Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to earn a 100 sleep score?

According to this article by Fitbit, most users earn a sleep score between 72-83.  Since the score is out of 100, and the display on iOS shows up as a circle that I have failed to close, I am wondering if anyone has ever actually earned a sleep score of 100.   Is it actually possible to achieve this goal?  If so, how?  Were strong sleeping pills involved?  

(Edit to add: No, I do not take sleeping pills, I do not drink, and I do not want to take any substances.  I made this comment because I believe the scoring system sets an impossible standard.  And no, I am not buying premium just to see the math).

Honestly, even on a night when I slept for over 10 hours with plenty of deep sleep, my “score” was still only an 84.  It seems impossible to earn above the low 80s.

It feels like I am taking one of those impossible “weed-out” classes in college where nobody earns above a B- and the prof doesn’t give As on principle.  Is that the model here?  

If it’s not really possible to get a sleep score of 100, why is the sleep score configured to look like an achievable “goal” from which we have somehow fallen short?  If we are doing everything in our power to get good sleep, and we still cannot earn 100 or even 90, what’s the point of it?  Fitbit has been so useful for helping me to set and reach goals.  Why create a goal that is inherently unattainable?

Best Answer
190 REPLIES 190
I believe my original post was an attempt to see if Fitbit would simply explain, “Is the score adjusted at all for age?” No reply from them at all. I too usually score in the 80s. When I check the benchmarks for my age, I am awake less, and well within the other measurements or exceed them and yet my score remains in the 80s. So meeting those goals what else is missing in the mathematics to obtain the score?

Kate Venneri
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Kate. Where did you find the benchmarks according to age? I'd love to
see those for my age, too. -cj
Best Answer
0 Votes
When you go to sleep score and see the bar graph scroll down to see your sleep stages. Click on the sleep stages then scroll down just below to see “benchmark” in light gray tab. Click on that and it shows how you line up with age benchmarks.

Kate Venneri
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks very much! I never noticed that. It turns out I'm usually right in
the middle of the benchmark ranges or closer to the good side. Nice!

cj
Best Answer
0 Votes

I did get a 90 one time. I do agree that 100 should be attainable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Screenshot_20201231-001717_Fitbit.jpg

Best Answer
0 Votes

The system may have changed since the first post was there. 

Everyone seems to mostly talk about hours of restful sleep.

for a score of 80 The other night I had 10 hours 9 minutes asleep and 1 hour 45 awake, I met all my age group averages for REM, deep and light sleep (this seems to always affect my score) and then I had 71% below resting heart rate and 11% restless. This is the longest sleep I have had with fit bit, one of the best REM/deep/light ratios and best low heart rate but still only got a score of 80. My sleep goal per night is 8 hours rested. No substances taken. 

my highest ever sleep score is 83 on 8 hour 6 minutes rested, Well within the sleep stage bench marks and 83% below rested heart rate. 

so amount of sleep isn’t the be all and end all. 

ive tried to find how to get my rested heart rate down during sleep. And it’s inconclusive. I don’t have sleep apnea and I’m not over weight, that’s the only advice I can find online. My heart rate rockets often in deep sleep not REM, I do get night terrors so maybe it’s that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, i've averaged 88 my highest score is 92, i've seen 94 on picture. Few tips i've noticed (i'm a men mid 30s I do 15min hiit training 5 times a week.)

having a big supper will lower my score, having more then 3 beer equivalent will drop my score. snacking less then 3 hours before bed will lower my score.  if it's cold (winter) and lack covering my score drops a bit too. i have AC for summer but would think if it's really hot it will lower your score too.

it all seems to affect my heart beat and deep sleep. that's me but i think it should be similar for others too. Having a large bladder helps too, i never wake to pee I know many women do, my wife does and it seems to lower her score.

all the best and try to be the best version of yourselves, see 100 sleep score like the gold medal in olympics, not a realistic goal 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for replying my average is about 85 but yesterday I got 92 which is good I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

came on here  to ask "does anything above 90 even exist and how do i get there without resorting to serious pharmaceuticals?!" haha

had a recent personal record -89- i am not a great sleeper but when i sleep i SLEEP and used to be able to do solid 8/9 on weekends (no more, alas)

work out and or walk 10-15K a day and eat well - i want that 90-100 unicorn!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, my average is about 8.3 I do sometimes get 8.9 and on a odd occasion I got 9 but not often. I’m a light sleeper and I am very active but seem to feel ok during the day.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have closely watched and worked on my sleep score for over a year. Last week my avg score was 90. My high was 93. Yesterday an 85 but I know why. Today back to 91. I have found numerous things to work on and how variations effect my sleep/sleep score. To one of your points, more sleep or an abundance of sleep is not always better. If I sleep over 8 hrs (actual sleep, excluding waking moments) it reduces my score and I feel groggy. You have to find your "sweet spot". For me it's around 7 hrs, give or take 30 mins. I know how painful paying for their premium package is but must admit w/o their deeper data, additional insights, and initial use of their sleep programs, I'd never have improved my sleep. FYI, my whole life I bragged about being able to work with 4 hrs of sleep. As I got older it had a serious effect on my memory, emotions, and many other things. Boy have I been proven wrong. Good quality sleep is essential. 

Signed, 

Shooting for a 98.

100 doesn't seem attainable. 

Best Answer

I've had a fitbit since 2014. I was also disgusted w/the idea of paying for my own data. However, I bought a new Charge 4 about a yr ago and it came w/a free trial of Premium. I quickly found a wealth of data that wasn't mine, info that was compiled from various sources that were directly on point and then programs that helped with my various goals. In the past 1.5 yrs I've lost 35 lbs, and kept it off. I exercise consistently and finally have good sleep habits. Last week's avg sleep was 90. Yesterday was a rough 85 but I know why. Last night a 91.

There's plenty of things that tick me off about Fitbit, like how horrible their historically great support has become, but their premium is well worth the fee if you use it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone, it's great to see you around! 

Thank you very much for your inputs!  Needless to say that your overall sleep score is a sum of your individual scores in sleep duration, sleep quality, and restoration. You can always refer to this help article in case some other questions arise What's sleep score in the Fitbit app?

On a side note, I'd like to recommend reading this blog to get a good night's sleep with Fitbit's Sleep tools. 

See you around.

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

8h50 hours = 46 points

What would be 50 points? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrfilipelememos, welcome to the community forums! 😊 

Sleep score ranges are:

• Excellent: 90-100
  • Good: 80-89
  • Fair: 60-79
  • Poor: Less than 60 

So, if you get a Sleep Score of 50, it means your Sleep Score is in the Poor range. So, in order to improve the Sleep Score range, it is recommended to follow the tips suggested in the link that was shared on my post above. 

Also, take into consideration that the sum of your Sleep Score is based on your individual scores in sleep duration, sleep quality, and restoration. Currently, this is the only way to estimate your Sleep Score. 

Duration: Time asleep and awake

How much you slept—the more you sleep, the better your score.

Quality: Deep & REM sleep

How much time you spent in deep and REM sleep—the more time you spend in these sleep stages, the better your score.

Restoration: Sleeping heart rate & restlessness

How relaxed you were during sleep—a high sleeping heart rate or too much tossing and turning lowers your score.

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I normally get about 85 but I don’t get more than a hour or so Deep sleep the most I’ve had is 1 hour 30.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I got a 94 two months and usually get a 90 to 91 twice a week, usually on the weekend. I got a 48 out 50 and 7 hours and 34 minutes sleep but I only had 24 minutes restless sleep.  I think the key is have 10 minutes or less of restless sleep along with being in range of 6.5 to 8 hours. I think being over does not necessarily help.  I have the free 3 month premium and got the 24 minute restless from that.  

Best Answer

@Angel60@Nevermissaday,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! 😎  @Angel60, take into consideration that in order to improve your sleep score, work on your overall sleep habits, heart health, and activity levels: Exercise earlier in the day or at least 3 to 4 hours before you go to sleep. 

As @Nevermissaday mentioned, he also uses Premium service in which more advanced sleep features can be used. For information, check: 

How To Rest Easier With Fitbit’s Sleep Tools

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

cool, that's helpfull

Hi. Thank you for the response.
But can you be more specific?

Duration: how much time equals 50/50? 8h? is 10h worst than 9h?

Quality: how much time for each equals 25/25? 2h30?

Restoration: How much lower does your sleeping heart rate as to be from
your average is optimum? And how do measure restlessness? number of times
awake?, number of minutes awake?

Moderator Edit: Merged posts

Best Answer
0 Votes