Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snowshoeing as an activity

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I read that snowshoeing was one of the most common activities but it's not listed in the exercises as an option to select??  I have been selecting hiking when doing my snowshoeing but feel this will not accurately calculate the calories burned.  Can this be added somehow?

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi @KimberlyH

On the Surge it's possible to choose the activity 'workout', this can be used for any activity.. and uses your heart rate for a estimation of calories burned.

Feel free to add your suggestions to the 'Feature Requests' Sub Forum, where users can vote, add comments,.. if there's a certain interest then there's a chance the developers pick it up and it'll be developed.

Tip: Search if the idea already has been suggested and add your vote / comment! Smiley Wink

Feature Suggestions

URL: Click to go to the Feature Requests Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Feel free to add this suggestion to the Feature Request forum.  You might like to have a look at the suggestion for adding cross country skiing, a similar activity.  Here's the link: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Cross-country-skiing/idi-p/920881

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

This does not use the GPS function though

Best Answer
I appreciate that. Many of the commenters on the Feature Request I have linked to make that very point.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went on a snowshoeing hike on Friday and the results were satisfactory.  I used the "Hike" setting for an activity.  The GPS map and tracking were very accurate.  Since receiving my Surge for Xmas, I have been aware of the "gripes" on it.  As a result, I use a Garmin 305 to double-check the readings on the Surge.  The heartrate between the Surge and the Garmin varied considerably.  I believe the Surge was actually more accurate than the Garmin on the snowshoe hike.  One thing I have discovered is that by wearing the Surge on the inside of my wrist (with the sensor against my pulse) I obtain more accurate heartrate readings.  I did this once while indoor cycling with both devices and the heartrates were nearly identicle the entire time.  With the Surge worn on the outside of the wrist while indoor cycling, the heartrate reading is worthless compared to the Garmin 305.  Surge product developers take note!

Best Answer
Thanks, I feel the heart rate seems good but when I run on the treadmill for an hour and barely break a sweet I burn 408 cal. and when I did the 2 hour snowshoe very fast and climbing a fair amount of hills it only calculated 644 cal. burned.....I guess that why I feel that it's not accurate enough.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I am still working on getting an accurate heartrate. Last night during a workout the Surge lagged several minutes behind my chest-strap style heart monitor.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello there @Dmk55343 and @KimberlyH! Thanks so much for submitting your vote to get this activity available on your Surge. While you wait for a response, you can  manually log your activity on your Dashboard. If the activity is not included on the list, you can create it, you only need to click on this link.  

@Julia_G and @SunsetRunner thank you for your participation. 

Good luck! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KimberlyH wrote:

I read that snowshoeing was one of the most common activities but it's not listed in the exercises as an option to select??  I have been selecting hiking when doing my snowshoeing but feel this will not accurately calculate the calories burned.  Can this be added somehow?

I select 'Hike' as well when I snowshoe and don't feel it accurately records the calories burned.  For example I was out today for 40 minutes treading through 6 to 8 inches of freshly fallen snow .. it was a workout indeed!  My heartrate was pretty accurate but my Fitbit Blaze only registered a 254 calorie burn.  I input the trek in My Fitness Pal and think the 413 it showed was more realistic.  I really love my Blaze but would even more if Fitbit would add the ability to customize the trackable exercises or add more common exercises to the list.  For now, I use my tracker while on the trail but delete it later after I put the activity into MFP any sync it.  It's a little annoying having to do this but I think it is more accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I want a setting for snowshoeing too. 5+ months out of the year I snowshoe 4x's a week, sometimes 5x's.Where can I put my vote in for this. I'd love it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I snowshoe 4-5x's a week. November to May. Please add that to Fitbit training.

Best Answer
0 Votes