Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps inaccurate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I decided to track my exercise instead of using the automated tracker for my walk. It only calculated 5k steps for my 4.2 mile walk. Impossible that it's only 5k steps! Not sure how to rectify this, I have a 10k step goal each day and I don't have time to walk another 2 miles just to reach it! 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Angie1088 it's always great to see new people around, welcome! Thanks for the help @WendyB.

Thanks for the details you included in your post, it helps a lot! It sounds odd that your Fitbit is giving you different steps readings but let's take a look of some details first. It's important to specify whether you wear the tracker on your dominant or non-dominant wrist, please check the recommendations about choosing the correct Handedness and perform a restart on it. You can also perform a quick accuracy test for steps, so we can verify how is this working. 

1. Put your Surge on your.
2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
3. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

If your tracker counted less than 100 steps or more than 100, please let us know and we'll see if we can investigate further. Sometimes, when you start walking you may notice that your steps may not update on your tracker right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps, you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real-time with each step you take.

Hope this helps!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Were you holding on to anything? As it needs to see the arms swinging

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I wasn't holding anything lol

Angeline S

Moderator edit: Removed personal information.

Best Answer

Have you set your stride correctly?

Community Council Member

Best Answer

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-measure-and-adjust-my-stride-length/

Please give more info on what you are Using Etc. Its hard to help with the info you give which is nothing

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Yes
Angeline S

Best Answer
0 Votes

You give no information as to what you are doing so I cant help. Best of luck

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I walked just like I normally do. Only difference was I tracked my walk
instead of letting the surge do it for me automatically. I wanted to be
able to see my pace and splits. But I did 4.16 miles and it only logged a
little over 5K steps. Yesterday I didn't track my walk, I let the Surge do
it for me and 3.4 miles gave me around 8K steps. I didn't do anything
differently while walking.

Angeline S

Best Answer

Hi @Angie1088 it's always great to see new people around, welcome! Thanks for the help @WendyB.

Thanks for the details you included in your post, it helps a lot! It sounds odd that your Fitbit is giving you different steps readings but let's take a look of some details first. It's important to specify whether you wear the tracker on your dominant or non-dominant wrist, please check the recommendations about choosing the correct Handedness and perform a restart on it. You can also perform a quick accuracy test for steps, so we can verify how is this working. 

1. Put your Surge on your.
2. Walk 100 steps, making sure to count a step each time one of your feet hits the ground.
3. Pause, then check your tracker to see your step count.

If your tracker counted less than 100 steps or more than 100, please let us know and we'll see if we can investigate further. Sometimes, when you start walking you may notice that your steps may not update on your tracker right away. After about 10-15 continuous steps, you'll notice the steps catch up and start updating in real-time with each step you take.

Hope this helps!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes