Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Sleep Log? Change your settings!

Hi sleepy Community members!

Does your sleep log look something like this?

sleep log restless.png

If you think your log is inaccurate when it shows this much restlessness, you're not alone! A lot of Fitbit users have sleep logs like this, and many times it's due to the fact that Sleep settings are on "Sensitive" mode instead of "Normal" mode. A little about these two modes:

• The normal setting counts significant movements as being awake (such as rolling over) and is appropriate for most users.
  • The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

We strongly suggest that most users use the Normal setting. To change your settings to Normal, follow these steps, or visit our help article!

• To change your setting in the Fitbit iOS app, go to Account Advanced Settings > Sleep Sensitivity.
  • To change your setting in the fitbit.com dashboard, go to Settings > Devices > scroll down to Sleep Tracking.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any trouble changing this setting or if you have seen a difference in the accuracy of your sleep log after switching!

Best Answer
525 REPLIES 525

I tried this it worked. The moderators need to know this and post it

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi CallieM.  No my sleep doesn't look anything like yours.  I have a Versa 2 and I use an iPhone.  I found Account, but I don't have Advanced Settings.  My app is up yo date

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there anyway to change the settings for sleep for Am to Am?  My Fitbit gives me inaccurate sleep results because is goes from PM to AM (from one calendar day to the next).  I try to change it, but it says that the times are invalid.  I go to bed at 2 AM each morning and awake between 8 AM and 10 AM each morning (the same calendar day).  I don't sleep in the PM hours at all.  The Fitbit doesn't allow me to log the correct results.  It insists that I go to bed at 11:00 PM the night before and wake at 7:00 AM the next morning.

Best Answer

I forgot to mention that it is a Fitbit Inspire HR

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sadly this has nothing for me. 3 months of 3-4 hour sleeps, when I'm actually getting 6-8. Consistently thinks I fall asleep 3-4 hours after I actually do. I guess I just wasn't meant to have sleep tracking work.

Best Answer
I agree. I checked my heart log and yes was still alive for the 2 hours that didn’t show awake or asleep. I’m finding it’s not tracking my steps correctly either.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thats easy......................I have upgraded to Inspire HR at 80 years old and IT DON"T EVER FUNCTION adequately,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I MANUALLY HAVE TO PUT SLEEP  IN ALWAYS..............................
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oooooh... Thanks.  I just changed from Normal to Sensitive Mode.  I wear my fitbit on my ankle a huge amount of the time, esp. in bed.  

My sleep time is deffo over-estimated, but often my sleep is segmented and whole segments get missed out, esp. if under 1 hour.  Or else I get hours tacked on to start of my sleep period just because I was sitting reading in bed.

I'm getting an Actigraph for 10 nights soon, so will be interesting to compare Fitbit with Actigraph data and my actual sleep diary (to the extent I can remember).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Helpful for you. I got on CPAP in the 90's for the same factors (plus I was going to sleep everytime I drove) Its well worth the aggrivation of obtaining made use of to using it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My sleep log looks this way in both normal and also sensitive settings. In some cases it indicates that I do not reach rest up until 2:00 or 3:00 in the early morning, which is grossly incorrect. I consistently go to bed as well as reach sleep around 10:30 pm. However, I do have a problem with sleep-walking.

Best Answer
I agree. It’s a lousy piece of technology. I have a 2 hour walk every morning. The same straight route and it calculates so many different steps and distances.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I work in ems and was on a 24 hour shift last night. Awake, and working for a full 24 hours and i thinks I got a full night of sleep last night, despite being very active. 

Thoughts? 

Thanks.

Best Answer
Don't even bother. It's an expensive pedometer
Best Answer
0 Votes

My sleep log keeps having gaps in the time. Today, I have a sleep line going from 11:01 to 1:04. My last restlessness is at 12:35 and the sleep line ends (no analysis - too short). The record just ends. Just as mysteriously, it starts up with a flat light sleep line at 2:04. I was not awake for an hour much less up out of bed for an hour. It happened last night too. These are not tracked "awake" times. They are just gaps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a Versa 3 hoping it might work better than the Charge 4 I had to give away because it was driving me crazy. It was telling me I got less than 3 hours sleep on average, when I distinctly experience waking up a couple of times before it started recording anything.
There seems to be no setting that can be changed either way on these, and they consistently ignore any sleep I got before 2 or 3 am.
I got it from Costco, making sure that I can get my money back.

Does anyone know if there is a sleep tracker designed for people that sleep lightly?

Is there any way the Fitbit people are going to listen to their customers, and provide some ability to adjust the sleep tracking to an individual's needs?

Best Answer

I reread a post that mentioned you could edit your awake time. And lo and behold, when I changed my Sleep start time to 10:00 PM (on the previous night) the time it said I slept went from 2 hours 50 minutes to 7 hours and 27 minutes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

MarkDenni, that is true, and it does work. However, that's like adding a workout to your schedule so that you get your 10,000 steps for the day. I want the watch to agree with reality that I went to sleep at 10:30 and not at 12:45. I know I was asleep at10:30, my wife knows I was asleep at 10:30, why doesn't my Sense know it?

Best Answer
Because they are absolute rubbish
Best Answer

It didn’t help

Best Answer
0 Votes

For a month it records my sleep start/end times on Normal sensitivity.  Then stops recording an accurate start time.  So I change it to Sensitive, then it works for awhile.  Without changing the sleep sensitivity, I reset it and it's back to working for awhile until I need to reset it again.  I think resetting seems to be the key to it working for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes