it gets confused by my Pacemaker? 

Best Answer

I checked my settings: Normal as suggested. Still not accurate at all though. As an example, this morning I woke shortly before 6 am but the fitbit says 4:42. So what now?

Best Answer

Hi @jahimbo Here's a trick to try. If you delete your sleep data, then add it back in manually (start and stop time) the rest of the data will fill in and correct the issue. Hope that helps!

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
I gave up trying to track my sleep
Best Answer
Edit your sleep log. You can change the time

Sent from my iPhone - Beth
Best Answer
That’s what I did as well. FitBits program just doesn’t work for sleep. They should not say it does.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Thank you.

I have done that for several occasions now. It's rather frustrating how
much hands-on is required.

James
Best Answer

The Fitbit sleep recording is absolutely useless, as far as I can tell.

I've tried all the tips suggested here and elsewhere online and it still shows me in various stages of sleep at times that i absolutely know that I was awake for long stretches, checking the clock. The idea that, if you lay still it records you as sleeping, is a nonsense. Obviously I'm going to be laying still while I'm trying (and failing) to get back to sleep! If it can't tell the difference between laying still and deep sleep, then all the fancy graphs are just fluff and I was suckered into buying a £200 plus Versa on nothing but dubious marketing and overstated claims. Not happy at all.

Best Answer