Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Step Count

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I am using surge for the last 6 months now. I see the step count to be ~30% lower than the actual steps taken for 1 KM, (~800 v/s the 1148 counted steps) during brisk walking. The count is almost accurate for normal pace walk. Can you please let me know who to fix this or provide a fix.

I googled up for help, but did not find anything.. my walking style is normal 🙂

Thanks. 

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Thanks for popping by the forums @RameshpWoman Happy

Wow 30% lower than the actual steps taken is a lot, thanks for that information and for the research that you already did to try to solve this issue. Please let's help your little buddy by restarting it once or twice. Then follow the accuracy test steps, so we can verify how is this working. Robot Happy

1. Put your Surge on your.
2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
3. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

If your tracker counted less than 100 steps or more than 100, please let us know and we'll see if we can investigate further. Sometimes, when you start walking you may notice that your steps may not update on your tracker right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps, you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real-time with each step you take.

It's important to specify whether you wear the tracker on your dominant or non-dominant wrist, please check the recommendations about choosing the correct Handedness.

I'll be around, let me know how this works! Woman Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seriously? @YojanaFitbit ? There are literally hundreds of posts going back three years regarding this exact problem. Undercounting of steps by ~ 30%, particularly when walking vs running. There are over 200 replies in this thread alone. https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/Surge-Step-Count-Accuracy/td-p/671630 

User experience and experiments seem to (generally) agree that the Surge does a significantly better job of counting running strides over walking strides. Arm swing as a variable seems to impact this. Many Surge users regularly put their Surges in their pockets on long walks to minimize the undercounting. That the issue has never been fixed or even openly addressed is annoying. To see an official response of "Wow 30% lower than the actual steps taken is a lot..." when others have been saying exactly that for three years is infuriating.     

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @Barbotus! Sorry to hear that you feel that way about my comment. Are you having same issues with yours? I'm very interested in helping you out with this in case that you do.

Please keep me posted!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there; my Fitbit tells me I have completed over 10000 steps (even vibrates to give me a heads-up at the 10000 step mark) but when I go into my log, it shows significantly less - as much as six thousand fewer steps!  What do I need to do?

Best Answer

Hi @JRoo! Please receive a warm welcome to the Fitbit Family! It's great to see you participating in our Community! Smiley Happy

Congrats on your 10,000 steps! If your Dashboard is not showing the correct amount of steps just make sure that you don't have any manually log activity at that time and double check that your Surge is syncing. You can follow these steps in case you notice it is not connecting. 

Happy stepping! Heart

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the reply.  I do not have manually entered activity and the sync is being performed without issue. The Fitbit displays as one number and the log on the dashboard, after syncing, reads something substantially less. Please advise 

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @JRooCat Happy Thanks a million for confirming that information. Another reason that might causing this is if you have another tracker pair to your account or if you're using MobileTrack in your phone. That might be causing this strange behavior in your Fitbit.

But if you're not using any of those options, please restart your tracker and give it a try today to see how it goes! In case that this doesn't help let me know so we can check the next step.

Have a good one! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
I restarted the Fitbit. Now it doesn't sync at all.
Best Answer

Oh wow! Thant's not the expected behavior of the Fitbit Surge! Tha Robot surprised

Thanks for trying that. I'd suggest taking a look of these these steps to connect your Fitbit with your account. Make sure your device is running the latest software version. Leave the Fitbit charging while you perform all the steps.

Please keep me posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@YojanaFitbit im having a problem with my fitbit ionic and nobody can really give me a real solution. its not tracking steps or heart rate. i did the 100 steps trouble shooting and nothing. i will walk 100 steps and it might count 5 steps on my watch also my watch syncs fine with my phone and records the steps when it actually tracks, so after 100 steps my watch will say 5 and so will my phone. i really need help resolving this please and thank you!

Best Answer