Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Surge as connected GPS

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Could I choose to use the Fitbit Surge connected to my phones GPS? (Surge GPS = off, Phone GPS = on)

If I already have my phone with me to listen to music, I'd like to drain my phones battery for GPS usage instead of the Surge, is this possible? (the field isn't checked on the model comparison overview on the official website).

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @tomhagen! I'm glad to see you here. Actually this is a really good question. I understand the fact that you want to save your Surge battery, it sounds like a good idea. You can use the option Mobile Run from the Fitbit App and keep using your Surge.  Working with the GPS sensors in your phone, MobileRun calculates distance, elevation, and pace for your walk, run, or hike. When the activity is done and you sync your tracker, you'll find all the data and a GPS map of your route in your exercise history.

As you will wear your tracker while using MobileRun, the steps, active minutes, and calories burned that you see on your Fitbit dashboard come from the tracker. Otherwise your phone is used to calculate this data. During the workout you can view your elapsed distance, time, and average pace as well as use the music controls in the Fitbit app. 

Make sure that your phone has the option to use MobileRun by checking our List of Supported Devices first. Also you can follow the steps in this article that describes how to use Mobile Run in different devices.

Hope this helps! Smiley Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where should I see my MobileRun activities? Under the "Track exercise" icon like my usual activities?

Best Answer

Thanks for popping by the forums @bob.kryszak! Actually, yes. You will see your Run/Walk/Hike activities from Mobile Run feature under the same tile: "Track Exercise".  They'll show basically the same stats that the Surge gives but HR; since the information will be taken from the GPS phone. 

Hope this solves your inquiry! Smiley Wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This was a great tip...I have refrained from using the GPS feature because of the decreased battery life. Tried it last night and it worked like a charm. Emujo

Best Answer

Hi @Emujo! Please receive a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community! It's great to see you participating in our Community. Smiley Happy

Thanks a million for your leaving your feedback here! Our main goal is that everybody in our family feels free to express ideas and comments that will help other. Keep seeking around for tips that will improve your Fitbit usage!

See you around! Woman Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes