Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrosion on charger pins

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Has anyone else experience corrosion on the charging cable pins? Kinda crusty like when a battery leaks or goes bad?
Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

Welcome to the Community @ChrissyV! Oh! so it seems that the contacts on your Fitbit Surge are getting dirty. Let me ask you something, are you still able to charge it? In case you can't, let me suggest you to follow the steps below: 

• Dirty charging contacts. Try cleaning them using the instructions in How do I clean my tracker?
  • Faulty charging sources (USB port or plug) Try a different USB port or UL-certified wall charger. Do not use a USB hub.
  • Tracker isn't connected to the charger Try reconnecting your tracker to the charging cable. If your tracker has a display, you'll see a battery icon while it's charging. Fitbit Flex lights up while charging. I
  • Firmware is outdated. Try updating your tracker using the instructions in How do I update my tracker?
  • A defective tracker. Try restarting it using the instructions in How do I restart my tracker?

Let me know how it goes! Smiley Very Happy 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I've had this happen with My Fitbit Blaze charger. Corrosion started to seep from one of the pins, and then a few weeks later it stopped working entirely. I tried cleaning and running alcohol, but the corrosion was back within a few days. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, @BayssMekaniqueWoman Very Happy It is nice to see you around. In this case, make sure you are constantly cleaning your tracker as our friend, @HeydyF suggested and also that you are drying it after a workout or the end of the day. After you wash your hands and if it gets a little wet as well. 

This should not be happening if you are taking good care of it. If you see there is battery linking or any other abnormal behavior that might be dangerous to you, please get in contact with our Customer Support team and stop wearing the device immediately. 

Please let me know how it goes! 

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

@SolangeE, the issue is not the actual Blaze, but with the charger.  I opened up my charger after it stopped working entirely and the inside was covered in corrosion and there appeared to be a section of the glue which had melted away.  It's really not worth the hassle of going through support to get it replaced, but you should probably forward this on to your engineers.  (This charger is about 6 months old)

IMG_20161217_115711.jpg

Best Answer

Good morning @BayssMekanique! Thanks for the clarification and the picture. That's a pretty weird thing what happened to that charger. I really appreciate your feedback. If you let me I'd recommend getting in touch with Customer Support for two reasons. First to report the incident and second to review your options with them.  Also you might consider getting a charger in the Fitbit store since this tracker can be useful to you or any other person in case that you want to give it away. Smiley Wink

Hope to see you around in the community! Cat Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Similar issue here.  My guess is that the gold plating is of poor quality, was partially removed and allowed the corrosion of the underlying metal. I kept the charger in the bathroom which probably accelerated the issue.
18839275_10158716808700394_6178723320046051113_n[1].jpg

Best Answer

I ultimately stopped buying the fitbit brand charging cable and purchased a few from Amazon.  The clip style charger ended up being my personal favorite and has lasted significantly longer than the fitbit charger.

Best Answer

Hi, @azavalia@BayssMekaniqueRobot Happy Thanks for sharing your situation and the pictures with us. I would say that having the charger in the bathroom definitely had a huge impact on the corrosion as the this is a very humid place. 

The good news is that you can buy a new one as our good friend, @BayssMekanique said. You can choose either to buy it from our online store or other retailers as well. Whatever fits you better, just make sure to keep it in a safe and dry place. Man Wink

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your comment @SolangeE.  I do keep other chargers in the bathroom and don't corrode 😉 
It is not that we are helpless against corrosion 🙂 🙂 🙂  
I would love to see Fitbit to show some commitment for quality improvement 🙂 🙂

Best Answer

Hey, @azavalia! Thanks for your sharing your thoughts and feedback. This is important for us to improve in every way possible. 

See you around! Man Wink 

Best Answer

Yes, I just had the same thing happen. I've received a FedEx label from FitBit support andand w post again when/if the problem is resolved.

A device at this price point should never experience this issue. Suggestions by support to 'take better care' of the device are just ridiculous. If this was a disposable $9.99 item, I wouldn't care. 

It isn't.

Best Answer

Hi @LovinItAll, nice to see you on the Forums, welcome.

Thanks for the feedback, it's very important to us to have your thoughts in regards our product and your customer support interactions. Fitbit is always trying to provide great products and customer experience. Each scenario is different, but I think that you can use the option available according to your warranty information, as it was mentioned by our support team. 

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I want my money back! Leaked in the shower, you replaced with a watch with no band, box or paperwork waited 10 days for that, now, 4 days after receiving and trying for 4 days your site is down can't sign in or activate this watch! I want my money back this watch is junk, I paid over 200 dollars for this watch at Penny's in Nov. 

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @Rayseene, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community.

In regards to your inquiry about the option for a refund you can check our warranty information or check with the retailer in case that you still have your receipt, this information is usually located in the back of the it. I've also requested a case on your behalf so you can check with our team your options, they will give you a hand with this.

I'll be around! 

Best Answer

Hello, thanks for your reply, Fitbit finally sent me a so-called new replacement in a plain brown envelope, no box, no band, no paperwork, just the watch and guess what it does NOT work! I have no idea what to do now, The retailer ( PENNYS ) says it's on Fitbit, I bought this for my wife's birthday, $200.00 in Nov 2018 and here at the end of February 2019 and no working watch, but I have 2 mini paperweights!

Best Answer

Thanks for the update @Rayseene! In this case it's best to get back to our support team, since they will have to check this information in order to give you an option. Feel free write back or let me know if you need me to open a new ticket.

Thanks for your time!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I would like my money back very disappointed in your product that I spent $200 on..thank youSent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution smartphone
Best Answer

Hi @Rayseene, thanks for getting back. I've updated your case with the information that you provided today. They will give you the options that you have with Fitbit using your warranty information. I'll be around in case that you have questions about it. 

Thanks for your feedback. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

After having my first one for about 3 months, I had an issue with corrosion on my charger pins, my battery was charging as 100%, but then would be flat in an hour. Then it electrocuted me, which is where I finally accepted defeat. 

Company response was appalling, basically saying it wasn’t an issue and it couldn’t have electrocuted me. Replaced it at point of sale (only because I couldn’t afford something decent) and I’m now watching it like a hawk.  

Seems like a pretty obvious design flaw if the charge pins can corrode so quickly after purchase despite proper care. 

Best Answer
0 Votes