Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to earn a 100 sleep score?

According to this article by Fitbit, most users earn a sleep score between 72-83.  Since the score is out of 100, and the display on iOS shows up as a circle that I have failed to close, I am wondering if anyone has ever actually earned a sleep score of 100.   Is it actually possible to achieve this goal?  If so, how?  Were strong sleeping pills involved?  

(Edit to add: No, I do not take sleeping pills, I do not drink, and I do not want to take any substances.  I made this comment because I believe the scoring system sets an impossible standard.  And no, I am not buying premium just to see the math).

Honestly, even on a night when I slept for over 10 hours with plenty of deep sleep, my “score” was still only an 84.  It seems impossible to earn above the low 80s.

It feels like I am taking one of those impossible “weed-out” classes in college where nobody earns above a B- and the prof doesn’t give As on principle.  Is that the model here?  

If it’s not really possible to get a sleep score of 100, why is the sleep score configured to look like an achievable “goal” from which we have somehow fallen short?  If we are doing everything in our power to get good sleep, and we still cannot earn 100 or even 90, what’s the point of it?  Fitbit has been so useful for helping me to set and reach goals.  Why create a goal that is inherently unattainable?

Best Answer
190 REPLIES 190

This is awesome info, thank you. I have talked to my dr and she told me to listen to body and stop/slow down when needed. She feels my only limits are what my body can deal with pain wise. Other than pain and being a bit overweight she feels I’m in good shape, especially after loosing some weight over this past year (25lbs from Jan-Dec). Unfortunately I don’t think the sprint8 is for me. A bit more than this body can handle :). Yes, eating well makes a big difference too. I started changing my habits in October. It’s not a fad diet, or any diet really. I just try to stay under 2,000 calories a day and watch my macros. I try my best to get as close to 40-30-30 as possible. I’ve been closer to 45-25-30 lately, which I’m fine with. Most carbs come from natural foods now. I eat processed stuff every once in great while. I don’t think I could maintain if I cut it all out. I rarely get craving for that stuff anymore, so when I do I allow myself to eat whatever I’m craving (although I try to wait a day to see if it passes). 
I’ll have to try more deep breathing. Right now I just do it before bed. Also, I probably need to add more resistance training. As of now I’ll do resistance and flexibility training 2x a week for about 20-30mins. It’s the one thing I find no enjoyment in, but I know I’ll feel better if I do it. I can definitely feel it if I skip a week or two!

Thanks again for your input, I definitely appreciate it! Hopefully doing more deep breathing, flexibility training and resistance will help me get a better nights sleep! I know it’s all connected, just didn’t know where to start. Now I do!

Best Answer
Why hasn’t fitbit included oxygen saturation measurement into existing Alta hr models? My report mentions it now but states only other devices have it.
I’d like that data but like the size and appearance of my Alta HR.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I started watching my sleep score I was in low 70’s and high 60’s. I paid attention to what I did the day before:ate, excercise, (I’m not a real fan but I try walking 6000 steps on average) the temp of the blanket, what time I went to bed, whether I napped or fell asleep before bedtime and the effects of Tylenol alcohol etc.  keep an eye on how many times you wakeup or are in the red.  THEN you work on it little by little - pay attention and adjust your habits  After almost one year I have reached 86 as a high, often low 80s to mid 80s and I am looking forward to reaching 90.  Good luck

Best Answer

" Premium users get more specific information about each component of their sleep score."

this explain the scam

Best Answer

I am happy for you. but don't you think this is a terrible attitude from a company I trusted for about a decade? showing only useful info for those who go premium, and hiding that data to other (faithful) customers? not only hiding, but MESSING with their minds. Showing an useless number that can only be "explained" if you fill some more money to their pockets? 

Disgusting. 

have a good sleep

Best Answer

I scored 88 recently and my youngest daughter had a 91 around Christmas time. I would imagine 100 would be difficult to fit inside the circle so I'd say 99 would be the highest possible. My longest deep sleep is 1 hour 47 minutes on a 81 score.  Now I'm wondering if anybody has died, what their scores would be?

Best Answer

I love that! If someone died, what their score would be! Finally someone with a sense of humor! I'm new to the forum but I've been wearing my Fit bit for 3-4 years. My highest score is a 92. I don't have a normal because I have Fibromyalgia and it messes with my sleep. And I have a very demanding cat! 🙂 She messes with my sleep too! But here's the thing...and someone else mentioned it - don't take the Fitbit scoring too seriously. Yes, I love getting scores in the high 80s. But this isn't algebra class. If I wake up with a score of 55, I didn't FAIL! 

I eat right most of the time, get too much exercise (live on an acreage) and have some health issues. I make one exception to my day - I don't set an alarm. So breathe people! Give yourself some Grace! If I let the Fitbit rule my life, I'd be miserable. It's a tool. Use it for what's it's meant to do...to track things and to give you a window to what's going on inside of you. Anything past that has the potential for obsession. 

Best Answer

hi everyone whats the sleep score and how do i see mine as i only usually only get 2-4 hrs sleep anyway because of my anxiety and sleep disorder if anyone can help me out id much appreciate ti 

thanks 

Best Answer
Best Answer

I’m just an average person. Female in 50’s. I’m not a fitness or nutrition junky, I just live a balanced lifestyle, tend to be in bed pretty early most nights and rise early to watch the sunrise. I do some recreational exercise (cycling, walking, yoga), enjoy an occasional wine and eat too much sugary food. I usually get at least one or two scores over 90 each week. During the Coronavirus pandemic and being out of work, I haven’t been setting an alarm as often and have managed four scores this year of 94. As much as the OCD part of my personality would love to see that circle close and get a 100, I have contented myself with recording my PB’s instead. It would be great if Fitbit could add a feature for recording PB’s automatically.

Update - still can’t crack above 94 but this was a pretty good week.

01585F3C-4BB1-4093-9D9B-F25FD257BBE6.jpeg

Best Answer

I like to look at my sleep score I’ve had 90 a couple of times but mostly it is low 80’s I don’t take it that seriously and certainly don’t let it get me down. As long as you wake refreshed and feel rested is the main thing.

Best Answer

Most of the time I rank in the 70s and 80s once in a while I get up into the 90s but I know that personally I will never reach 100 just because of a few reasons... Number one most of the time I cannot go to the night without having to go to the bathroom which I know messes with the sleep schedule... And number two I move way too much in my sleep my body is just restless even though my mind is asleep I’m literally all over the bed.... When I dream I move in my dream if I’m walking upstairs I feel like I’m walking upstairs and I usually wake up because I tripped on the stairs in my dream I’m a very active sleeper... I also have issues with acid reflux and chronic pain so I know that also affects my sleep which in turn affects my sleep score but the fact that I got into the 90s makes me feel good and on the days I wake up and I had a 90+ sleep I usually feel better But when I score lower like a 68 I feel awful the whole day... I’ve tried different things like adding a heating pad when I go to bed, and getting a salt lam, and opening the window and turning on the fan, and they all affect my sleep In a positive way... I also sleep with my dog which changes my temperature and when I sleep in a hotel I notice it’s different where I can’t have a fan or a salt lamp or open a window.... If you just change some thing each night you might notice it your diet has something to do with it too... not eating right before bed helps me out also.... Tried changing up your routine a little bit and see how your sleep score changes... 

Best Answer

I agree! It seems sad that if you are in your older years, getting a 90+ sleep score would be impossible!
I am 51 and last night got my very first 90 score! I was shocked! It was 7hours 7minutes total from 9:36pm to 5:32am. (Actually was awake at 5, but sat up and did a meditation audio track) 49 Awake,1:40 REM, 3:12 Light, 2:15 Deep.

Best Answer

Hi there I was wondering were would I find this information??

Thanks 

Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wanderer1966  This link has the information, but if you need to analyse your score fully you need Fitbit Premium.

The 100 point are broken down as 50 points Time Asleep, 25 points Deep and REM and 25 points Restoration,.

@wanderer1966 wrote:

Hi there I was wondering were would I find this information??

Thanks 

Steve

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

The number is merely a very general guide. It is a number that is supposed to give a general insight into your sleep patterns and habits. I consistently score high 80's. I feel great, and I don't let it get me down. And high 80's is considered "Good" in the system.

If the sleep analysis function is causing you more stress than it is helping, it may be best not to rely on it so much. Rather, use your body is the ultimate guide. The app is just an adjunct. 

Best Answer

I have Premium and am recording the component scores for my length of sleep, Deep sleep, Heart rate etc. every day on a spreadsheet to track my progress, so have a good sense of how it is calculated. I think the 'Deep and REM' and 'Restoration' parts that together make up 50 points are fine and it is probably realistic to try to aim for close to 100% e.g. to start with my HR was averaging around 60% of resting heart rate, and recently it has been regularly 93-97%. My Deep sleep is very poor and that it what I am working on. 

But... I think the way the 'Time Asleep' component works is not correct. Respected sleep doctor Michael Breus says that the key thing in terms of length is to get 5 sleep cycles, but the length differs between people. On average each cycle is 90 minutes long which equates to 7.5 hours sleep, but for some it may be 6.5 or 8.5 hours (https://www.insider.com/how-to-figure-out-how-much-sleep-you-need-2017-1). I seem to get 5 good cycles in about 6.5 hours sleep, but Fitbit marks this down because they have a fixed benchmark for how long we should sleep. 

So ideally the 'Time Asleep' target should adjust over time to what each of us needs, given the average length of our sleep cycles. Do others agree?

Best Answer

I may achieve 90 but typically in the low 80's. why ?

I have a low RHR and in Autumn/Winter the Restoration score always sits around 16/25..  when my RHR gets to 54.. Go up to 58 and I get 20/25

Extra blankets for autumn/winter don't help.. Thast just raises my sleeping HR over the RHR..  A doona is too hot for me....

This has been mentioned in earlier posts.. So I sit with 82 average..

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

It's in the Fitbit app, you'll see your sleep score by clicking on the sleep score icon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I have gotten it before:)🙊🙈🙉

Nic Powerpowernic92@gmail.com
Best Answer