Add Skiing/skating to Activities

Why is there no skiing activity to the activity list on device??? With GPS its a great platform to track runs. Please add soon.

643 Comments
leuschke
First Steps

Lots of winter exercise activities exist for the Flex (skiing, snowshoeing, etc.) but no snowboarding yet! It would be great to have that on there, too.

Best3175
First Steps

Should be able to enter exercise mode of downhill skiing for the day. The altimeter should be able to detect when riding the lift up and when skiing down. Heart rate monitor should be able estimate calories burned.

Moderator edit: Added lables

Nutrifit
First Steps

Mine seemed to count riding the chair lift as floors climbed. Both steps and floors were insanely high for my day spent at the hill. 

sa_zu
Recovery Runner

no skiing on surge!

AlexWesterman
Jogger

I just got back from a ski trip and wished my FitBit included skiing as an activity. As a work around I used the Hike feature which did a great job tracking overall terrain stats but obviously no specifics around runs, speed, distance/vertical and etc. 

Here are the features I'd like to see in this request:

• Run-by-run analysis
    • Comprehensive Ski Stats and Graphs
    • Preview ski day on phone or using Google Earth
    • Speed data
    • Ski Distance
    • Ski Vertical
    • Altitude
    • Run Totals
    • Duration of ski day

I'd like to see this for both downhill/alpine skiing and also Cross Country skiing.

I'm hoping to see this feature in an OS update to my Surge soon!

Moderator Edit: Labels

paralee
First Steps

Seems crazy that snowboarding made it onto the Fitbit weathermap, yet you can't choose it from the activities list. Please add it so us mountain folk can log our activities more accurately!

dbolden
Runner

I ski a couple of time per week December through March.  This would be a REALLY great feature.

rbj
First Steps
There are thousands people doing cross country skiing. It can some places be done all year.
Please make a exercise for skiing.
oleda
Jogger

Cross country skiing is one of the most popular winter activities in Norway. You need to add this exercise before the winter. 

PaulCChord
First Steps

I love to ski. The altimeter could track vertical feet skied in a day. And GPS could track your routes on the mountain. Winter sports count too!!!!

Status changed to: Released
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@oleda I'm very happy to inform you that this activity has been added to the Dashboard activities, so you can manually log it. Go to your Activity Log and give it a try.

Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum. Thanks!

oleda
Jogger
Hi,
Does this mean that i can start the activity directly from my Fitbit Surge ? I would really like this options, not only log the activity when I’m finished skiing.

Regrds
Ole
dsf55
Jogger

I have a surge - is it possible, or will it be possible, to add it to the other gps enabled excercises?  It would seem to be a no-brainer as running, hiking and biking are already enabled.

Thanks

roketmn
Recovery Runner

the information required for a cross country skiing mode is currently recorded on the surge. please invest in the algorythim development to create a selectable exercise to record cross country skiing that takes into accont distance altitude change and heart rate to estimate caloric burn ect.

oleda
Jogger
Hi,
Im sorry, i dont understand. I can’t fint this on my surge. Please tell me how to use this ?

Ole
roketmn
Recovery Runner
no one can they haven't programed the cross coutry skiing exercise function yet
oleda
Jogger

Hi,

What do you men by "please add a device selectable mode for cross country skiing" ?

roketmn
Recovery Runner
on the exercise mode, a cross country ski exercise, selectable on the surge device
jeanmat
First Steps

Totally agree, I would love to see skiing, a lot of apps do that very well on the iphone and I really miss those features on the Surge...

Thanks for the Hike workaround idea

LektorHansen
First Steps

I sure would like the possiblity to start tracking my ski training (cross country skiiing) from my Surge, I was quite shocked that it wasnt possible. The manual option are really not an option.

Status changed to: New
FerdinandFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi there @Best3175. Thanks for sharing this suggestion with us. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will find it useful! 

Mountaingirl196
First Steps
Another vote for adding XC skiing direct from the tracker, as opposed to manual logging. Thank you.
ljking2
First Steps

I will have to try the hike workaround this weekend, we'll be on the hill both days.  I was very happy when the biking activity came out last spring and if fitbit could follow that up with a skiing activity now as ski season begins I would be in heaven.

Thx!

StofferDK
Stepping Up

I could do with less, but at least a skiing option would be very userfull. When skiing you often move without taking steps per se. Would be great if a cross country tracker could identify walking uphill, skating, classic style and downhill gliding with or without using the poles.

Thanks from Denmark - soon going cross country skiing in the Norwegian mountains

skiingdoc
Jogger

It is a shame that Fitrbit doesn't record downhil skiing - enabling it to record skiing would be great.  Alternatively if it could link with some of the dedicated ski apps that would be an equally good alternative. Ski Tracks is a great application that many skiiers use

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.