Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge GPS inaccurate

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone,

I've noticed fairly regular inaccuracies with my Surge's GPS. 

Every few runs the GPS is obviously out, as in the picture below - it's a run which started and finished in the same place, but one would never believe it from the map. The GPS was completely out for the first 2km or so, despite waiting for a GPS lock before setting out. This seems to happen most often at the end of a run.

Run.png

Do I have a buggy unit or is this a general problem that Surge users have? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

P.S. I very much enjoy using Fitbit's products and services!

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer
0 Votes
25 REPLIES 25

i'm confronting this same problem, i turn on a run with gps the route is accurately tracked on the map when i view it on fitbit.com, the distance is given as 0.2 km, but i know based on my mobile phone's gps, and a tracker app that it is actually around 0.6km

this is pretty bad, is there a connected gps tracking option for the surge?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ag88 wrote:

i'm confronting this same problem, i turn on a run with gps the route is accurately tracked on the map when i view it on fitbit.com, the distance is given as 0.2 km, but i know based on my mobile phone's gps, and a tracker app that it is actually around 0.6km

this is pretty bad, is there a connected gps tracking option for the surge?

No there never will be a Connected GPS option for the Surge, besides, compared to Connected GPS, the in-built Surge GPS is way-WAY more accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Roberto, I had worked in one project and I had the same issue of acquiring GPS signal that could take longer than 5 minutes. The firmware engineer came up a work around that the firmware seeds a default coordinates (or last successful register location) for 1st boot-up or every time user starts an activity. The GPS acquires new location a lot faster (90% faster). The GPS chip easily does delta the fault location to new location that will help. I lost total 16 minutes out of 1h20m of my running today due to GPS slow to acquiring the signal.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just wanted to add my obsurd gps tracking i received in my last run. I've never seen it so bad before, just perfect since now the fitbit surge has been discontinued too.. =[ It's like a small child took a red marker and drew on my mapIt's like a small child took a red marker and drew on my map

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have also bought a Garmin Forerunner 235 and have had no loss of GPS signal since.

Best Answer

I have the same problem with my Surge. I start running and it go from a 7 minute pace to 15 minute pace and then back to 9 minute pace and then a 7 minute. However, I have not changed my running pace. Also, I have tested the Surge GPS on the track and it is off by about 15%, even more sometimes. I have had it for about a year and have learned to adjust for the differences! 

Best Answer
0 Votes