Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned not showing on MyFitnessPal

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've linked Fitbit with My Fitness Pal and although MFP seems to be syncing my steps, my calories burned are not showing up in MFP.

This had led to me wondering if I should ditch MFP and just use the Fitbit app to track movement and food intake! But when I look at the dashboard, Fitbit is not deducting workouts/exercise from my calorie total either.

Basically, I want to monitor my movement and I want calories 'earned' to be added to my calorie total each day. Is there a way to do that in Fitbit? Or figure out why it's no longer recording calories burned/earned in MFP, since I connected it to Fitbit!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

Thank you so much; as it turns out, I just needed a little patience. Once I had gone through all the steps, I synced the next day and the calories burned showed up automatically as they were supposed to in MFP. Thank you again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

You've probably already tried this, but you can "revoke access" to myfitnesspal by logging into your fitbit account > settings > applications. Try that, and when you add back myfitnesspal, you are prompted to sign in, so you can use your new account info. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @resistance. Its nice to have you here in the Fitbit Community @PhitCat.  It's been a few days since you posted, so I'm wondering how it goes? Is the issue still persisting?

Did you tried what @resistance have kindly suggested before? Perhaps the following post will provide you more details about this suggestion.

In case the issue still persists, I would like to know from where are you trying to revoke the access? Is it from MFP or through your Fitbit account? 

I had a similar issue like the one you are describing. In order to resolved this problem, I logged into MFP account through http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps using the old account and I disconnected the Fitbit tracker from here.

Keep me posted how it goes. I'll be around.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Roberto,

I've attempted disconnecting from both MFP and FitBit apps and websites, deleting the apps, logging out, etc. My Fitbit tracker is selected for steps in MFP. It's syncing everything between both apps normally except exercise, which isn't going to MFP. Steps work fine. The exercise is running, which should be one of the common ones.

Any advice?

Best Answer

Hey there @SunsetRunner, thank you for joining us here in the Fitbit Community. If your exercises are not going from your Fitbit account to your MyFitnessPal account, note that this is the way it works.

The information shared between both of your accounts may vary depending where are you logging this data, as it shows this chart:

What syncs?
Fitbit > Steps > MFP
Fitbit > Calories > MFP
Fitbit > Aria measurements > MFP
MFP > Logged food > Fitbit
MFP > Activities > Fitbit

Exercises logged in MFP will sync with your Fitbit Dashboard. However only those activities logged in MFP wont be share in the same way. If everything else is working fine, rest assure your accounts are working as it should.

For more details take a look at this post: Third Party Apps - Informational Post

See you around and hope this information helps.

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

MFP  does a better job with getting the foods into your profile accurately.  The scan function of the food bar code is just plain magic.  If you call up the fitbit food icon it will show calories in an calories out.  I mean its just math at this point.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lizzie,

Can you log in to my fitness pal website, go to settings, diary settings, under calorie adjustments make sure to check the box entitled 'Enable Negative Adjustments' Then click save changes at the bottom.

Now try opening your MFP app and you should now see the exercise/calorie adjustments. I hope this helps.

Best Answer

I second you on all you points mentioned.

Fitbit does not add to your daily calorie intake like MFP does according to number of calories burned.

There is not a smooth equal sync between the 2.

I would log my food in Fitbit but Fitbit's food library/database is not as massive as MFP.

COME ON FITBIT!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry correction..MFP does not make way for more daily calories as you have burned

Best Answer
0 Votes

A related request for help please. I have a fit bit One and HR 2 and both have been syncing with my fitness pal brilliantly for some time. 

I have just just added a Flex 2 to track my swimming too. However I don't seen to see any credit being transferred for the swim exercise to MFP as calories burned. They are showing in the Fitbit app ok but  I'd like some calorie credit for swimming as well as walking. How do I make that happen? Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @rscottad@Neecy_GJ and @FearZeus, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community and I appreciate your feedback about the food logging.

Good to see you again @Thurnbyhelen and let me step in. Following the chart I shared before in my previous post, you'll see exercises are not shared from Fitbit to MFP, only your overall calorie count will be transferred. So if your swimming activity appear on your Fitbit Dashboard, it means is already contributing with your total calorie count and this number should be shared with MFP.

Note that is your Fitbit account the one that is syncing with MFP and not your trackers and basically will depend of the information that accept MFP.

See you until the next time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply.  I think I understand the table.  

The example I had yesterday was that I had a swim tracked by my fitbit but there was no calories adjustments transferred to mfp at all.  

Because this didn't seem to be happening, and I usually track all non-step exercise directly in mfp, I added a swim to mfp manually.  So I did then get calorie credit in mfp, but this of course synced back to fitbit and erased/replaced the fitbit swim data. 

However it was a low step count day - so does that mean that (if I'd left the swim in fitbit land) my swimming PLUS my steps just didn't get me over the threshold for 'calories credit' being transferred to mfp?

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not seeing food logged into MFP showing up on Fitbit :*(

Best Answer
0 Votes

i think this works only for iOS and not Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Thurnbyhelen and welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community @stonermonk.

@Thurnbyhelen indeed, if you logged the swimming activity on MFP this will be transferred back to your Fitbit account as a manual activity. As you know all steps, calories, and active minutes recorded by your tracker are overridden for the duration of a manually logged activity by the activity's entered values. 

About your last question, I'm not sure if I get it right. However all your total calories burned in Fitbit transferred to your MFP account. If this is not happening my recommendation would be to reconnect your accounts, this also apply in your case @stonermonk. All food logged in MFP should appear as a summary of your meal time (i.e: Breakfast Summary) and the way it works does not change regardless of the platform you are using either if is iOS or Android.

So if the information is not transferred from Fitbit to your MFP, might be require to refresh the token of this integration, by reconnecting your accounts again. Check this post here if you need more help with this step.

(Update) @Thurnbyhelen you might be interested on this other thread, take a look at the scenario and my other reply here.

I'll be around, so feel free to post any comment in case you need more help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope it will work for me too, I have the same issue. Showing steps but not the calories. Its's so frustrating. Why won't it work 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @Instagkimmie, I was passing by and I saw you were having issues with MFP.

Tell me, how it goes so far is the issue still persisting? Have you tried my previous suggestion to reconnect both accounts one more time to refresh the integration? If you haven't, this post will give you the help you need.

Let me know if you have more questions. See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for taking the time to answer. It worked after i unsynced through the website. I had to be patient 🙂 the next day everything worked perfectly.

Kimberley Venken

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Instagkimmie, thank you for keep me posted and I'm happy to hear everything is working fine. 

Hope to see you again and stay awesome!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you so much!! This was driving me nuts.

Best Answer