Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rowing Distance Calculation with Surge

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Distance calculation is useless when sculling given distance is calculated using stride length. I switched from the Charge HR to the Surge for the embedded GPS functionality. It does not provide a accurate distance reading, although path tracking is accurate. Distance calculation is off by 50%-70%. GPS is the only accurate way to calculate distance. Why is FitBit not more sophisticated in distanced calculation? Please convert distance calculation using precise distance GPS data. Charge HR has automatic stride calculation. I have been complaining about this to tech support for almost 2 years. Speaking as an electrical engineer this should be a "no brainer". 

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hi there @Sansumototake! I'm glad to see you here in the Forums, good to know that you've been with us from the past 2 years! Woman Wink

I understand your concern about the stats that you're getting, but just to have a little bit of background; I'd like to clarify that all trackers were desinged to track step based routines, even when using GPS functionality (e.g. walk, run, golf, hike). You can try the restart on your Surge and follow some tips while using GPS function, but you won't get the same accuracy as if you were running or walking. 

That's we advise user to manually enter those types of activities, by tapping on the tile " Track exercise" then look for the stop watch In the upper right corner, tap on "Log Previous", it will take you to a different screen where you can type "Rowing". Smiley Embarassed

You can add your vote for this feature here: Rowing + GPS.The more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

I'll be around! Smiley Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The HR calculated distance correctly when rowing. It also auto adjusted to stride length if I recall correctly.

Surge should be a step up in functionality, not a step down.

Also, my band is now pulling apart at the edge of the tracker. It will shortly be completely opened at the seam on one side of the tracker.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Sansumototake, Thanks for getting back to give the feedback or the Fitbit Surge functionality. Robot Happy

Thanks for this information, since this sounds a bit more serious, I've created a Support Case on your behalf. You should soon receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

Let me know if you need further help! Smiley Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes