Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Step count decreased

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I went out for a walk this evening and when I got home my step count 16,977. I know this because I have a screenshot of it. I have just looked at my surge again and my step count is now 14,378 so I've just lost 2,599 steps. I'm doing a daily challenge with a couple of my friends so my step count is pretty important to me. Has anyone experienced this / knows why this would have happened?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @FiMac, I believe it could be the Strava app.  If you have logged a run or bike ride in Strava that is not the same as what your Fitbit detected during the same time frame, your Strava import will behave exactly like a manual log: it will overwrite the steps your Fitbit detected during the same time period. 

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
12 REPLIES 12

Hi, @FiMac, the most usual reason for this happening is if you have more than 1 Fitbit attached to your account and BOTH Fitbits did not completely sync before you switched between the two.  

The other possibility is if you manually logged any activity.  A manual log will overwrite what your Fitbit detects during the same time period.  Deleting the manual log will restore your steps.

Could either of these situations explain what you have seen?

Welcome to the forums!

Best Answer

Hi @FiMac, we are very happy to have you as a part of our family! Cat Happy

Thanks for posting your inquiry here! As @Julia_G mentioned, please check those details since it might be affecting your total amount of steps after syncing.  Are you using MobileTrack? This could be affecting your steps too.

In the meantime, please restart your Surge in case that it is having hardware issues and keep tracking your steps, as you usually do. I'll be waiting for your response.

See you around.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Thanks for your responses @Julia_G and @YojanaFitbit I only have one Fitbit, so that's not the issue and I didn't manually log my activity. This has happened a couple of times over the last couple of days. I have restarted it, so will keep my eye on my steps over the next few days. I sometimes use Strava to log my activity which is linked to my Fitbit account and have done so on one occasion where my steps decreased. The other time I was using the Fitbit walk app. 

Best Answer

Hi, @FiMac, I believe it could be the Strava app.  If you have logged a run or bike ride in Strava that is not the same as what your Fitbit detected during the same time frame, your Strava import will behave exactly like a manual log: it will overwrite the steps your Fitbit detected during the same time period. 

Best Answer

Thanks for replying @FiMac! I'm glad to know that this mystery was result! Thanks a million @Julia_G, as usually you're of great help! Cat Very Happy

Marking posts as solutions is a great way of thanking another community member, while also highlighting their solution; so that it may be discovered more easily by other community member's facing the same questions or issues as you. Thanks for that! Heart

Have you checked our Discussions board? If you're into Fitbit and fitness you may enjoy other users' comments. Check this board  Looking for Fitbit Friends? Find some here! And have some fun interacting with other users! 

Keep stepping around in the Forums! Cat Tongue

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Thank you! My first time in the community.....This just helped sort out my issue....deleted the exercise entry and got my steps back!  So is there any way of logging the exercise I did to see how it added to my steps and calorie burn etc without deleting steps? It hasn’t automatically recognised it, even though I have it set to do so after 10 minutes, and I walked for an hour.

thank in advance!

Best Answer

Hi, @Lynndyhop, which Fitbit do you have?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have the charge 2 😊
Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @Lynndyhop, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Smiley Happy

Thanks for reaching out, nice job on doing that step.  You can restart your Charge 2 and check that the auto-recognition is on after 10 minutes. You can try to manually logged the walk or run and try to use the exact time and date and confirm if the information that gives is correct. 

Let me know if you have questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I only have 1 charge 2 Fitbit. As soon as I log my walk I did this morning On my phone I lose 4500 steps. Very annoying. They come back when I delete the walk. But I want to log it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @LesleyAG , unfortunately this is simply how the Fitbit is designed.  If you log an activity at the same time as the tracker detected steps, your manual log will override the steps automatically counted during the same time period - the program assumes you only make a manual log because it’s log is inaccurate and you know better.  Your Fitbit is working exactly as expected.

If you want to keep a record of your activities you can either take advantage of “smart track” which should automatically detect your walk, as long as you walk continuously for the minimum period set in your app, or you can use the built in exercise shortcuts to start your activity on your Charge 2.

Please see this help article for more information on Smarttrack and this one on Exercise Shortcuts .

I hope this helps.  Welcome to the forums!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a new Fitbit versa 4 and this is happening to me so thinking of returning it.  I know they said Strava could affect this which I use however it never affected it on my versa 2. Any advice?

Best Answer
0 Votes