Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only my steps are missing after syncing my Surge

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I did a treadmill run and the Surge synced, but it only synced minutes and miles, not steps. But if I go to the activities tab, it is showing the steps. I do also have a One, which I usually wear along with the Surge when I workout, but today I took it off. The step count that is showing on the dashboard and the Surge are about what the steps were when I took the One off. I've tried turning Bluetooth off and on and doing a shutdown and restart (including holding down the 2 buttons) on the Surge several times. I tried syncing via the Windows 10 app, as that has sometimes fixed it in the past, but so far nothing has updated the step count. But as I said, it is showing the steps in the Treadmill activity record and it did record the active minutes and miles. But since I'm in a challenge, I am now in last place since it just lost several thousand steps.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi there @jbrassard! Is nice to see you around, hope you're enjoying your workout routines with Fitbit! Cat Very Happy

Challenges are great way to stay motivated! Thanks for sharing all those details about the issue you're having. You mentioned that you can see the Treadmill activity but not all the data was there right! For a better view of your stats would you mind checking your Fitbit.com Dashboard in the computer or in your phone browser? Once you're logged in, click on "Log" and choose "Activities", you will see the option to see yesterday information. Down below there is the Activity History of the past days showing: steps, distance, duration and calories. 

Please check if the activity appears there and compare the information with your overall steps for the day. I would advise to use your Surge when you're in a Challenge and sync it right away. Is this the first time that it happens to you? If you notice that your Fitbit App on the phone is not showing the same data that on the on the Fitbit.com Dashboard let me know.

I'll be around! Woman Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The problem is not in the treadmill activity - that is showing all of the
information - steps, time, distance, etc under impact on your day. The
dashboard however, only picked up the distance and active minutes. It did
not pick up the number of steps from the activity.
Best Answer

Hello @jbrassard! Thanks for getting back to me! Smiley Happy

Wow, that's odd! Would you mind providing an screenshot of the information that you have there? If you can take an screenshot of the Fitbit.com Dashboard too, it would be great! As I told you, once you're logged in, click on "Log" and choose "Activities", you will see the option to see yesterday information. Down below there is the Activity History of the past days showing: steps, distance, duration and calories. 

This is not an usual behavior of the Fitbit Surge, please take a time to do so. I'm very interested in helping you out with this. Woman Embarassed

I'll be waiting for your information! 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

This is the screenshot of the activity log for the actual treadmill activity
that occurred.

fitbit1.jpg

This is the manual entry I had to add to get the steps to show up on the
dashboard (note that I entered it as starting at the same time as the actual
activity):
fitbit2.jpg

This is the dashboard with the manually entered activity:

fitbit3.jpg

This is the dashboard if I delete the manually entered activity:

fitbit4.jpg

Best Answer

Hi @jbrassard! I really appreciate the time that you took in order to gather this information! Cat Happy

That's really odd. Is this the first time that this happens to you? I'm checking with our team if we have more information about it, thanks a million for the feedback. Robot Embarassed

I'd like to know if you're getting the same readings, if you open the Dashboard from a mobile device using the Fitbit App. Or if it's only the Dashboard online the one that is not showing all your stats. This information will help us to develop a possible fix for the issue.

Thanks for your patience and your participation! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
It shows that way across all my devices - mobile, PC, and iPad. And it is
the first time it has happened, however, I usually leave my One on while I
workout and use the Surge only during workouts and sleep. This particular
day, I took the One off, so I'm not sure if the Surge always has this issue
and just didn't notice it because the One is tracking the steps, or what.
I've thought about trying it again, but even when I manually add the
activity to get the steps there, those do not show up in my challenges or
friends ranking list, so I really don't want another workout not tracking.
Best Answer

Hi @jbrassard! Thanks for getting back to me that quickly with all those details! Cat Happy

After checking with the Team we agreed in checking with you in a couple of days, since this is the first time that you see this behavior from your Surge; it might be that it was just an isolated issue for that day.  Your account looks fine as of right now.

As a piece of advise, in the future avoid deleting activities in case that you did so that day, because it could have caused the discrepancy you were seeing there. Keep tracking your steps as usual and keep me posted on any similar issue.

I'll be around! Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only activities I deleted were the manual ones I was adding to try to get the step count to show up properly. It took a few times to get it close to what it should have been.

The only way I'm going to know if this is the Surge is to not wear the One the next time I workout. Perhaps I'll just do a short test and then end the activity and see if it registers the steps, instead of doing the whole activity and losing credit for it. Like I said, adding the manual activity put the steps onto the dashboard, but it did not add them into my daily step count vs friends step counts nor did it count the manual entries towards challenges I was enrolled in.

Best Answer

Hi @jbrassard, thanks for clarifying your point and take a moment of your day to reply! Woman Happy

Got it! And I understand your grievance about your missing data, since you're doing a excellent job there. But manually log activities are not taking into consideration to the Leaderboard or Challenges. Sorry about this! Nevertheless, I would like to encourage you to keep using your Surge, so we can further investigate and check if we need to do something else.

Once again thanks for sharing! I'll be around in case that you need anything else! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think I have a similar problem.  I usually run late in the day and my total steps are shown as a combo of a "Run" and "Sport" on the log.  The total seems to be correct on the dashboard however.  Some days the "sport" shows with the "run" line but not all times.  On May 19 I my total doesn't show -- just the run.

-Bob

LogSnip20170520.JPG

Best Answer

Hi @ash2jam, it's nice to see you here in the Forums! Hope you're doing great enjoying your afternoon workouts. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks a million for attaching the screenshot of your activities, that's really helpful! All "Run" activities that you can see there are being tracked by the MultiSport option on your Surge which I think is the best option for this activity. Now, the "Sport" activities, which have a little pencil to edit; are being tracked by SmartTrack (automatic detection). Are you performing another activity beside running? Cat Frustrated

So, I suggest to perform the restart on your Surge a couple of times to make sure SmartTrack is working fine, if you want to keep using it. Also, make sure that you're starting and finishing your run activities manually on your Surge to have a better record of your Activity History. 

Keep doing a good job and congratulations on your stats! I'll be around if you have further questions! Woman Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes