Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wristband broken

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is going to be my last week as a Fitbit user.

I bought my 1st Surge in April 2015.  My 3rd and final Surge is going the same way as the previous two.  The strap above the top of the watch face is peeling off, and there is a huge bubble in the strap  below the watch face.

I need a device with GPS, but I am not prepared to spend more good money on an Ionic.  I am totally disillusioned with the quality and reliability of Fitbit products (my wife is on her 3rd Charge).

I love the community and the support offered by Fitbit and the community, but until the quality of the products improves I shall be stepping and running with Garmin.

Good luck guys.

Best Answer
32 REPLIES 32

I am also on my 2nd surge with a bubbling issue, and looking at options of whether I get a new one or switch brands. The bubbling is a well known frequent issue. What is fitbit doing to eliminate this issue?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Doug_B Fitbit no longer sell the Surge, so the bubbling straps are no longer a problem.  Problem solved Smiley Indifferent

Best Answer

my emails will not go thru to fibit support.  i tried from two different computers.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit offered me a 25% ‘discount’ off a new surge also. Mine was 3 years old, one year out of warranty. I refused this and demanded a replacement. It arrived 2 days later. People in the UK and EUROPE need to understand what their consumer rights are. These devices with faulty straps are clearly unfit for purpose and should have been subject to recall. Fitbit’s 25% ‘offer’ is them chancing their arm. They understand full well that the limited warranty they offer is irrelevant and what they have to do by law, which is repair it, replace it or refund it. 

Repairing is not an option to them as they don’t have the facilities. Neither do they sell the bands. I’m mortified that moderators employed by fitbit would openly advocate fitting a substandard 3rd party band to their product - however the cynic in me would look to the fact that anyone who has done so immediately invalidates any possible warranty claim...

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Surge was out of warranty, so I couldn't invalidate the warranty. It was a "no brainer" for me.  I didn't want to spend another £200+ on another watch even with at 25% discount.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It doesn’t matter if you have warranty left or not @VeggieJill 

Fitbit have to replace your device for a new one, by law they have 3 options, repair/replace/refund don’t settle for anything less. These are faulty devices which should have been subject to a recall. Fitbit know this and the offer of a 25% ‘discount’ is just them trying it on. The 2 year warranty is irrelevant. Check out the consumer rights act 2015 am definitely know your rights 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner Perhaps not, but you have invalidated your right to claim a replacement from fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@NiallDodds I realise this now, but didn't at the time.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everybody! Thanks for your participation.

In case that you're having issues with band please let me know so I can request a new case for you. If you already have a case open, please update your information. As you will be getting a follow up email shortly. 

Remember to take a look of these tips on how to take care of you arm and your Fitbit as well.               

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

See you around.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi 

My Fitbit Surge wrist strap has detached from the watch itself. It is the side with the buckle on. Did the same happen to your wrist strap or did the wrist strap itself brake ? I noticed on your eBay link there was a small screw driver with the wrist strap kit. My wrist strap had stretched across the width of the watch. 

Has your new Fitbit Surge wrist strap held out ? I am just deciding whether or not to purchase a new wrist strap and fit myself, as you did, a good idea. I assume the wrist strap is screwed into position, is that right ? 

I am too disappointed with the quality. I guess that is why no longer on the market !!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I have decided to try and replace the strap of my surge.  I have nothing to loose by attempting this.  Have ordered one of the straps from ebay  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182708778256 . Another fitbit user @splwil posted about them on https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/Fitbit-Surge-Band-Issues/m-p/2388239/highlight/true#M75753

If it works then fantastic I will still be a Fitbit user, if it doesn't I will be buying a competitors product

Best Answer
Hi,

I don't remember which side of the band detached. The band detached from the face of the watch, like where the screws are. I did get two more bands off ebay, both of which broke too so I finally just gave up. I decided to go away from the fitbit family , because I just couldn't fathom spending that amount of money again and having the strap break. It doesn't make sense not to offer replacement parts made for the fitbit made by fitbit.

I now own a samsung gear,and I absolutely LOVE it. And there are replacement bands available in case the same thing happens. But it's been a year and no issues! It offers a lot more features, that to be honest I don't use but I still like it more than I did the fitbit.

Hope this helps
Best Answer

The cheap wristband of ebay had very similar quality standards to the Fitbit strap.  It failed after about 8 months.  Neither straps snapped, they blistered and eventually peeled where the strap met the watch.  This is a well documented failure with the Surge.

On each part of the strap the two screws and a lot of glue hold the strap part on.  It takes a lot of effort to remove the strap part off the watch once the screws are removed.  After cleaning the glue debris of the "stump" of the watch the new strap should push on and click into place.

I too have left the Fitbit family, as I had no desire to buy watch straps every 6-8 months.  I am now the owner of an Apple Watch and I am very pleased with it.

Good luck !!

Best Answer

I've noticed you are new around @Skyexplore, so let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Thanks for adding your comments @VeggieJill and @SunsetRunner.

Sorry about what happened to your Surge band @SunsetRunner and @VeggieJill. We strive for excellent customer service, and customer satisfaction remains our number one goal. I'll definitely pass this information to our team, thanks for sharing your feedback with us.

@Skyexplore I've checked with our Support Team and apparently they already took your case under their wings. Please keep an eye in your email inbox, you'll get some information about your case.

Please let me know if you need anything else! 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes