Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FitDataSync with Garmin Connect not working

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a Fitbit Flex and am trying to sync with Garmin Connect (I have an old Garmin 405). I added the FitDataSync app and I can log into my Garmin Connect account successfully (put in my email and password, check the "sync automatically" box, then hit "save" and I get a "saved successfully" message). I have the Fitbit authorized as well. However, then nothing happens. It doesn't have my last week of workouts, but more importantly it's not adding in new workouts. If I go to FitDataSync, enter in my info, and then hit "sync now," it says "failed to sync." Any ideas??  

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

I'm having the same issue.  It worked perfectly until last weekend and I haven't been able to sync since.  I have the Garmin Forerunner 310XT.

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue as well. It's always worked great in the past! This is super annoying!!!

Best Answer

I have been experiencing this same problem for about five days.  I had been using www.fitdatasync.com successfully for several months until now.  Now I only get a "Failed to sync" message -- and I get it on all browsers and all computers.

I have checked that my Garmin and my Fitbit One both switched correctly to EST.

Clearly the problem is at the fitdatasync end.

I've written several messages to the "contact us" link on the website, but I have had no answers.  I wonder if someone at FitBit can get some action on this?

Best Answer

I contacted Fitbit and they said it's not their problem (in so many words), so I contacted FitDataSync. Sounds like I may not get a response though...

Best Answer

I contacted them days ago, but no response.

Best Answer

I tried contacting them months ago. I never heard from them ever. Seems like the lights are out over at fitdatasync.com

I will say things were working OK until Fitbit released their latest app.  October 30th was the last successful sync I made.  Something has definitely changed on fitbit's side since fitdatasync is abandoned.

Best Answer

It seems like the failures started after the fitbit app update. So it seems to be an issue on the fitbit-side, not fitdatasync's. but how do we get fitbit to even look into this?

Best Answer

My guess is, they won't.  Too bad for us faithful Fitbit users.

Best Answer

Same here - very frustrating - I have emailed FitDataSync five times now and no reply - At least now I know its not just me having this problem.  This stinks! 😞

Best Answer

I contacted FitBit, they basically said it's not their problem. I contacted FitDataSync and of course heard nothing. I contacted Garmin Connect and they said this:

The fitbit device is not compatible with Garmin Connect. Fitbit offers a site unique to their fitness products. The Forerunner 405 is designed to operate alongside Garmin Connect and is not guaranteed to be compatible with other programs/sites, as we do not directly support third party software. 

I have a friend with a new Garmin and hers syncs right up to FitBit without even doing anything, however it uses Bluetooth. Iguess it may just be that the older Garmins won't allow it? If it's just through Garmin Connect, I don't see why it matters what Garmin it is. Oh well, I got my FitBit pretty accurate with distance, so I'll survive. Just annoying!!

Best Answer

After thinking about it, this seems like something that should be offered by Fitbit Premium.  Looking at the services that Premium offers (one of them is a "premium badge"... if only I could get that...) I kinda don't care about it.  HOWEVER - if sync options were made available - then take my money.

Best Answer

If any of you like the idea of Fitbit offering the sync service themselves (I suggested premium just because it would incentivise them more to do it) then go up vote the suggestion

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Premium-Feature-Sync-with-other-Services-e-g-Garmin...

Best Answer

@NCRunner wrote:

I contacted FitBit, they basically said it's not their problem. I contacted FitDataSync and of course heard nothing. I contacted Garmin Connect and they said this:

The fitbit device is not compatible with Garmin Connect. Fitbit offers a site unique to their fitness products. The Forerunner 405 is designed to operate alongside Garmin Connect and is not guaranteed to be compatible with other programs/sites, as we do not directly support third party software. 

I have a friend with a new Garmin and hers syncs right up to FitBit without even doing anything, however it uses Bluetooth. Iguess it may just be that the older Garmins won't allow it? If it's just through Garmin Connect, I don't see why it matters what Garmin it is. Oh well, I got my FitBit pretty accurate with distance, so I'll survive. Just annoying!!

What model of Garmin does your friend have? I'm dying to know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Very frustrating.

My theory is that FitBit (or Gamin?) did something with an app update that preceded this problem which "breaks" FitDataSync ability to access FitBit data. And, furthermore, I am concerned that FitBit is doing this intentionally since Garmin is now a competitor of theirs (with their vivofit and vivosmart line of Fitness trackers).

If true, Strava did something similar a year or two ago and ther was quite a lot of people pissed off about that. I'm not sure it helped them business-wise, just upset a bunch of users.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has nothing to do with a Fitbit app. All the data is stored on Fitbit's servers. Fitbit offers an open API for developers to sync data to their own apps. The API has not been changed. The problem is on the other end. If Fitbit had changed the API all the other partner apps would have stopped working.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

This has nothing to do with a Fitbit app. All the data is stored on Fitbit's servers. Fitbit offers an open API for developers to sync data to their own apps. The API has not been changed. The problem is on the other end. If Fitbit had changed the API all the other partner apps would have stopped working.

It's just a theory. I don't know. Doesn't sound like anyone in this forum knows, so we're all guessing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DrGerm My comment was not solely directed to you. Several people posted that they think the Fitbit app broke it. I was only trying to clarify that the app in not involved in the syncing of 3rd party aps. All the data sits on the Fitbit servers and developers use the Fitbit open API to access some of that info. 2 posters seem to think FitDataSync is ignoring them. I would keep after them for a response. Either they changed something or Garmin cut them off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just purchased a Fitbit Charge.  I've been trying to get my Garmin Connect data over to the fitbit dashboard for a week now, emailed fitdatasync a few times with no response, talked to garmin support, and emailed fitbit support.  Basically all of this has led to no solution whatsoever.  This is extremely frustrating and nobody seems to be accountable at Fitbit.  Last night I tried to sync through fitdatasync again for the zillionth time, and I was shocked that it actually told me the sync was successful.  After some experimentation, it became clear that the only reason the sync declared success was that I had no Garmin Connect activites from my Forerunner 310XT in the past 7 days.  As soon as I logged an activity on the Garmin connect site and tried the sync again, it failed.  As soon as I deleted the activity from Garmin and synced again, then the fitdatasync declared success.

So, as long as you don't actually have any data to sync from garmin over to fitbit, then the fitdatasync app works fine, which of course is useless.

Fitbit needs to step up and take accountability for providing one or more supported methods for people with various manufacturer devices to get their activity data into the fitbit dashboard.  Very disappointing and now I'm very likely to get a Fitbit device for my wife, which was my original plan after trying out the Fitbit Charge I just purchased.  I'm also seriously considering returning the Fitbit Charge device for refund.

Enough of the "not my problem" mentality from Fitbit!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well if enough people up vote my idea that Fitbit provide a sync solution under their premium service, then we might get a solution. Scroll to the top where the link I provided is and go up vote! 🙂
Best Answer