Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal? Deep sleep to awake

AC1F15E3-6D76-4079-8CE3-B57D3E2DAD05.png

Hi wondering how normal or abnormal this pattern is. This is pretty much a normal night for me. It seems I go for from deep sleep which only lasts a few minutes to instant awake every single time.

Best Answer
29 REPLIES 29

Mine looks a lot like this.I suffer with night terrors I wake up doing odd stuff and then come round fully.I looked at last night's as I remembered the time I freaked out. It shows I was in deep sleep and then went straight to being awake. I don't snore so wouldn't say I have sleep apnea. Just wondered if anyone with sleep walking /talking/terrors had noticed this.

Best Answer

Dan 801, My sleep log used to look a lot like yours until I invested in a proper dentist made anti snore mouthpiece. 

As I was pretty convinced that I woke myself up by snoring and suspected sleep apnea (I often woke up being aware of a loud snoring noise and having difficulty breathing) I decided to get a sleep study done. 

The study showed quite a lot of snoring but hardly any apnea at all (my theory is that I woke myself up before it turned into apnea). This meant I could not get any kind of snoring aid on prescription. As I have no overweight and exercise quite a lot, I was told by the doctor that my snoring was probably caused by the position of my jaws (overbite), and that I might be helped by a mouthpiece. I therefore tried various kinds available commercially and they all stopped the snoring effectively but hurt my teeth. In the end I had a mouthpiece fitted by a specialized dentist.

Today, according to my Fitbit, I hardly ever wake up directly from deep sleep. I also get more deep sleep than before. My conclusion is that snoring (even without apnea) can be bad for your sleep.

Best Answer

I have been trying to diagnose my night terror sleep disorder for over 8 years and still left with no answers. My sleep analysis shows I wake straight from deep sleep, as well.  This happens 4-6 times a night... I previously was diagnosed with REM Sleep Behavior disorder associated with narcolepsy.  Most recently I was diagnosed with nocturnal seizures.  But still no definitive answer.  😞   I mostly remember my night terrors, where I am awake, however hallucinating something is happening and will snap back to actual reality fairly quickly.  For example, someone watching me outside the window, or a camera floating in the room. 

Best Answer

hey! I know this is an old thread but came across it while googling my own sleep after getting a Fitbit charge 3 recently.

I'm under investigation of nocturnal epilepsy (I do some weird stuff in my sleep, I sometimes remember it often don't, I hallucinate and have repetitive movements)

I was just wondering if your heart rates change in correspondence to your wakenings?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Most nights I have several awake periods that I don't remember and that happen on transitions. Many are from Deep to awake for a few minutes and then dropping into light sleep for only a minute before changing again. I started sleep talking suddenly and frequently starting in 2013. For 6 months this year I also suffered tremors in my upper body that would wake me up or may have been caused by the waking up. I have had two sleep studies that both said no sleep apnea. I do snore lightly but not regularly. I do still wonder about sleep apnea even though docs don't think so..  

Best Answer
0 Votes

My neurologist was exploring similar things with me. EEG showed no seizures, just muscle tension. But i have tremors that are a mystery. Also I have sleep attacks many days where I need to lay down immediately and will start dreaming right away. I am a heavy sleep talker but that seems to be my only movement. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this happen as well awake in deep sleep. I suspect I’m having silent seizures in the day I’m wondering if these could also be seizures in my sleep. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't think I'm considered a normal sleeper, but I know for a fact that I do not have sleep apnea. I've had a sleep study. I think I'm awake more than Fitbit says I'm awake though... This graph shows a decent night's sleep for me, according to versa 3.

Screenshot_20211011-113905.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes it is normal to have multiple awakenings but from REM or light sleep when you are already closest to awake! It is not normal to wake directly from a deep sleep and usually caused by sleep apnea, night terrors or some other parasomnia. 

Best Answer

I used to have a lot of Deep sleep lasting only a few minutes, and then going directly to Awake. This would happen up to 10 times during the night, and I was exhausted every morning. It turned out that the answer was that because I have Hypermobility syndrome (EDS), my joints sent some kind of neurological "alarm signal" to the brain every time I fell into Deep sleep because then the joints were totally relaxed, and this was perceived as "danger".

The solution was to start taking a very small dose of an anti depressant, which mildly literary calms the nerves. I use Mianserin, the lowest dose. Sarotex is normally used, but I built a tolerance, and had to change.

Best Answer
0 Votes