Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge band feedback

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My second Surge band broke away. First one was replaced under warranty with no issue.  Second band recently broke away.  When I contacted customer service a very nice lady told me that the replacement one isn't covered under a warranty.  Offered a 20% discount on a new FitBit.  How is it that a replacement isn't covered under the same warranty? It seems to me that they know they have a problem and no solution is offered except to buy a new one.  Seems like a bad policy to a long time user. 

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

Hi @Kevheal

Depending on where you live, the warranty is for 365 in the US and in the European countries, it is 2 years.

Warranty is from the time of the original purchase and not from the time of a replacement product. You can read more about the warranty here - click

I did a search of the Surge forum area and found a member who was able to replace their out of warranty band. They gave a link to this blog entry that has images and takes a person step by step in replacing the band. Give it a look - click - it might be something you feel able to do

Let us know what happens.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 9

Best Answer

Given the number of band failures it is likely a design flaw

A sports watch should last more a than a few years in my opinion 

I have been offered the usual discount to spend more money on a new product!!!

i have switched to another manufacturer with much better functionality

overall the surge is a poor product 

Best Answer

Yeah, same here.  I guess they only warranty one device so when then second is junk as well they don't have to do anything.  Just send me a new band already.  Now it wont sync or swipe.

Capture.JPG

Best Answer

I'm glad to see you here in the Forums @MA678 and @GrantM64. 

Sorry about what happened to your bands. We strive for excellent customer service, and customer satisfaction remains our number one goal. Fitbit is always reviewing your responses to provide feedback to our product development team.

I've checked with our Support Team and apparently they already took your case under their wings. Please feel free to reply to our team if you have questions about your case.

Please let me know if you need anything else! 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Yes, they offered a 25% discount on the purchase of another Fitbit.  Do I have to purchase a new device every couple years? I don't think so.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back! Sorry you feel that way, as mentioned before we don't want to create frustration to our users as we try to help each one of them. Your feedback is really appreciated, please let me know if I can help with with anything else!

Thank you for your understanding. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

What am I supposed to understand.  That I have to spend $325 every 2 years in order to continue to use your products?  And, replace it once during that time?  A 25% discount isn't good enough.  Grant 

Which product did you go with?

Best Answer

I am on my 3rd Surge.  Band issues all 3 times (along with a few other issues).  Band issue is the constant problem, and I agree that a working device that can't have a band replaced is kind of short sighted on their part and certainly not a green device.  It is a materials and design flaw, in my opinion, and they should admit this and stand behind their product.  I have had 2 replacements by fitbit (thank you), but now they won't replace it and offer me a 20% or 40% (Ion) discount instead.  Warranty shmorranty!  It isn't good enough when one fitbit doesn't last one year.  I have had 3 in less than 3 years.  How much money does one have to spend on a design flaw.  Check out how many surge bands have failed!  Google it.  My friend got the first generation Apple Watch (April 24, 2015 release date) and it is still going strong despite trips, falls, and crashes.  I got my first fitbit Dec 2015 and without any trips, falls, or crashes it failed, as has the next 2.  Step up fitbit.

Love the link for the fitbit band replacement.  Thanks.  My feelings exactly.

@Odyssey13 wrote:

Hi @Kevheal

Depending on where you live, the warranty is for 365 in the US and in the European countries, it is 2 years.

Warranty is from the time of the original purchase and not from the time of a replacement product. You can read more about the warranty here - click

I did a search of the Surge forum area and found a member who was able to replace their out of warranty band. They gave a link to this blog entry that has images and takes a person step by step in replacing the band. Give it a look - click - it might be something you feel able to do

Let us know what happens.

Spongebob Slowpants
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hope you are doing great and enjoying some healthy activities @bugslovertoo and @GrantM64

We're glad to see you around, thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit environment, customer service and devices. As mentioned before, this has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

One more thing to mention is that you can always read the Returns and Warranty policies from Fitbit so you can have a better understanding of the response they provided you. If you have additional questions in regards of your options, please feel free to contact them back to get more information about it. Fitbit as any other company have policies to follow through.  And while customer satisfaction remains our number one goal, the demands of running a global business require that we enforce our warranty consistently.   

I'll be around in case that you have additional questions and thanks again for your participation in the community!

Best Answer

Yes, I still enjoy my healthy activities but unfortunately they aren't recorded because my second fitbit which is a 1 year old has a broken band. 

Best Answer

If you chose a different brand, which one did you choose?  I am looking at Apple, Garmin (something runner 35), and another (can’t remember... sheeesh). 

Spongebob Slowpants
Best Answer
I chose apple in the end

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Thx for the reply. 

Spongebob Slowpants
Best Answer
I have purchased nothing as I am awaiting a response from customer service.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I ended up chatting with Fitbit last night and decided to give them one more try since they attempted to make things right.  If the Ionic doesn't perform I'll move on.  

Best Answer

Thanks for your sincere response @GrantM64. I hope you don't have more issues with your Ionic, I'm glad to know that you'll be having the option to keep tracking your activities.

@bugslovertoo and @MA678 thanks for sharing your feedback. Please know that your comments will be reported to our team.

@Kevheal Have you gotten the response from our team already? Do you have a case open? or Did you chat or talk with one of our representatives? I'll be waiting for your response. 

I truly appreciate your visit to our Community!

Best Answer
I didn’t buy an Ionic. Why would I buy a $400 product with a 375 day life expectancy? Warranty is only 1 yr and doesn’t apply to replacements. I guess fitbit doesn’t even trust their own product.

Disappointment doesn’t begin to describe my feelings. As I have said, I have had 3 Fitbits in less than 3 years. If I had complained as soon as a band problem started, then it would be more like 2 years, 3 months. (By problem, I mean the band bubbling). So, I am researching other products with better design, one that is better built.

Sent from my iPhone
Spongebob Slowpants
Best Answer

Hi @bugslovertoo, thanks for getting back.

Thanks for bringing this information to our attention, we appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback. Sorry to hear about your broken Surge band. I can assure you that we’re always working to improve the longevity, durability of our products. We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts.

I'll be around in case that you have additional questions and thanks again for your participation in the community!

Best Answer

Feedback won't matter.  I assume that since there seems to be quite a few customers who owned a Surge and who had band problems with the Surge Band, and the fact that Fitbit no longer makes the Surge, that the feedback resulted in a change in model and design.  Fitbit won't replace the Surge because, I assume, it is an endless band issue - replacement cycle.  So change the design, offer a pittance of a discount for long term loyal customers, and cut the losses.  This is just a marketing strategy when product design fails.

As I said before, I am disappointed.  I promoted Fitbit to my friends (most of whom wound up with band problems) and to others.  I feel shame now knowing what I know.  I would never have promoted Fitbit had I known the design/material flaw that they had.

And the Surge isn't the only device with band issues.  The Charge 2 and Alta HR, to name just 2 of Fitbit's products, have band issue, products my friends bought.  

I have had a Timex Ironman for 6 years, no problem wearing it day in and day out, on runs and rides etc.  Perhaps Fitbit should speak to Timex and work out a new band system.

Thanks for the response.  No need to respond again.  

Spongebob Slowpants
Best Answer