Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to earn a 100 sleep score?

According to this article by Fitbit, most users earn a sleep score between 72-83.  Since the score is out of 100, and the display on iOS shows up as a circle that I have failed to close, I am wondering if anyone has ever actually earned a sleep score of 100.   Is it actually possible to achieve this goal?  If so, how?  Were strong sleeping pills involved?  

(Edit to add: No, I do not take sleeping pills, I do not drink, and I do not want to take any substances.  I made this comment because I believe the scoring system sets an impossible standard.  And no, I am not buying premium just to see the math).

Honestly, even on a night when I slept for over 10 hours with plenty of deep sleep, my “score” was still only an 84.  It seems impossible to earn above the low 80s.

It feels like I am taking one of those impossible “weed-out” classes in college where nobody earns above a B- and the prof doesn’t give As on principle.  Is that the model here?  

If it’s not really possible to get a sleep score of 100, why is the sleep score configured to look like an achievable “goal” from which we have somehow fallen short?  If we are doing everything in our power to get good sleep, and we still cannot earn 100 or even 90, what’s the point of it?  Fitbit has been so useful for helping me to set and reach goals.  Why create a goal that is inherently unattainable?

Best Answer
190 REPLIES 190
Kate Venneri
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
I’ve had the highest numbers and the most deep sleep and rem sleep when I did drink wine. Up in the high 80s and even 91 a few times. And once the score of 91 was with a timing of six hours and 28 minutes of sleep. So I don’t understand what relates to what, but it’s nice to see that all is well.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

You shouldn’t care that much about your sleep score for it to push you to the brink of depression and/or anxiety. Your the one who’s coming up with the unrealistic stats

Best Answer
0 Votes
Dont know where u r getting your info. I’m 69 yrs old, I get an average of about 82 for a sleep score with an occasional 86 88 or 89
I keep track of the causes and effects and determined it is basically related to diet and excercise, how much and when I drank anything including water. I don’t excercise much. Nothing unrealistic about that.

Hope all is well with you and your family. God Bless! Eileen🌸🌸🌸
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’ve had my Versa 2 since March and I have yet to get a score at all. I had my husband wear it one night to confirm it was working. He got a score right away. I recently called customer services after trying many changes to make it register a score and they told me that I don’t sleep long enough that a time without restlessness to register a score or analysis of my sleep. If anyone has advice, I’d appreciate it. I’m 5’5, 135, 54 years old, and I walk 3-5 miles most days. I take no meds, don’t drink or smoke and have one cup of coffee most days, occasionally two. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it might be more about comparing and consistency for yourself. If you have a sleep score of 85 every day and suddenly you have a 70 you might say 'whoa what happened?' I don't think 100 is meant to mean "perfect". 

Best Answer
0 Votes

In fact, if someone is consistency falling asleep as soon as their head hit the pillow, that might actually be an indicator of a problem. They might be too tired, not eating well, OR have a sleep disorder. If one falls asleep right away and goes right into REM sleep, that's a sign of narcolepsy.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think 100 is a goal few people make- but it’s a goal. My highest is 87 and i felt great when I woke up. If your number is low- change one thing for a week and watch what happens.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. We are getting a new SleepNumber bed to trial for 100 days. I want to make sure it is realistic to get sleep scores in the 90's, as that is my goal with the new bed. I'm hoping less back and hip joint pressure will reduce pain, restlessness and improve my sleep scores. The bed is going to give me a number too. Interested to see how they compare. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I was having trouble sleeping due to hip pain. I found my sleep improved greatly when I started both strengthening the glutes with exercise and stretching the hips with Yoga. I no longer get hip pain in bed and get sleep scores in the early 90’s 3 or 4 times a week.
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was having trouble sleeping due to hip pain. I found my sleep improved greatly when I  started both strengthening the glutes with exercise and stretching the hips with Yoga. I  no longer get hip pain in bed and get sleep scores in the early 90’s 3 or 4 times a week.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Let us know. I got a Gel topper and it also made a difference. Less pain and awake time means higher numbers. Be sure to make your sleep time goal as well. I do 6.5 hrs per night cause it’s doable.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Wow. Let us know your routine, bed, diet. How are u doing that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m an early riser. Up at 5:15 for a leisurely bike ride and stretch routine. Then into the day’s activities, work, etc. in the evening we eat dinner around 6pm,  I might spend an hour or so watching TV, drink a Celestial Seasonings Sleepytine Tea, read for 10mins then I’m out like a light around 9:00pm. I leave the running of the world to God while I sleep soundly.

I participate in recreational sport a couple of times a week and do a bit of Yoga. My diet is home cooked mostly, healthy but not obsessively so. I will have a glass of wine a couple of times a week with dinner. I eat white bread, pasta and rice, and enjoy a biscuit or chocolate with my cuppa, which fails most healthy eating plans. I am a healthy weight. Basically, moderation and common sense in all things.

Best Answer
Whsts your score?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got a 90 once, but I didn't feel all that different from my usual scores in the 70s and 80s.

Best Answer
0 Votes
What did you do that day to get a 90.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm not sure. I think I didn't sleep well the night before, so I was
probably zonked and went to bed early. The Fitbit app says I was asleep by
10:23pm and woke up at 7:33am with 1 hr 5 min awake through the night. I
tend to have a lot of red lines on my Time Asleep graph. I don't know why
I wake up so many times. I'm only aware of getting up once or twice to use
the bathroom most nights (except those horrible nights when I'm wide awake
for 2-3 hours in the middle of the night or the nights when I wake up at
4:30am and am up for the day).

I can tell you, though, if I drink wine at all (even 1 glass), I don't
sleep as well as the nights when I don't drink. That's the biggest
variable for me, and it's been very apparent in the data since I've been
wearing my Fitbit. Also, I think if I get a good amount of exercise - more
like constant activity all day as opposed to a 1-hour workout, actually - I
do sleep better. And eating healthy is better than not.

It's annoying, but it's just what my mother taught me growing up - eat
healthy, be active, and don't drink!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have using the Fitbit for years and have watched my score since it started. I work out everyday and have over 17,000 a day and 100 plus active minutes on average. I fall asleep within 5 minutes or less when hitting the pillow and have found when working out a lot and doing exercise - biking, weights, sports, etc, I have gotten 90 sleep score many times. Just this week I got a 92 with my all time high 93. Low room temperature is also key being around 66 degrees and black our shades and Phone/TV before bed. I average 87 score a week and usually have one 90 score a week minimum, more in Winter. I do not drink or take any sleeping pills. 

Best Answer

I'm not sure that we're meant to understand 'score' as though we're being marked in an exam. It's a metric that measures your sleep against a theoretical ideal sleep. I don't expect to reach 100, but I find it a very helpful measure. I use fitbit primarily for mental health tracking, and have been doing so for 14 or so months. I find that a good sleep for me is in the 80s, very occasionally in the 90s, but my sleep is usually in the 70s. It serves as an early warning system, so that I can take appropriate action to make sure I have what I need to get through the day. It's also helpful for me to observe objectively the factors that contribute to my score: how long I was in bed before I turned off the light, bedroom temperature, whether my children woke me up, diet etc.

So I'd say it's not meant to be a goal to reach 100. It's just helpful information that you can use or not use depending on whether that sleep score is meeting your needs.

Best Answer