Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waterproof and Swimming Tracking

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have the FitBit Charge HR and I love it, but I am a swimmer and enjoy doing laps. I was considering the Surge which has everything I am looking for except being waterproof to track swimming. When will the Surge or even the Charge HR be upgraded to include these features?
Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

Neither the Charge HR nor Surge can be upgraded as they have a small hole to measure floors which makes it impossible to be waterproof.

Hopefully a future fitbit model will be produced that is waterproof but I'm not sure how it would track swimming as all the fitbit models so far have been based on detecting steps and as you don't take steps when swimming they don't track it very well.

However, with all fitbits you can get good data by manually logging swimming:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-log-or-record-an-activity/

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SteveH wrote:

Neither the Charge HR nor Surge can be upgraded as they have a small hole to measure floors which makes it impossible to be waterproof.

i disagree

waterproof pressure sensor exist, look at diving computers.

that's a matter of choice and price.

imho, the problem is more the heart rate sensor.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I do agree with you in that it is possible to have waterproof altimeters. I was just making the point that the current fitbits don't use such a sensor and so cannot be upgraded via a software change. Hopefully fitbit will change their sensor in future models.

Interesting point re the heart rate sensor, something I hadn't considered before.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Check out the Vivoactive HR. Counts floors AND is rated for swimming. (will even detect laps in the pool!) 

I wish Fitbit would listed to the complaints and introduce a swim capable device. If not, other options in different brands do exist with exelent reviews. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks base runner!  Just checked out Vivoactive HR by Garmin.  So much of training programme is water based...I swim, kayak & canoe.  Looks like business is going to Garmin.  That model tracks paddling too! 🐵

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GJ_Hardie Welcome to our Community! Fitbit has heard all the users that were interested in a tracker to record their swimming routines so you might be interested in the new Flex 2 which can be used for swimming. You can check it out here.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer

Didn't get on with the Garmin in the end.  Have used the Flex 2 now for over year and its been great.  

Now my monitoring requirements have increased (training for triathlons)...Iconic looks like the best bet.

Just a bit concerned with some of the more recent posts regarding updates breaking functionality.  Any comment?

Best Answer
0 Votes