Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to earn a 100 sleep score?

According to this article by Fitbit, most users earn a sleep score between 72-83.  Since the score is out of 100, and the display on iOS shows up as a circle that I have failed to close, I am wondering if anyone has ever actually earned a sleep score of 100.   Is it actually possible to achieve this goal?  If so, how?  Were strong sleeping pills involved?  

(Edit to add: No, I do not take sleeping pills, I do not drink, and I do not want to take any substances.  I made this comment because I believe the scoring system sets an impossible standard.  And no, I am not buying premium just to see the math).

Honestly, even on a night when I slept for over 10 hours with plenty of deep sleep, my “score” was still only an 84.  It seems impossible to earn above the low 80s.

It feels like I am taking one of those impossible “weed-out” classes in college where nobody earns above a B- and the prof doesn’t give As on principle.  Is that the model here?  

If it’s not really possible to get a sleep score of 100, why is the sleep score configured to look like an achievable “goal” from which we have somehow fallen short?  If we are doing everything in our power to get good sleep, and we still cannot earn 100 or even 90, what’s the point of it?  Fitbit has been so useful for helping me to set and reach goals.  Why create a goal that is inherently unattainable?

Best Answer
190 REPLIES 190

I've achieved over 90 one time since it was implemented.  For reference, I don't set any alarm, so my wake up is "natural".  The single 91 I scored was after a night where I got 8 hours 19 minutes restful sleep (9 hours and 8 minutes total sleep).

My actual average restful is between 6h30m and 7h15m.  I generally score between 80 and 84.  I'm totally fine with that, but the stupid scoring implies I could sleep 15-20% better each night, which doesn't seem possible, as the score seems to value time spent restful sleeping the most, and no way will I ever be able to achieve over 8 hours restful regularly (meaning likely over 9 total) - nor would I want to.

However, I've given up on the score being useful just today.  I've been working on my poor posture lately, and may have overdid it a bit on Sunday - as yesterday I had a bit more back pain that usual (it's gradually going down, but some days I maybe exercise a bit too much or sit poorly a bit too much, still).  My restful sleep when I woke up this morning checked in at 4h51m (I was up later than usual as I was just uncomfortable) and my total was only 5h13m.  I felt like hot trash, and needed a 90 minute nap about 4 hours later.  However I was scored at an 80 - which is simply laughable.

I've only had one other night with such poor sleep since the score came into being, and it was rightly scored much lower (66 - though I would have rated it lower), and so many much better nights of sleep scored in the 70's.

I don't see the point of the Sleep Score at all.  In my 48 years I've never slept as much as it seems to indicate I need to in order to get an excellent night's sleep, and have no need nor desire to start now.  And when it scores bad nights as "good", it's number becomes useless.

Best Answer

@Yennnny   First, if you don't mind, I am going to move this thread to the Sleep Better forum.  You bring up some very interesting observations.  I think this thread will generate more interest and responses in the Sleep Better forum than in the iOS app forum.

This Help article explains what is used in calculating a sleep score.  Premium users get more specific information about each component of their sleep score.

Sleep changes with age.  Recently, my daughter sent me her sleep stage graph that showed zero minutes awake.  Not typical for me.  I suspect there are higher scores out there, especially from those users who are out right after their heads hit the pillow and open their eyes the next morning.

Strong sleeping pills are not the answer.  Some sleeping pills interfere with deep and REM sleep.  Likewise, more than moderate alcohol use interferes with sleep stages.

The Fitbit Blog has articles that discuss improving sleep.  The Blog is just one of many sources available to help with sleep.  

Last night I got my highest score ever, an 86 on 7 hrs 23 mins of sleep.  I had much less time awake, a lot of deep and REM sleep and a lot of time with my sleeping heart rate less than my RHR.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

So, summing up, 100 is not achievable? Then why the sleep score is designed to set unrealistic standards that push users into anxiety and depression?

Best Answer

I regularly get sleep scores of 90 and 91. I have FitBit premium and the score is calculated as such:  Time Asleep counts for 50 points, Deep+REM count for 25 points, and sleeping heart rate counts for 25. I scored a 91 when I was asleep for 8:45 (46/50 points), received 2 hours of Deep+2 hours of Rem (23/25 points), had my sleeping heart rate at 87% below my resting heart rate (22/25 points). Improvements in each of these 3 categories would get you to a score of 100. 

Best Answer

FOLLOW UP: I am in awe how our bodies adapt and respond to changes.  Due only to persistence and my sleep research, I offer this progress update to those interested in the science of healthy sleep habits.  My restoration sleep score continues to improve (21 to 23 out of 25) which in turn affects the overall sleep score with daily averages now in the 90 to 95 range.  I am committed more than ever to adapt everything I have gleaned so far into a lifetime of healthy habits towards restful sleep. Thank you Fitbit for participating and being a vital part of my overall healthy lifestyle. 

Excellent answer Squatticus.
I subscribed to Fitbit premium to use as a guide to help me set and achieve better health goals. My rationale, I would rather spend $6.67 per month for Fitbit premium in order to stave off hundreds of dollars per month in prescription drugs for the rest of my life. I find the sleep data and analysis plus the other guides that come with the Fitbit premium quite useful.
Having said that, as far as the sleep score is concerned; for me, it is simply another tool to help me achieve improved health by developing healthier lifestyle choices. I don’t view the sleep score as competitive or some race I have to win.  For me personally, I ascertained my biggest hurdle was the restoration subset of the sleep score which is based on the sleeping heart rate.  Because of the data from my sleep score analysis, I discovered by lowering my resting heart rate and my sleeping heart rate naturally through interval training and breathing exercises, I improved my sleep restoration. For the first time last night, my sleeping heart rate was below my resting heart rate 65% of the time I was asleep, which gave me a score of 21 out of 25. A huge improvement since I started tracking my sleep in the Fitbit app. This small progress is definitely worth the $6.67 per month.
Don’t get me wrong, the Fitbit premium is not a solution for everyone but it certainly has shed some light on areas of fitness and health I wasn’t even aware of. It is my wish we all can achieve our overall health goals through our sweet dreams...

“A person who resolves to begin regular morning exercises usually does so not because he already has physical fitness but in order to get something he does not have. Once one has something he can be anxious to keep it; previous to that, he is anxious to get it.”
Best Answer

"Because of the data from my sleep score analysis, I discovered by lowering my resting heart rate and my sleeping heart rate naturally through interval training and breathing exercises, I improved my sleep restoration."

Thanks for sharing that observation and your success. It is interesting to see that the sleep score provides actionable information for improving sleep beyond just staying in bed longer.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

I had a Sleep Score 90 recently where it was typically around the 80's..  For others here I have Premium so I can analyse these scores.

Why ?.... I had a walking, "over use" issue in my calf muscles and my RHR shot up to 61. The sleep  Restoration results had my sleeping HR at 95% under the elevated RHR.. I have genetic low HR..

See this link which reported an odd error about sleep  but the graph is there on the 11th December with a score of 22/25..

@Baltoscott  and @LZeeW  I feel the mathematics is incorrect in this case because I lowered the RHR after physio after 3 days and it's remained constant at 57 bpm now, on the way to 52 again..  The sleeping HR is back to 40-50% under the new RHR which gives me a score of 17/25.. Overall beck to a Sleep Score of 80

@SilviaFitbit is handling the error in the link and I'm hoping there is more thought on the RHR and Sleeping HR.  Or, maybe, I'm just the genetic odd one, and come outside the normal distribution bell curve of the Fitbit population.

But the Sleep scoring works for me with the restless nights, because in Melbourne (Australia) we are having our typical weather of 4 seasons in a week, except rain..  It will be 44oC (111oF)  today and 21oC (70oF) tomorrow, It was 41oC (106oF) 2 days ago and the same drop again yesterday.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit is an analytical model of how you use your body.  And all models are wrong, but some models are useful.  So, a better question is why are people getting depressed over a device that generates some information based on your heart rate and hand movements?  It's not an EEG machine.  It's not even an EKG machine.

I would like everyone here to use this platform as a useful tool that helps you take better care of yourself, and not as a video game to be won.

Moderator edit:  word choice

Best Answer

100 is achievable. I already laid out how the sleep score is calculated and what metrics need to be improved to achieve 100. 

Best Answer

I think the question really is, does anyone every actually achieve it? Have you?

Best Answer

Since we are told that sleep decreases in quality by age, I wish Fitbit would show age adjusted sleep scores in addition to what they are doing now. It may be that some of us who are in our 70s or 60s or 80s and have lower sleep scores or actually doing quite well compared to the population of people their age.

Wish someone from Fitbit would answer this!

Best Answer

There is a benchmark section, which will tell you for your age range what a typical night's sleep looks like for your age group.

Best Answer

Still wondering if Squatticus - or anyone else - has actually achieved 100?  Knowing the metrics is one thing.  Knowing if 100 is achievable is a separate matter.  And knowing specifically what steps to take to achieve it is yet another. (Metrics= If you have $100 and multiply by 10, you will have $1000.  But what steps do you take to multiply it, has it ever been achieved by anyone taking those steps, and is it achievable to most anyone who takes those steps?).  

Best Answer

FOLLOW UP: I am in awe how our bodies adapt and respond to changes.  Due only to persistence and my sleep research, I offer this progress update to those interested in the science of healthy sleep habits.  My restoration sleep score continues to improve (21 to 23 out of 25) which in turn affects the overall sleep score with daily averages now in the 90 to 95 range.  I am committed more than ever to adapt everything I have gleaned so far into a lifetime of healthy habits towards restful sleep. Thank you Fitbit for participating and being a vital part of my overall healthy lifestyle. 

How were you able to lower your sleeping HR? I’ve lowered my RHR by 10 over the past month in a half but my sleeping HR is still well above my RHR for the first 1/2-1/3 of the night (sometimes more). I understand lowering your RHR will help but so far my sleeping HR hasn’t changed. I also get that it’s been a short amount of time since I started watching this and it takes time. I would think that lowering my RHR by so much already that it would have made some kind of difference. I’ve had 2 nights where my sleeping HR was higher for less than 1/2 the night. I analyzed those days and see nothing that was different on those days than any other. I must be missing something here.
I have also done some research but I’ve not had much success in finding ways to lower both sleeping HR and REM sleep. I tend to get way more REM than average and less light sleep due to that, even though one of meds is supposed to suppress REM. I did skip that 2 nights and there was no change in REM sleep, I just had muscle spasms for several days after which made it harder to exercise those days. 
A side note: I do not drink, I have chronic pain so am limited on cardio workouts (I do walk and am able to spend some of the time walking faster in short bursts to bring it up, but never to peak), I’m 5’5” and 157lbs with a 26.2 BMI down from 28.6 (still dropping fat and gaining muscle). I’m sure the fat loss will help too. Unfortunately I do need medication to keep my pain in check. I have dropped by 50% in the past year, which helps other areas of my life, wish I could live on nothing but it’s not doable if I don’t want to be home bound. 
What kind of breathing exercises do you do that have helped you? I know they may not help me but I’d like to give it a shot. I do 3 mins of inhale 5, exhale 8 nightly before bed. It helps me fall asleep faster and I do feel better if I don’t forget to do them, which is very rare. 
Any advise or reading references would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your post. It gives me hope that it’s possible to lower my SHR!

Best Answer

I regularly get sleep scores of 90 and 91. I have FitBit premium and the score is calculated as such:  Time Asleep counts for 50 points, Deep+REM count for 25 points, and sleeping heart rate counts for 25. I scored a 91 when I was asleep for 8:45 (46/50 points), received 2 hours of Deep+2 hours of Rem (23/25 points), had my sleeping heart rate at 87% below my resting heart rate (22/25 points). Improvements in each of these 3 categories would get you to a score of 100. 

Same question as I asked Austin...How were you able to lower your sleeping HR. My RHR is lower by 10 but there’s no change in sleeping HR. Please see my reply to Austin for more details. 

Any ideas are welcome! I’d love your input since it sounds like you’ve found the sweet spot! 
btw I’m not looking at this as a game to be won. I’d just like to figure out how to get less REM and how to lower my sleeping HR. I do well in the amount of time asleep and all other areas, it’s just my sleeping HR is high and my REM tends to be higher than average. I rarely go to bed and wake at different times. I may sleep an extra hour on Saturday mornings every few weeks but that’s only 1-2x a month max. I did forget to add that I’m currently a 43yrs female with over 10,000 steps a day. I consider myself moderately active by walking and doing resistance training 3-5x a week. I’m unable to run or jog but try to do spurts of speed walking while in my daily walks. Those are not as I’d like but better than it used to be. Still working on increasing the duration of spurts to work my heart a little more. Never expect it to be on high end for long due to pain issues stopping me from any jarring exercise but do want to spend more time in the middle area while exercising. 
Thanks for your comment as well, you both have given me hope that better sleep is possible!

Best Answer

Over the last month external influences have affected my RHR.. Mainly th fluctuating Melbourne weather and temperatures. On high temperature sleep nights.. (we don't sleep with the aircons on), my RHR stabilized at 58 for 3 days and a week earlier, when it was a "blanket" night to sleep it went down to 52..

Over that time my average sleep score is 83 and a peak of 90.. The image below shows how I lose sleep score.  Because it uses yesterday's RHR I suffer in the numbers.. Fortunately this measure is only 25% of the total score.

Restore HR 15feb20.jpg

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

The highest I've managed to score is an 89, and the lowest I've scored was a 51. My average tends to rest around 87. I do have premium, so I can see the breakdown. As long as I hit my sleep goal (6 hours), my scores seems to stay above 85. The next important piece seems to be how much time is spent with my heart rate below my average resting heart rate for that day. After that seems to be how much time I spent awake. I'm unsure how to raise the third category because it's based on how much deep and REM sleep you get. I always seem to score 20-22 out of 25 on a normal night. I pretty much always hit the "benchmark" for the percentage of time spent in each category, but my deep and REM tend to be at the bottom end. My light sleep is practically always at the very top of its benchmark, so it may be that it values deep and REM sleep over light sleep. How much you toss and turn at night also seems to be a factor, but I don't see a significant difference caused by it. The app does talk about its breakdown, and what it says is pretty similar to what I've noticed. I think, to have a 'perfect' score, you have to score 0% on their restlessness, get a LOT of deep and REM sleep, hit your sleep goal, and wake up very very little. Possibly not at all. I wish I had my Fitbit on when I went into my coma in January. It lasted 27 hours, and I would've loved to see how they broke down my sleep score for that.

Best Answer

I think the standard is supposed to be in the 80s. 90-100 is marked as "excellent," so I think it's supposed to be those extremely good nights of sleep that people don't have near as often. If they made 100 the 'normal' amount of sleep, then they wouldn't be able to show when you had a REALLY good night of sleep. Though it does seem that they should bump it up a little seeing as how 100 is likely impossible without going into a short coma.

Best Answer

What I am about to share with you works for me. My disclaimer is that you please clear any physical exertion beyond your normal levels with a qualified professional. 
Before I start, allow me to share this thought I discovered years ago which made an impression on me at the time and still speaks volumes today, “A person who resolves to begin regular morning exercises usually does so not because he already has physical fitness but in order to get something he does not have. Once one has something he can be anxious to keep it; previous to that, he is anxious to get it.”
My passion for fitness exceeds 40 years.  I taught aerobics back in the day of leg warmers until running became the “in” thing to talk about and do. So naturally I had to become a runner. Fast forward to today, I am now retired and I try to maintain a sensible routine that includes the four components of fitness: cardio, strength training, flexibility, and nutrition. About 20 years ago I stumbled on Phil Campbell’s Sprint 8 for my cardio, just 20 minutes a day. (Here’s a link to describe the theory: https://sprint8.com/the-workout/). An interval type workout is extremely beneficial for strengthening the heart muscle which in turn lowers the RHR. The Sprint 8 can be adjusted to your current level of fitness and gradually increased over time.
Strength training (not bodybuilding or weightlifting) keeps my major muscle groups in check. I do no more than ten repetitions each using handheld weights for the major skeletal muscle groups forming the upper body which are the abdominal, pectoral, deltoid, trapezius, latissimus dorsi, erector spinae, biceps, and triceps. The major skeletal muscle groups of the lower body are the quadriceps, hamstrings, gastrocnemius, soleus, and gluteus. I always work both sides of a muscle group so as not to cause injury in tearing a muscle due to a lack of resilience in an underworked muscle.
Flexibility is important to keep the tendons and ligaments structurally aligned to support the entire skeletal system. Flexibility is the range of motion in a joint or group of joints or the ability to move joints effectively through a complete range of motion. Flexibility training includes stretching exercises to lengthen the muscles. 

Nutrition is the fitness glue and is more than a fad diet with a scale. I chose to go vegan three years ago and I limit my intake of salt, no refined sugar, and no processed foods. When my sodium intake is high, I notice a correlating increase in my RHR for that day. To keep the critical food naysayers at bay I simply tell them my food choices are the result of a heart condition.  The heart condition doesn’t have to be a bad thing [wink and a smile].

OK, let me summarize and I apologize for rambling but our RHR is the result of all of the above. The whole idea is to train your heart to work smarter not harder. Throw in deep breathing exercises to train your diaphragm and lungs to disperse the ever important oxygen to your blood cells and major organs and you are on the right path to a healthier lifestyle. I breath deep (nose breathing not mouth breathing) whenever I am not talking; deep nose breathing is an acquired habit. Most people tend to be shallow mouth breathers and bypasses the all important function of the nose which filters out contaminants and warms the air before it enters the lungs. Last but not least, I try to maintain a daily 10,000+ step regimen.  Oh and the best part of staying healthy is achieving good mental health, reduced stress, and low blood pressure sans prescription meds. 
Thank you for asking the question and thank you for reading this post. May all your steps be heart healthy...

“A person who resolves to begin regular morning exercises usually does so not because he already has physical fitness but in order to get something he does not have. Once one has something he can be anxious to keep it; previous to that, he is anxious to get it.”
Best Answer