Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Surge 2 being produced with waterproof capability

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there, 

I currently have a Charge HR which I think is great, but it's looking a bit outdated.

Both the Charge and Flex have been updated to v2 products and the Flex in particular interests me as I can finally track swims!

One thing that I can see me purchasing, if it is due to exist soon, is a newer version of Surge, which can have an analogue style watch face (similar to the new Withings Steel HR), and can track both water activities (swimming, water polo, etc) and land activities (football, rugby, running, gym etc). 

I was wondering how near or far on the Fitbit roadmap this was, if anyone knew?

Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

Hi @Suechoc! Thanks for getting back! If you want me to request a case for you to check your warranty options, please let me know. You can check with them directly if you wish. Sorry that those steps didn't help your little buddy, but it's always good to know your options.

Please keep me posted! Cat Happy 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

We are trying to wait for some sort of lead or target date for release of a Surge 2. Many of us are considering changing brand due to lack of anticipated release date for a newer, better (waterPROOF) Surge.

Also I've read many coments about an issue that is developing with my Surge. My band is tearing and there's no way to replace it when it completely tears. This needs to be addressed in any new iteration of the Surge. 

Best Answer

Hi Mike13467. If you want to replace the band you can go to Amazon search "Surge band replacement." for about $20 USD plus shipping you can get an aftermarket replacement. YouTube has videos on how to. I myself am moving  after my fourth and final Surge (and its warranty replacements) expire. Good luck!

Moderator edit: Word Choice

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer

Hi @VF31AE3, nice to see you here again. @Mike13467 Welcome to the Forums! Thanks guys for sharing your feedback and tips, it's of great help.

Sorry about your Surge band @Mike13467. We strive for excellent customer service, and customer satisfaction remains our number one goal; we're always trying to get better options for you. I invite you to stay tune, we don't have information about new trackers; but new releases are usually announced in the Fitbit.com Official pagePlease keep an eye in your email inbox, you'll get some information about your case.

Please let me know if you need anything else! Cat Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I wish fitbit would at least announce that they will plan on releasing a predecessor to the surge. I've had my surge for about 2 years its starting to die out on me. I tried buying a new replacement using a 25% discount given to me directly from fitbit, but Fitbit doesn't stock the surge in large and black anymore, I was told by fitbit customer support that they are not sure if they will manufacture that anymore. I can't spend the full amount at a retail store, it's not worth it anymore, I rather spend that amount of money on a newer, better tracker from a competitor like Garmin. I haven't done so because I really like the fitbit community, the challenges etc. But if my surge dies soon I will be left with no option but to go to garmin. I need a tracker with gps, the other fitbits just don't cut it for me. If I may suggest, it would be wise to at least tell us if there is something in the works before we do the switch to your competitors. 

Best Answer

Hi @joser85I'm glad to see you here in the Forums, your comments are very important for us! Heart

I felt touched by your comment, I can tell when I see a truly Fitbit Fan. I totally understand where you coming from and I'd like to give you a hint or some information related to new releases, but Fitbit usually announces this in the Fitbit.com Official page; when they have all the details to share with all Fitbitters. I wouldn't like to give you any false expectations in regards a new trackers, but if you allow me I'd recommend Fitbit Charge 2 or Fitbit Blaze. They might be a good option for your if you have a compatible device to use Connected GPS. 

This is just a piece of advice, but feel free to take any decision that you have in order to keep up with your workouts, keep focus on your final goal since your pic shows the type of athlete you're and Fitbit main goal is motivate you!

I'll be around if you need anything else! Woman Wink

Best Answer

I have just seen the Nokia / Withings Steel HR. It is available from Fall 2017, is stylish, has from what I can see all the functionality my Charge HR has, and is water resistant up to 50m. 

I've waited long enough. If Fitbit can't produce something like this that I've waited nearly a year for, I hwill sell my multiple Fitbit devices, close my subscriptions to their services and will have no alternative to move. 

You have until that watch gets to market to come up with a real alternative to it. Otherwise sadly I'll have no alternative but to jump ship. I've been one of your fans for a very long time, but sadly there isn't enough to keep me here.

Best Answer

After looking into a new watch, the Garmin Fenix 5 has my full attention right now. It has so many features that would be incredibly useful to me. I wish fitbit would release something equivalent to Fenix 5. Fitbit has to really step up their game, they need waterproof, GPS, cadence, stride length, lactate threshold, interchangeable wristbands. Fitbit has a long way to go, I'm starting to think that fitbit has no interest in supplying to the more serious athletes. I hate to say it but the surge is not fit enough for triathlons, ultra marathons, trail races, it falls short. I really feel that fitbit is not in that kind of market. From a business point of view, it might be more cheaper for them to offer step counters than to offer premium $500+ gps/waterproof trackers. I hope I'm wrong and we "SOON" see a new fitbit watch to compete with the big boys. 

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner and @joser85! Nice to see you here again! Really nice information, I think that is always good to have options. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here. 

We also check constantly our Feature Suggestions board to see new suggestions and users' requests. If you haven't do so, you might place your votes on suggestions for features that you would like to have. This is the best way to make your voice heard!

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Thanks @YojanaFitbit 

I did put something similar up on the feature discussion board about a year ago. Although it was well received so far no news.

Can I just say whatever my grumbles with Fitbit at the moment, you have always been very courteous and kind when dealing with responses. Its just very frustrating from our end because if we had the choice we would rather stay with Fitbit, however it seems that the company doesn't seem to be as ahead of the curve as it was.

Thanks again

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner, hope you're doing great! It's okay, I totally understand where you coming from the thing is that sometimes updates or changes for specific features are very simple and other times it takes more time to develop. However, I wouldn't like giving you any false expectations or misleading info. We know that this is something that our users need and want, that's why our devs and engineers are always reviewing the Feature Suggestion board.

As mentioned before I will definitely pass all this feedback along to our team; we do take all of your feedback seriously. Thanks for sharing! Woman Very Happy

Stay positive, attitude is everything! See you around! Heart

Best Answer

I have had the Surge since release, (1 Warranty replacement because of the back of the band tearing a bit near the screws) I am like you where I love the fitbit eco system (I own the fitbit scale as well), but I am starting to get a bit impatient waiting to see if they are coming out with a serious fitness watch or even a basic upgrade to the Surge. I have been looking at Garmin's again I had a forerunner which was awesome till the wrist strap tore and the repair for it was over 60/70$. I would hate to purchase another Surge with it being close to a Surge 2 release but man it gets frustrating not getting any info for 2 years now on features/upgrades to the flagship fitness watch from a fitness tracking company.

Best Answer

Hi @b2Squared, it's great to have you here! Cat Happy

I really appreciate your time posting your thoughts and comments about what you expect from Fitbit. I've also checked your comment in our Feature Suggestion board about this request: Fitbit Surge 2! You have excellent ideas, I can tell that you are a real fan of Fitbit. The reason why you don't have any information about new products is that Fitbit usually post this information until product is ready to be in the stores, and by now we don't have any information about it. 

As soon as we have any information about new product will be glad to post it here in the Forums!

Have a good one! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have had the Surge since its release. I would buy a 2 generation of Surge, hopefully with a clearer display.

Best Answer

YojanaFitbit wrote: 
The reason why you don't have any information about new products is that Fitbit usually post this information until product is ready to be in the stores,

This is not entirely true!
Information about the Flex2 was available before Fitbit released it!  And when asked, the people at Fitbit denied it's existenceWoman Frustrated

As others have said, it is a shame that Fitbit doesn't at least give us a hint as to improvements for their devices!  I would venture to say that many, if not most of us would be willing to wait a while if we knew that a revised, or new product was coming to market in the near future!
Of all the wearables on the market, Fitbit is the only company not advising users of revised or new product roll-out.
Why?

Having said that...recently, my almost two year old Surge began to fail in ways that Fitbit couldn't understand, and my device was replaced...for which I am grateful, and commend Fitbit on the excellent support, and customer service I received.
However, unless Fitbit stops playing ridiculous games with regards to revised, or new products, I will change to another manufacturer when my Surge dies!

Belle
Best Answer

My surge continues to die slowly and there is nothing I can do, the battery only last 2 days max and the charging port is very worn out to the point I have to play with the charging cable until its charging. I don't believe my surge will live to see August... Hopefully Fitbit has something by then, otherwise, I'm getting another watch from a different manufacture. I would hate to do that, but Fitbit leaves me with no other choice. I don't understand why Fitbit won't make an announcement about a new surge 2 or a new model, I truly don't understand their strategy. Fitbit, is willing to let customer move to another manufacturer? I'm sorry but that is not a very wise move. 

Best Answer

My wife finally gave up on Fitbit and moved on from her Surge. Her first one lasted about 8 months before the band broke. Fitbit replaced it and the second one lasted about the same. We refused to spend that kind of money again on a tracker that lasts less than a year. She switched to a Motorola and loves it. The step counter is a lot more accurate. 

I have a Charge HR that had to be replaced after 6 months, I am currently on my second that just broke. My daughter had a Charge HR that lasted about 9 months, got replaced and the second one lasted about 6 months. She now has a Charge 2. My mother in laws Charge HR lasted about 10 months, her replacement lasted about 8 months. She now owns a different brand.   Another friend i have is on her second Surge which is now breaking.  Without a replacement for the Surge we are all changing brands. I am ordering a Samsung Gear S3 Classic this week.

Fitbit really failed on the execution of the Surge and is losing a lot of customers by waiting so long to replace it.

Best Answer

Update, my surge gave out on the first week of August. I was forced to buy another watch, so I went with the Garmin Fenix 5. I didn't like making the move, but it was a great decision. The Garmin is ages ahead of Fitbit. Granted the Fitbit pushed me into getting a fitness watch for my workouts, but it was time to step it up. Fitbit just wasn't enough anymore, sorry Fitbit, but I really would of wanted to see and have a better fitness watch from you guys. Maybe in the future when my Garmin gives out, who knows. I wish everyone the best with their Fitbit. Best regards.

Best Answer