Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta not counting steps accurately

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I walk in mornings using Runkeeper app and it's way off from my Alta.  I walked 1.9 miles which I did test with my car and it's accurate.  Runkeeper says 1.9 Fitbit says 0.8.  I've had it for a few weeks and I can't get it to come close to accurate.  Tried resetting it, tried adjusting stride length and still way off. At first it was off about 1/2 mile now over a mile that's a lot of missed steps not being counted.   Any ideas on how to get more accurate step count 

thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @Countmysteps11, good to see you have joined the Fitbit Community! Are you using the GPs feature of your mobile app (MobileRun)?

Note that your tracker will calculate distance by multiplying your walking steps and walking stride length. Similarly, your running steps are multiplied by your running stride length. This will not necessarily match a pre-measured distance, nor will it show exactly what a GPS device will show.

Now if you are using GPS, the measurement of the distance will depend on your mobile phone sensor. MobileRun calculates distance, elevation, and pace for your walk, run, or hike. When the activity is done and you sync your tracker, you'll find all the data and a GPS map of your route in your exercise history.

So let me know how are you tracking your exercise?

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I downloaded another app that counts steps and distance that app is accurate with my Runkeeper app but not my Fitbit Alta.  Today I walked 3.12 miles according to my Runkeeper app and also the other walking app I downloaded.  That walking app had same distance as Runkeeper  which is accurate.  The walking app said I walked 6362 steps.  My Fitbit said I only walked 1.77 miles and walked 4001 steps.  That is way off I have tried adjusting stride length, I called customer service and they told me to rest it and it's still way off.  Getting frustrated that I bought this Fitbit and it's not even close to keeping track of the steps I do everyday 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Countmysteps11, thank you for keep me posted. Factors such as tracker placement, dominant or non-dominant wrist, and stride length can all affect the number of steps recorded. 

In this case as you have mentioned you already tried what our support team told you and the issues keep persisting, please let them know so they can give you additional help and indicate what can be the next step.

If you need more help from my side, just let me know.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes