Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart Rate discrepancy between menu's

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

hi fitbit users, hoping someone can point me in the right direction on this....

I walk to work most mornings and the Surge usually logs this as an exercise. This morning, it showed a large spike in my heartrate, touching 187bpm at a couple of points (for a walk?!!?) which then gave me a very large calorie burn on the tracker.

However, when I looked in the heart rate menu for same time, I dont see my heart rate going over 159 at all.

Anyone know why there is a discrepancy here? Is the exercise menu looking at shorter intervals between recording measurements?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

I might be wrong but I think if you are using the auto track as opposed to the GPS the heartrate is averaged over 5 seconds on the graph and over 1 second on GPS. So the higher reading may not show as you have found.

Also...why the spike? Is it a genuine one - like a sudden huge burst of energy needed? Otherwise..it shouldnt be doing that..the Surge of your heart !!

Oh, re: above, I found if you tighten the strap for an exercise is gives less dodgy spikes like that one..probably something to do with light getting under the band and affecting the efficiency of the LED's..

Best Answer
0 Votes

Cant explain the heart rate spike to be honest, I see this the odd time with the surge - a random jump in the heart rate for a very short period, I assume its a misreading! Tighter strap might be the way to go - cheers!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@darylcarolan wrote:

Cant explain the heart rate spike to be honest, I see this the odd time with the surge - a random jump in the heart rate for a very short period, I assume its a misreading! Tighter strap might be the way to go - cheers!

I have occasionally noticed a spike mid-run; most of the time I remember adjusting the position of my Surge right about the point when the spike occurred.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have owned 2 Surges and they are consistently highly inaccurate for sports training. At most this is a nice gadget to give you the exact time.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community @darylcarolan@Gerardklein it's great to see you around @Chris1963@shipo thanks for stopping by and for the information. If your Surge are not being accurate, I recommend restarting them by following @MeylinP's instructions. Also, keep in mind that Heart rate reading varies depending on several factors like movement, temperature, humidity, stress level, physical body position, caffeine intake, and medication. If you haven't already done so, please review this post where @MatthewFitbit is providing good information about the heart rate accurateIf your heart rate monitor seems broken or inaccurate after taking the recommendations into account, feel free to contact our support team. For a faster response you can contact them via chat or phone. 

Catch you later. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes