Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrosion on charger pins

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Has anyone else experience corrosion on the charging cable pins? Kinda crusty like when a battery leaks or goes bad?
Best Answer
31 REPLIES 31

I am on my third and final Fitbit product -- the proprietary connector seems to work consistently for a month or so, then sporadically -- a combination of corrosion and instability in the connection. For $150 or more, I need to be confident the thing will charge. It's a shame b/c otherwise I like the product -- but what a loser to have these highly specific chargers/connectors that are so easily damaged, for a sport product...

Best Answer

Yes. I have been using sodium peroxide as well 1Klear to keep pins clean. But am having trouble keeping charge end of cable on Surge fitbit. I think the detent springs on either side of plug are too worn to maintain solid contact with the Surge plug. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
They're junk!Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on my third or fourth fitbit. My favorite is the surge because of the lcd screen with large numbers. My Surge is at its end of life because sweat has eaten the gold contacts. Gold is very inert so I will be looking for contact less chargers from now on. Maybe the contacts could be in a less corrosive position. And/or have a cap that protects it.

20190910_165528.jpg

Best Answer

Gold contacts are very inert. More likely caused by arcing by connecting and disconnecting with the power on.

Best Answer
3rd or forth, bull**ahem**, their junk!Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 5G Evolution capable smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just plain junk!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@eraser339   Fitbit recommends cleaning the contacts with a soft toothbrush and rubbing alcohol.  It recommends rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab for the charging pins, making sure no cotton is left behind.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine looks like that, too, but it's 3 years old. I charge it when I'm in the shower. Moisten your finger with a few drops of water. Rub it on the contacts; no need to douse them. Then there's just enough moisture to help make a contact. I've replaced the charger cord once as the contacts get gunky and aren't as "springy" over time. Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly the samae here: corroded contact pins on my Surge.
Very bad design... I'm really disappointed.

For less than 1 dollar they could have been gold coated preventing the entire problem.
I'm gonna a buy a new smartwatch, but not a Fitbit anymore.

Are there any trackers on the market that charge wireless / contactless? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It might be due to arcing. When you remove the watch without turning the
power off. I suspect this because only the positive terminals are eroded.
My surge got wet because of excessive covid handwashing so I've upgraded to
Charge4 and always turn power on after watch connected.

Regards Gary
Best Answer
0 Votes

After several years of sweat, and whatever else, I have had increasing difficulty in getting my Charge 4 to charge.

Scrubbing with a brush, alcohol metal dental pick, contact cleaner have helped, but charging was still very unreliable.

Just recently discovered that the charging cable that came with the watch is fairly reliable! I have cables (purchased via Amazon) in different locations for convenience; quality of cheaper cables may have added to my woes!

I have been thinking about how to protect the contacts to avoid corrosion problem, as others suggested.

I just received a Charge 5. I plan to try tape or some form of goo to protect the contacts. I'll report back later how it how it goes. {I started considering the 5 because of the aforementioned problems. But I also was attracted by the color display, for improved readability, and by the expanded cardiac monitoring. I considered it when the sale price was $119, but then it jumped back up to $149. Yesterday afternoon there was an early black Friday price of $99 on Amazon.....with Prime shipping it arrived less than 24 hours after ordered. (Actually would have arrived last night!, but I messed up the order and didn't see the text message until 8pm when checking on the status of the order.)

Now I plan to order a stainless steel mesh wristband, as has been my standard for the last few Charges. Also will order screen protectors. I wonder if part of a screen protector might make a good contact protector?! I'll let you know after some experimentation. 

Best Answer
0 Votes