Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate runs logged with Charge 2 and Strava

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I run using Strava, and am pleased that I can also now track my run live on my Charge 2 without having to look at my phone to see how I'm doing. However, even though my FitBit and Strava accounts are linked, I end up with two versions of every run logged in Strava. I know I could not use Strava as I run, and it would get logged later, but I like the audio cues for pace etc, and the GPS tracking also works better when the app is running along with me. I could also not use the Charge 2, but I like to be able to look at my heartrate, pace and distance between audio cues.

Has anyone figured out how to integrate Strava and their Charge 2 properly so that even when both are tracking a run, you only end up with one record in Strava?

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@AnnieL I work on the support team at Strava. If you run with both devices, you'll end up with both activities in Strava. If you like some aspects of both recording methods, then you should probably just not save one of the activities. Meaning you should just delete one version of the activity before saving it. Alternatively, you can record and save both versions, then delete one. Regardless, there is no way to prevent duplicate activity recordings if you record and save the activities with the two different applications. Feel free to submit a support ticket if you have any more questions.

Best Answer

Dear TravisR, 

Sorry I know this is an older post but I am new to Fitbit and have come across the post while looking for info on duplicate activity recordings. 

You mention that "if you like some aspects of both recording methods, then...you should just delete one version of the activity before saving it [or] ...you can record and save both versions, then delete one. 

If I was to do this (record and save both and then delete one) would the data from both recordings somehow be merged into the remaining recording?

For example, if I delete a Strava-generated linked cycle ride recording from Strava would the remaining Fitbit recording still be available in Strava and (crucially) with the Fitbit-generated heart rate data included? 

Alternatively, if I delete a Fitbit-generated linked cycle ride recording from Strava would the data that was generated by the Strava-initiated recording still be available to view in Fitbit? 

Many thanks for your advice. 

Best Answer

I record my bike rides in both Strava and on my Fitbit Surge and sometimes I get duplicate entries showing up in Strava. Does the data from these duplicate entries get recorded in Fitbit? In other words if they both show that I burned 350 calories is Fitbit going to show that I burned 700 calories? Does the data get counted twice?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ElliotBrian -- I am unsure about how it appears on Strava in terms of total burn, but there is no double count on fitbit.  If you wind up with multiple activity records for the same time period on the fitbit side, fitbit will only use the calorie burn (and any calculated steps if applicable) of one of them in calculating daily calorie burn and step totals. 

In your case, I believe the Surge bike ride activity will be counted in daily fitbit calorie burn and activity totals, but for the overlapping time period, the Strava activity will not be added into daily totals.  It will, however, show up on your activity list. 

You can test what it going on by deleting activities.  If you delete the Strava activity and totals do not change, then you will know is just a snap shot record of the imported activity, but that it is not overriding the fitbit activity.  (If you don't record the bike ride on your Surge, the Strava activity will override the calorie burn and active minutes recorded by your surge based on ordinary movement).  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
0 Votes
Many thanks.

Brian
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem. It seems as if other applications can take simultaneous fitbit data and integrate it - but Strava can't. I may try MapMyRide instead!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @jenniever.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the matter. 

Maybe you could post about it in our Feature Suggestions board. Other users could then vote and comment on your suggestion to show their support.

You can read the FAQ if you have any questions regarding that board.

Let me know if you have nay further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes