Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surge battery replacement or is this $200.00 device disposable?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

my Fitbit surge is 1.5 years old and now the battery is not charging. It lasts about 2 hours and comes up on my phone almost immediately saying its fully charged. I have left it charging over night and still only about two hours of charge on it. How do I get a replacement battery or in this disposable society is this $200. watch now garbage?

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

There are no replacement batteries

But try these steps and see if it helps

Please clean the contacts
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/My-tracker-s-battery-isn-t-charging/?q=not+chargi...

Then Do a Restart
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1186/?q=restart&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1

Also See this thread for charging best practices. If you are not charging it correctly you could be damaging the battery
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge/Fitbit-charge-battery-problems/m-p/1323307#M53291

How can I Improve my Fitbit battery life?
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2004/?q=improve+the+battery&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=...

How do I charge my Fitbit device?
http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1799

If that does not help contact support
http://help.fitbit.com/?l=en_US&cu=1&fs=ContactUs

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I've seen replacement batteries on ebay

Best Answer
You have to cut the band off and all the replacement bands have bad reviews. I was thinking about trying that but it seems complicated. Maybe I should learn then offer the service.

Sent from softailrider iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Amazon has several stores selling band repair kits for the Surge with most having very positive reviews. I've seen one store that sells batteries for the Surge also with positive reviews. Both kits come with the required tools and instructions. Videos may also be found on youtube

Best Answer
Yes I may try that, nothing seems to help this battery right now.
Best Answer
0 Votes

You do not need to cut off the band. Very easy to replace. I'll do it for $50 plus cost of new wrist band and shipping.

Best Answer

Here's a YouTube explaining the installation process. Seems straightforward, requiring some unscrewing, removing clips and prying open device. I've not replaced the battery in my Surge (*yet, I still get 2+ days out of mine, will when it's necessary), I've done a similar install on my One recently, and it went great 😁 Link: "Fitbit Surge Batteries". Good luck, keep us posted! 

Best Answer

Yes there are, you're just mad people are repairing instead of being wasteful and buying new devices

Best Answer

I have the same experience 

What a **ahem**

In 2 years the battery is completely down

No warranty, no replacement possiblility 

Fit Bit is completely disqualified and not able to produce quality.

Best Answer

Even cheap $15 smart watch has more functions and perform much better. 

The worst item I ever bought. 

Few months after I bought a it. The strap brook lots of people suffer of this problem. Few months later the screen start to looks like shuttered glass. Few months later the battery is not keeping the charge. This is not mentioning the BT not connecting problem, not syncing cos no Wi-Fi. Oh really very clever design

I really how they get all these false reviews based on what. On the spec available from the company data sheet. 

I will never buy or advice any one to buy one ever. 

Piece of crab. 

Oh I forget to mention customer support they are quick to tell you that you are out of guarantee. Nothing they can do. Hahaha. I wonder what they else they really do? 

Best Answer

FitBit is certainly doing themselves no favors by telling people you can’t get the screens fixed, batteries replaced, or if the watch doesn’t work at all, that’s it. The thing is, all these things can be done, but FitBit has decided not to do or support such activity. They will not be long in business. If you want to fix your FitBit, one outfit I’ve had great luck with is JoesGE.com. Screen, battery, main board, I’ve had them all replaced at one time or another at a fraction of the cost of a new smart watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit has never really told you that you can't get your Fitbit fixed. They say that they don't have a repair service for customer service. 

Unlike one competitor who charges almost the price of a new unit to fix their product and gives back the users item. Fitbit has decided insteasd of repair the will offer a new device for the cost of a repair. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You sound like. Politision or you work for fitbit look at the latest flagship versa 2 it no longer supports notifications on iPhone and customer service still mugs everyone off with were working on a fix there will prob a versa 3 out before that fix ever materialises my surge strap blistered and has been plagued by connection and sync issues  since ani bought it

I had to use a 3rd party app for my notification and when Fitbit finally got notifications working  it only supports one messenger at a time I won't buy another and if your happy to pay out for a partially working device good luck to you

Best Answer

Untrue messages from FIT BIt:

my battery is broken down.

I Ask for replacement 

the answer is NO

FIT BIT **ahem**

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought a replacement band on Amazon $15 and it was actually really easy to change after watching a youtube tutorial! Now I'm looking at a battery as well I charge to fill and then just 2 hrs wearing and it's 20%. Very disappointed in Fitbit for this one.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Robinbgreene

How old is your fitbit? If it's a few years old, well, most rechargeable batteries in things (like cell phones) don't fully charge like they originally did. However, the batteries in the Surge, like cell phones can be replaced. Check out JoesGE.com. I think it's $50, complete, shipping both ways included. Beats tossing the watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Batteries for the Surge are availible on Amazon and easy to change. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Rich, that’s good to know. $12.95 is not bad!  I’ll take a look at the procedure and see if I’d feel comfortable with doing it myself. I’d want to make sure I could close it back up without compromising the seals, as moisture intrusion is also a problem with these watches.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The biggest problem with the surge that kills the battery is the charging connector.  Either from the cable or on the Device itself.

I have a Fitbit Charge HR(My first Fitbit) that never had any charging connection issues.  The connection is strong and charges perfectly.  The Surge, on the other hand, will constantly disconnect and reconnect whilst its charging.  Over a few days of this constant disconnecting and reconnecting whilst charging it then kills the battery. 

There are no nice charging clips available for the Surge so what I have done is taken some of those metal twisties that you get when you purchase new cables, wrapped them around my charging cable and then when I connect the cable I fasten it together at the from of the watch so that its nice and tight. 

No more disconnection and my capacity has improved.  Of course not back to its original capacity as the damage has been done but I can at least last 24 hours without receiving the "Your surge battery is running low" notification. 

I will have to replace the battery at some point to get back my full capacity. 

Best Answer
0 Votes