Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Fitbit trackers count steps based on two main factors: fi...

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought an ionic fitbit to help me train for a 60 mile hike that I will do in September. This week I started walking with my fully loaded backpack to get use to the weight. Ion Monday and Wednesday I walked 4.5 miles from my home around a lake that is 3.5 miles then back home. I wear my fitbit on my dominant left hand and also walk with a hiking staff. When I go home it only recorder about one mile of my 4.5 mile hike. This totally contradicts what you say about feeling the impact of my steps through my body. How do I get this to work so it counts all my steps? I am doing a 60 mile hike on the AT in September and I want to count to count all my steps. That is why I bought this.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @HitTheRoadJack

Your post is in the thread about step accuracy, but it is about accuracy with distance, not steps. To keep from further by racking I've moved your post. 

Since you have a Surge .what does the map of your hike look like? 

When it comes to hiking poles, these tend to cause the arm to not swing naturally and some steps may be lost. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I missed 3.5 mimes of a 4.5 mile hike, that is more them missing a few steps.

I walked with a 4 foot stall on Monday and last night.

When I do my hike in September I will be using to hiking poles.

I will be walking from Grafton Main state park to Pinkham Notch (60 miles), I would like to track all of my steps
Best Answer
0 Votes

Distance with the Surge may be calculated in one of two ways. 

If GPS is enabled, then GPS should be used to calculate the distance, not steps. 

If your asking a out step count accuracy we need to verify step count. This may be done by going on a hike and physically counting your steps. Then compare your count with the step count the tracker recorded. 

While distance may be affected by the step count, it may also be affected by the stride setting or whether the tracker was able to obtain a good gps lock v

Best Answer
0 Votes