Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge not syncing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi since 8th June my surge will not sync to my Samsung Galaxy phone. I have reset the device including Bluetooth settings and still no different. Could somebody please advise?

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

Have all the latest iPhone and Fitbit app software installed.  Went thru the described procedure and after a couple of attempts it finally synced at 10:59 PM on 7/15/18.  On 7/16/18 it was again not working.  Fitbit app shows Looking in the sync section.  iPhone Bluetooth settings showing Surge Not Connected.  When I try to connect pop up message shows Connection Unsuccessful Make sure "Surge" is turned on and in range.  This is frustrating to have to keep doing this procedure over and over.  Will try the suggested solution again but don't have much confidence in it working for any length of time.

Spent over an hour on help chat to try to get my Surge to sync.  After numerous failed attempts the tech said she didn't know anything else to do.  She did offer a discount on a new watch.  I will once again remove and reinstall my Surge and just use it as a time piece without being able check the data on my iPhone 6.  Fitbit really needs to do more research and development on this issue as it seems to be a problem for many Surge owners.

Best Answer

Hi @bubbleguy and @jadajohn thanks for your participation on the forums. 

I really appreciate all the steps that you've tried until now, sorry for the inconvenience you've had with your Surge. As you have tried all the steps multiple time it'd be best to check with our support team the warranty options since there is no more steps other than the ones you already received from them. I noticed that both of you have a case open. Please feel free to contact them back or if you need help with that please let me know. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Same issue as described above.  Mine stop syncing 7/16.   Unpaired, unable to repair. Surge firmware 16.34.6.1, software 2.74.2 Android.

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Fitbit Community @B-rad1! Thanks for your participation on the Forums Heart

Thanks for reporting this syncing issues and for trying to fix it with those steps! I'd like to know what model of phone you're using. Sometimes multiple restarts work when the Fitbit is unresponsive. Are you getting an specific error message when reconnecting it?

I'll be waiting for your response! Cat Embarassed

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Given up on the syncing....I only have my laptop, tried pairing...sometimes works...don't have a mobile HELP!

Best Answer

Hi @dogsit, welcome to this thread! Sorry to hear that you don't have a mobile device to sync, but don't worry you can definitely use your computer.

If your computer has built-in Bluetooth and is running Windows 10, you can try to use the Fitbit App. If you're having syncing issues with the App, I'd try also the Fitbit Connect using the Wireless Dongle instead.

Don't forget always do the basic troubleshooting when it is not connecting:

1. Check that computer is up to date 
  2. Use the last version of the Fitbit App
  3. Reboot the Bluetooth
  4. Restart your Fitbit

You can find more information in this article too: Why won't my Fitbit device sync? Please let me know what you have already tried or if you're getting an specific error while troubleshooting.

See you around.

Best Answer

I'm now convinced the issue is with the Surge that wont's sync with the fitbit app on my android phone. To recap, my fitbit app on Android suddenly could not sync with the surge. Since I posted the issue, I did further tests:

1. I tried a different Android phone, Google Pixel (mine is Moto) and still couldn't sync.

2. I tried apple iphone, and still couldn't sync.

3. All the phones I tried could sync with a different fitbit tracker that my daughter has.

3. The Surge could sync with my Windows 10 computer through the USB wire.

Since the Surge uses Low Energe Bluetooth to sync with the app, I guess the issue is with the LE bluetooth or bluetooth in general. It is disheartening to see the Surge (the top of the line from Fitbit) failed only 1.5 years after I bought it. Since bluetooth is such a mature technology, I hope the Fitbit engineers can come up with a firmware repair. 

Best Answer

mine keeps doing that!! and even though it doesnt pair, i try to use it for runs and it will reset! the dang watch resets itself!! i called customer service even though this is a REPLACEMENT watch because my original also didn't work, they won't send me another one can you believe this rip off- angry is an understatement. i feel like they stole my money!

Best Answer

Hi @bubbleguy and @SunsetRunner thanks for information that you've shared here.

At this point it's best to check the options that our support team has for you. @SunsetRunner you will get information via email about this. @bubbleguy I can request a case for you if you wish.

Please keep me posted. 

Best Answer

My fitbit surge stopped sync on 7/26. 

Based on the trouble shooting about fitbit not sync, I tried unpair phone and rejoint. Turn off and on fitbit and phone. It only works right after fitbit surge setup for once or twice, then it is no longer sync.If I want to sync, I have to turn off fitbit and turn it back on. Very annoying. 

I installed fitbit app on my window 10. it has no problem to find my fitbit with dangle snd sync just fine. It proves the fitbit is in working condition.

Last, From the workout record on Sunday morning 7/26 to fitbit app updated on my Andriod phone. It seems to me it is the problem from fitbit app update for andriod. developers for fitbit app needs to look into it.

Best Answer

Hi @YojanaFitbit, I don't know what does "a case" mean. But, if it can help fix the issue, please go ahead requesting a case. Thanks. 

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner! Please receive a warm welcome to the Fitbit Family! It's great to see you participating in our Community! Cat Happy

Thanks for your feedback and for trying all those steps already, I'd like to know what model of phones are you using to sync. Also make sure that both the OS of the phone and the Fitbit App are up to date before to try to sync again.

@bubbleguy Thanks for getting back. I requested a case/ticket for your case, they will be reaching out shortly. Keep an eye on your email inbox.

Let me know if you have questions about it.

Best Answer

Samsung Galaxy S6 with Android 7.0. When I started troubleshooting, the first thing I checked is the versions of my phone and fitbit app. All up to date. 

Since my car has bluetooth too, to avoid interference with each other, I turn off all-day sync for fitbit on my phone. Only open fitbit app and do manual sync at the end of day. About 5 of 7 days, they sync fine. the rest of 2 days, I have to set bluetooth setting on my watch to pair and then my phone app will pick it up.

Also, I noticed tempreture and humidity play big roles here. For example, after I bike or run outside in a hot summer day,  my fitbit surge does not sweat on my arm and refuse to sync for a couple of days and I have to re-pair them every time. 

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for responding with those details and the model of your phone. It's very odd that it is not syncing every single day, but I understand why you turn off All day sync.

In cases of having an Android phone, also check your phone Permissions and leave location on to keep syncing with your phone, for more info check this suggestions from @ErickFitbitSmiley Wink

If that doesn't work let's check some requirements that your phone and Surge should have in order to successfully communicate:

Requirements:

• Phone should be a compatible device check our list of compatible devices
  • The phone must be bonded with their tracker
  • Bluetooth service must be turned on
  • For Android phones: to help improve the delivery, go to Notifications and make sure Enable Notification Widget is on. If you recently updated the Fitbit app, reboot your mobile device and try setting up notifications again.
  • Make sure the Do Not Disturb setting on your mobile device is turned off because it prevents the device from sending notifications to your tracker.
  • The software on your mobile device is updated. To check, tap Settings > General > Software Update iOS for Android  Settings > About phone > Android Version.
  • The Bluetooth setting on your mobile device is on. To check, tap Settings > Bluetooth.
  • If you use more than one Bluetooth phone, tablet, or computer to sync, the other one isn't nearby (or has Bluetooth disabled).
  • Your tracker's battery should be fully charged.

If the syncing issue remains with a mobile device I would recommend following the steps below:

1. Restart your tracker a couple of times and make sure that it is fully charged
  2. Reboot your phone and check that you phone and Fitbit App is up to date 
  3. Open Bluetooth Settings on your phone and delete your Surge from there (forget device)
  4. Open Fitbit App > Account > Surge > Remove device (tap on the trash can in the upper right corner)
  5. Reboot your Bluetooth and double check that it is not connecting from there
  6. Force quite the App. Open it again Account > Set up a device

Hope this helps and welcome again! Heart

Best Answer
I have done all of the above. It’s b en 5 weeks now. ... I am starting to loose patience.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Hi @SlowOrla thanks for getting back and for trying all those steps. I'm not sure why your Surge is not responding. Have you tried to use any other device? What device are you using? As if those issues persist with different devices we might have to request a ticket for your case.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Best Answer
Hi,

I only use my ipad.

It's getting rather confusing now!

I would be delighted if you could get this resolved.

Thanks,

Orla
Best Answer
Quit trying to get Surge to sync with my iPhone 6.  Purchased a Versa and so far so good with syncing.Still disappointed that the syncing problem has not been resolved for Surge owners.
Best Answer

I know location, bluetooth and all those setting. I also understand I can't record outdoor running/biking if location is not on nor I can use google map to navigate. I had tried all you said. After all,  I am a software engineer and work on Windows/Android system and trouble shooting is my nature. From what I see, it is the combination of fitbit hardware and software issue.

Best Answer
I wish they hadn’t sold it to me if they weren’t going to support the
software.
Best Answer