Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge step/distance accuracy on tredmill

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I got a surge for Christmas and love it. Just the motivation etc I need however I have one major problem. Most of my exercise is on a tredmill and my surge only registers half the number of steps I take, half the distance and half the pace. I wear it on my non dominant hand and have it set to non dominant so it's not that. I haven't adjusted my step length as being 50% out doesn't seem to make sense as being a step length measurement problem. Please help as otherwise the surge is perfect for me.
Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hey @PhilB24, I recommend restarting your tracker as it could be a temporary glitch. Are you holding on to the hand rails at any time? That's not a good idea as it can interfere with detecting steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks @SunsetRunner I'll try resetting it and see how that goes. I don't hold onto the rails when I'm on the tredmill but if I'm walking rather than running I sometimes hold my phone or a book in the other hand from my surge.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@PhilB24 did this work for you? i have the same problem. thx

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community @croninkl and @PhilB24! Fitbit trackers measure your steps and distance based on the frequency, acceleration, intensity and duration. With this information you'll get your steps, distance traveled and calories burned. Since you mentioned you're on the elliptical, you're standing on the same place constantly so there might be some missing steps. I recommend making sure you're wearing your Surge while it is on "Elliptical". You can choose this option on your Surge by going to "Exercise". Remember you need to have this option enabled from your Account Settings

Keep me posted! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had problems with the Surge's accuracy on the treadmill for distance & steps.  Adjusting my stride didn't seem to help.  And my arms do what they do.  I took someone else's suggestion & threaded a thin velcro through the strap and strapped it to my ankle.  WHOA!!!!  Finally, the steps & distance match the treadmill almost spot on.  I don't care about the calories or heart rate, but others may.  I'm satisfied for now, as most of my runs are outside and I have so issues with the Surge on my wrist, although the GPS goes a little wonky once in a while.

Best Answer

Welcome to our Communiy @debzeppelin! I'm glad to know that this worked for you! We recommend wearing your Surge on your wrist, since it was designed for it. Just to make sure, I'd like to know if you may want to try to clench the handles of your treadmill all the time you exercise and see if the results are the same.  

Keep me posted! 

Fitbit Community ModeratorVivian | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did this help you? Help others by marking it as a solution! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I did try clenching the handles of the treadmill, and I saw absolutely no difference in accuracy, and it was uncomfortable.   I don't mind "McGyvering" to get the accurate miles & steps I want.  For $250, and knowing who popular treadmills are, Fitbit should have taken the steps/mileage accuracy into consideration.

Best Answer
0 Votes